Which movie ruined a good book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
mplaunty
Currently Reading: Triplicity
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mplaunty.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Re: Which movie ruined a good book?

Post by mplaunty »

The Divergent Series. I couldn't even finish watching the movies. Also, Youth In Revolt by CD Payne.
DaniAlex
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danialex.html
Latest Review: It's Time to Align by Allen Lottinger
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by DaniAlex »

I try to stay away from movies or series that was inspired or based on a book. After so many disappointments with great books becoming movies, the writing in the movies never did the book justice.
I think after watching the first movie of Hunger Games, I gave up on movie adapations of books. For me it's either the book or movie, because one way or another the movie isnt going to live up to our expectations.
A book that hasn't been mentioned yet that was made into a movie is "Queen of the Damn". They combine two books into one movie and ruin the potential of the series.
What did you guys think of "Vampire Diaries" or "True Blood"?
snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Post by snowbear »

The movie adaptation of the Percy Jackson series really didn't give justice to the beauty of the book. It's disappointing because the book series really had so much potential. I'm hoping that another studio would make another adaptation of the series. :(
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

This may be a bit controversial, but... the Twilight series. I actually enjoyed the books enough on their own, but the movies received such a terrible reputation that it carried over onto the books. I honestly don't think the book were that badly written. There were certainly main cliches, given that it was a romance / urban fantasy with vampires and werewolves, but I've definitely read worse literature in the same genre.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Iamgabby98 wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 15:05 Honestly The Hunger Games was ruined for me. The movie wasn’t accurate at all. The Divergent series is also a big time ruined movie. In the last book Tris does, but in the movie she doesn’t.
Agreed when it comes to The Hunger Games. The movie was inaccurate in several ways, but one thing that particularly bothered me off the bat was that both Katniss and Peeta in the movie were not nearly as malnourished as I perceived they were in the book. I did understand that Jennifer Lawrence actively does not conform to a certain societal standard, but given that book specifically portrayed the people from the district as poor, starving, and struggling, her movie interpretation of the character just didn't feel right to me.
SMAhmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smahmed.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by SMAhmed »

People have already mentioned these two but Percy Jackson and A Song of Ice and Fire. All the Percy Jackson movies fill me with some kind of rage because of just how absurd and of kilter they were and I'm thankful they only got to 2 movies before having to call it quits. A Song of Ice and Fire is where I'm more conflicted since the first four seasons of the show were amazing but then it started going downhill until we got Season 8 which, yes I am still VERY bitter about.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

Twilight Saga.
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

My Sister's Keeper was a good movie on it's own, but was not true to the book at all. Even Jodi Picoult said it went too far. I think it would have made a better mini-series because they would have been able to include more information.
eliviac35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliviac35.html
Latest Review: Tears & Laughters by Ray R. F.

Post by eliviac35 »

I have to say the Twilight series. Although I loved the movies, they didn’t do the books justice.
eliviac35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliviac35.html
Latest Review: Tears & Laughters by Ray R. F.

Post by eliviac35 »

I hated all of the Divergent series movie adaptations. I watched the second movie before finishing the second book and it made me want to stop reading the series altogether.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

The You series based on the book written by Caroline Kepnes
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

Percy Jackson was so ruined. It didn't deserve the trash movie it was given. I love the musical so much better, but the people who love the books don't deserve others to view the fandom based on the movies.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

You know most movies can never compare to their book counterparts. I remember reading the Harry Potter series and being excited to watch the movies, only to be disappointed like everyone else. However, the Hunger Game series movies were great.
_priyamvada_
Favorite Book: the book theif
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyamvada.html
Latest Review: Pivotal Moments by Susanne Birgersdotter
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by _priyamvada_ »

All The Bright Places
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

Steven King's "In the tall grass". Also, not a movie but when it comes to tv series it is definitely Game of Thrones.

Return to “Films and Books”