Live Action Adaptations

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Live Action Adaptations

Post by Emi_Review »

A lot of Disney adaptations have been coming to screen lately and I was wondering what people's general impression of live adaptations were?
With the exception of the Beauty and the Beast (simply because it followed the animation but added a few extra bits), I find other adaptations not as good as the original, especially when it comes to anime adaptations, what are everyone else's thoughts?
acupofsubtletea
Currently Reading: A Study in Charlotte
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acupofsubtletea.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by acupofsubtletea »

I haven’t seen any anime adaptions, but I tend to agree with you about the Disney ones. I really enjoyed almost everything about Beauty and the Beast, but most of the other ones have fallen short for me. They’re all visually stunning, but I’ve been feeling like the casting of big name actors and extending the plot to make it more feature length hasn’t done anything to make the new live action any better than the original.
VJohnson0615
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vjohnson0615.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by VJohnson0615 »

I really enjoyed the Live adaptation of Beauty and the Beast. I didn’t see Cinderella, but I have high hopes for the Little Mermaid. My sister and I were just brainstorming on accesses we thinking would be good in it!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I've only seen Cinderella. It was okay but nothing special. I think you should make a remake when you can improve or add something to the original. I don't see how making live action adaptations does any of those things. It seems like Disney just wants to cash in on past successes rather than create something new.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:

Post by Emi_Review »

AliceofX wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 14:23 I've only seen Cinderella. It was okay but nothing special. I think you should make a remake when you can improve or add something to the original. I don't see how making live action adaptations does any of those things. It seems like Disney just wants to cash in on past successes rather than create something new.
I agree, I would love to see another original Disney based on old fairytales or folklore. It seems like a lot of movies are just doing remakes rather than making original films at the moment.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:

Post by Emi_Review »

VJohnson0615 wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 16:56 I really enjoyed the Live adaptation of Beauty and the Beast. I didn’t see Cinderella, but I have high hopes for the Little Mermaid. My sister and I were just brainstorming on accesses we thinking would be good in it!
Let's hope it gives us the same feelings as the live action of Beauty and the Beast did! The Little Mermaid was one of my favourite Disney films growing up.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:

Post by Emi_Review »

acupofsubtletea wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 10:36 I haven’t seen any anime adaptions, but I tend to agree with you about the Disney ones. I really enjoyed almost everything about Beauty and the Beast, but most of the other ones have fallen short for me. They’re all visually stunning, but I’ve been feeling like the casting of big name actors and extending the plot to make it more feature length hasn’t done anything to make the new live action any better than the original.
I completely agree, I think a lot of it is to show these stunning effects but it falls short on the overall feel that we had with the original versions.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I don't like the live adaptation of full metal alchemist. It's horrible!!!
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:

Post by Emi_Review »

amsula_2018 wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 16:31 I don't like the live adaptation of full metal alchemist. It's horrible!!!
Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood is one of my favourite animes. Knowing how bad previous live adaptations of animes usually are, I decided to not watch the live action of this. I'm glad I didn't now that I've read your comment! 😅
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I liked Beauty & the Beast, I heard the Jungle Book was good, Cinderella was terrible, I want to see Aladdin because I think it will be spectacular. Tarzan came out pretty bad because it was confusing. I heard Attack on Titan will scare you & will be pretty good I don’t know if it came out yet.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

ObsessedBookNerd wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 01:53 I heard the Jungle Book was good
Oh, right. I totally forgot about Jungle Book. I guess when you think of Disney you immediately think of the princesses, so it totally slipped my mind. Personally, I thought it was meh. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but the ending was different than in the animated film. It completely changes the meaning of the story and not for the better.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:

Post by Emi_Review »

ObsessedBookNerd wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 01:53 I liked Beauty & the Beast, I heard the Jungle Book was good, Cinderella was terrible, I want to see Aladdin because I think it will be spectacular. Tarzan came out pretty bad because it was confusing. I heard Attack on Titan will scare you & will be pretty good I don’t know if it came out yet.
I haven't actually seen the Jungle Book live action yet. I think Attack on Titan already has a live-action movie out, I haven't seen that but have seen the anime, I can imagine the movie would be scary if it sticks to the premise of the anime/manga.
E_Thompson7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-thompson7.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by E_Thompson7 »

AliceofX wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 14:23 I've only seen Cinderella. It was okay but nothing special. I think you should make a remake when you can improve or add something to the original. I don't see how making live action adaptations does any of those things. It seems like Disney just wants to cash in on past successes rather than create something new.
My thoughts exactly, it's clear they aren't making them out of creative inspiration.
Malefecent was... edgy in a strange and terrible way. Cinderella was a swing and miss. Tarzan I'm pretty sure was entirely filmed with green screen, as if the filmmakers just didn't care anymore.
book worm1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm1.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by book worm1 »

I am currently watching Emma Watson in Beauty and the Beast, as I type this! Wonderful adaptation. It's quite funny to see the actors who played Bard in LOTR and Olaf in Frozen in the roles of Gaston and his servant. I love the music and dancing. I am a sucker for musicals anyway but this one is great.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

I am not really a fan of live-action adaptation. It takes away the fun of watching it animated.

Return to “Films and Books”