My Sister’s Keeper

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
sam_jennifer_may
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jennifer-may.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

My Sister’s Keeper

Post by sam_jennifer_may »

I just recently read My Sister’s Keeper and was blown away by the book, and more specifically the ending.
I have watched the film a few times and always thought it good but after reading the book an shocked by how different the film plot is from the book.
I’m just wondering everyone’s thought on the differences. Why do you think the film ending was so different from the book? Which one do you guys prefer?
Jenmarie22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jenmarie22 »

Sometimes it id diffirent. The book and the movie is not actually the same. The movie cannot be actually like the book.
oogies
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oogies.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by oogies »

I have watched the movie and it near devastated me, in a good way. I loved the movie but won't watch it again. If that makes any sense.

With regards to the book and movie that is completely different, I have made the choice to either read the books and never watch the movie or watch the movie before I read the books. I find that the movies never lives up to my expectations if I read the books before watching the movie. Books satisfy me way more than movies lately. After this post, I am adding my sister's keeper to my book list :-D like I don't have enough on my list already.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I had to read the book for school & I hated it. I won’t even watch the movie or ever reread the book again it is officially blacklisted for me & no matter what it is never to be seen again.
Christineegm
Favorite Book: And I Darken
Currently Reading: Love and Friendship
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christineegm.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Christineegm »

I absolutely loved the book and it is still one of my favorites. However the ending in the movie is totally different and I am astonished at why they made such a huge change.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I only read the book but I did read a summary of the movie and I'm disappointed at how many things they changed. They should not have changed the ending, it was powerful.
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

I have read this book several times, and when I saw the movie I was extremely disappointed. For me, the ending was one of the most powerful and defining moments of the book, and it was completely missing from the movie. Although I understand that a movie cannot completely follow the plot of a book, in this case the ending was so different that it completely changed the message of the story.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

YES I was so confused because I watched the movie first. I cried so hard and loved it. Then I thought I would pick up the book and have another good cry. I was so incredibly shocked by the difference in ending that I didn't even get to have my cry.
KatiesReading
Currently Reading: Strange the Dreamer
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by KatiesReading »

I absolutely loved the book...but I also absolutely loved the film. I think in this case you have to treat them as different stories. If the film had followed the books plot (no spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen/read them - but please do because they are amazing) it may have appeared a little gimicky, out of nowhere, and just trying to get a reaction for a film. I think it's also a lot easier to explain the books ending, and the impact it has, rather than in the film where it probably would have made it much longer...but both were still great versions!

Return to “Films and Books”