Which movie ruined a good book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Bookwormet
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Which movie ruined a good book?

Post by Bookwormet »

I say the whole twilight series was not what I'd thought it be and come on now you took breaking dawn and only did two movies which it clearly should have been minimal 3
Anisa_Sadaf
Currently Reading: The Astonishing Color of After
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anisa-sadaf.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Anisa_Sadaf »

Divergent series. It was such a disappointment.
amalhaseeb

Post by amalhaseeb »

WIth Hunger Games, I think when the movies came out, it became a lot more about the love triangle than the book ever was about.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

It has got to be The Hobbit for me. It's such a great fun adventure book, but the movie's tone didn't capture it at all. They went for an epic tone, which fits TLOTR, but not The Hobbit. I hope I never see those things again.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

Italiansweety1982 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 16:13 Eragon
I agree. The movie absolutely stunk. I’ve seen the movie twice and that was once too many.
Elphie
Currently Reading: Toward Happier Choices
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elphie.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Elphie »

Joe Hadithi wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 06:26 Sorry to say this but the entire Harry Potter series. All the scenes I'd dreamed up in my head were a notch higher than what the movie guys came up with. Although mine is a strong dislike, not hatred lol.
Immediately when I saw this topic I entered to write the same response as yours. The harry potter book and movie are quite different because the stories in the movie are shortened and you do not really get the whole thing.
1library2
Currently Reading:

Post by 1library2 »

My book was Twilight. Bella's character seemed way more witty and outgoing then the movies characters. Made the vampires way different then reading about them. I walked out half way through the first twilight and kept reading the books.
Rawan Alamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rawan-alamin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Rawan Alamin »

The Da Vinci Code movie wasn't as good as the book. The book included way too many details the movie missed, if you didn't read the book you will see the movie as good, but if you read the book it's way better.
Running Bookworm
Currently Reading:

Post by Running Bookworm »

The movie based on the book Mrs. Peregrine’s home for peculiar children was a real let down for me. While I definetly understand that there is no point in making a movie if it is exatcly the same as the book,this movie could have really used the book’s story plot; I mean the story was unclear and felt rushed in the movie. Also, I was really disapointed by the movie’s “reinvention” of the characters. To top it all off, the creepy and fascinating vibes given off in the books were basically what got me hooked on the books and put me on the edge of my seat, wanting more, whereas no such vibes were given off in the movie. In any case, you would not see me recommend yhis movie without the heavy use of sarcasm.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

The Secret Life of Pi - I shouldn't say "ruined" but it certainly doesn't do this book justice. The move by itself is very nice, but.... that book is packed with literary genius. It has so much to offer than what was seen in the move.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Artizi wrote: 16 May 2019, 07:49 The hobbit. I just don't get the idea of turning it into three movies!
Me too. They made a completely different story.
Phantom24601
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phantom24601.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Phantom24601 »

I usually object to the idea that a movie can ruin a book. Movies are a totally different kind of media and need to be judged differently. What works in a book many not necessarily be as good on film. Directors have to make hard decisions sometimes, knowing that they can't and won't please everyone.That said, Netflix's new Anne of Green gables series, Anne With An E really got my goat. I can't even watch it because I completely and totally disagree with their interpretation of Montgomery's book. All the reviews say they made everything way too dark and gritty and that doesn't feel like something Montgomery would have wanted. It feels like they were just trying to add shock value and modernize it but you don't mess with such a feel good classic, especially one that has already been successfully adapted. I really have no idea what they were thinking.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

The Percy Jackson series. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
MissPenelope3
Currently Reading: Candle Man
Bookshelf Size: 49

Post by MissPenelope3 »

The Divergent series! A friend and I read the whole series together and really enjoyed the series. We were excited to find out that it was being adapted into a movie series, and naturally, were anticipating its release. Once it was available on DVD, we were excited and held high expectations that were unfortunately not met after watching it for the first time! :( I won't give out any spoilers, but throughout the film series, there were events that were out of order or actors that didn't match (even slightly) to their respected character. The most frustrating, for me, was a few related scenes that involved a very important character whose involvement was crucial for future events and they were omitted from the original cut! :x You would only be able to catch it if you watched all of the special features for that movie. Very disappointing on the director's (or whoever was in charge) part! After the first movie, the films only got worse from there. My friend and I only watched them once to give them a chance because the books were so good. Would definitely recommend the books over the movie to anyone interested in reading/watching! :)
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

So far, i have read and saw a lot of movies as well as books but i never disliked anything from the film adaptation. there are things that are changed in the film though but it is fine with me.

Return to “Films and Books”