Which movie ruined a good book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Cybbie_09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cybbie-09.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Which movie ruined a good book?

Post by Cybbie_09 »

Iamgabby98 wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 15:05 Honestly The Hunger Games was ruined for me. The movie wasn’t accurate at all. The Divergent series is also a big time ruined movie. In the last book Tris does, but in the movie she doesn’t.
Thank God someone mentioned Divergent because that was one of the worst messes ever right after all the Percy Jackson movies!!! I was also disappointed that Maze Runner did not follow the series starting on book 2. I was looking forward to seeing how they were going to reproduce the killer silver balls of goo oh well....I guess that's why books are better because the author can be as imaginative as they want whereas the movie is limited in what it can portray.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Bram Stoker's Dracula produced by Coppola. I hated it so much, it changed everything that was respectable about the characters and made a mockery of the entire content of the book. Instead of being true gentleman, as they are depicted in the book, the men in the film lose all likeliness and the women turn, from educated, strong female characters into hopeless, easy women with no morals. I was so deceived watching it, especially since the casting is so fantastic!
ashtonf
Currently Reading: The Young Elites
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ashtonf »

Divergent wasn't even a good series to begin with and the movies were ten times worse than the books.
GC50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gc50.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Post by GC50 »

In my opinion, Percy Jackson movies completely ruined the story.
jpond
Favorite Book: The Darkest King (Lords of the Underworld #1)
Currently Reading: The Darkest Sampler (Lords of the Underworld Sampler)
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by jpond »

For me, it was misery, although I still love the movie too. The novel though.. that glorious book. I think my biggest disappointment was the cutting vs hobbling of the feet. Looking at when the movie was released though, I suppose hobbling was more appropriate.

Twilight, I LOVED the book series so much and was *very* unhappy with the actor selection at first. When none of the actors matched the characters in my 'memory.' Once I watched the films though, I feel in love with them too.
Vysakh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vysakh.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by Vysakh »

"The da vinci code" by Dan Brown. The film version was directed by Ron Howard and robert langdon was portrayed by Tom Hanks. The movie was one of the worst film adaptation of a book . It failed to create the air of suspense as the book did. Even though the music was engaging, the film lacked a good screenplay and direction.
clumsy_secret
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clumsy-secret.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by clumsy_secret »

Gone girl.. it is better read than watched as a movie. The book describes perfect emotions and scenes, you may or may not get the same feel while watching the movie.
paulkinyuao+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

This has to be R.l Stine's Goosebumps.

I can still taste its ashen remains.
rpayne111rp
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rpayne111rp.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by rpayne111rp »

GC50 wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 10:22 In my opinion, Percy Jackson movies completely ruined the story.
The Percy Jackson movies were terrible! Riordan is a great author. He wrote books that are both fun and really informative about several different mythologies. It makes me furious how bad the movies were done. They just plucked parts from several books and threw them together in a plot sequence that made no sense whatsoever.
Simina Dinca
Currently Reading: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Trad. Chinese Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simina-dinca.html
Latest Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi

Post by Simina Dinca »

Eragon. The movie made me very angry
cheryl_burke
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cheryl_burke »

"THE GIRL ON TRAIN" They didn't do a good job of just explaining anything. If I hadn't read the book it would have flown right over me that Rachel got cheated on and that Anna was the other woman.
Mariahbenson6
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 371
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariahbenson6.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mariahbenson6 »

Immortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare was a wonderful book, but a terrible movie.

I recall finishing the Immortal Instruments series and thinking 'I really wish they would make this into a movie'. Well, a few years later they did. After watching it, I wondered 'if the books were actually any good'. So of course I had to reread the books to determine if they were good and the movie was just poor. Or if when I read the books I was just too young to truly apricate good entertainment.

The books were still good. Therefore the movie was just very very poor.

I have not seen the TV show they have come out with based on the series. It looks to have gained more popularity than the movie did, so I am guessing it is better than the movie. What do you think about the TV show?
casdill
Currently Reading: Thank and Grow Rich
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by casdill »

The first Hobbit film was perfect in every way, but it absolutely didn't need to be a trilogy. Adding two extra films and tons of unnecessary story for the book's plot just destroyed it. I was so furious I didn't even want to see Five Armies and it took nearly a year before I even bought it on DVD for the sake of collection... ugh. I loved the first one so so much, I nearly cried at the word for word intro, it did the story such a great justice. Cannot. Believe. He trashed it like that!
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

The Gunslinger was terrible and the book series is so good!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Nym182 wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 09:11 The Gunslinger was terrible and the book series is so good!
I totally agree!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Films and Books”