TV series versus movie adaptations - which works better for which books?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

TV series versus movie adaptations - which works better for which books?

Post by Lil Reads »

One of the things that can make or break the adaptation of a book is what gets cut or what gets added to it. For example, the movie version of A Series of Unfortunate Events was criticized for combining plot elements from several books into one movie whereas the Netflix series does not have the same need to compress events.

Are some books better suited to TV adaptations, and are other books better suited to movie adaptations?
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Honestly, I think a TV series is always a better medium for a book adaptation. Unless, of course, you're talking about a really short book. There's just so much more that you can tell in 10-12 hours rather than just 2. A movie is always going to be someone's interpretation of the book whereas a TV series can be an accurate depiction of it.
Christineegm
Favorite Book: And I Darken
Currently Reading: Love and Friendship
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christineegm.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Christineegm »

I believe that TV Series are always the way to go, especially with book series. One chapter = one episode. One book = one season. However, I do agree that combining plot elements in a season or episodes can become frustrating to avid book fans, and hopefully directors will take note. Usually with book to movie adaptations, many scenes are deemed unimportant and wind up getting cut. As in the lastest, The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken, whose movie was released recently. Many scenes were cut and made the character's relationships seemed rushed and forced, portraying a different feel than the book hhad originally provided.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

Easily television series because of how many hours you have to explore different story lines. A good example would be Ready Player One. Felt this could’ve been better as a television series.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

i always prefer the tv series version than the movies but there is always an exception, the lord of the rings.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I believe tv series is better for adaptation of books because you can have a more accurate representation of it. Also some books have a long series like Percy Jackson which has another series and then another spin off to that but the books all tie in together so it would be easier to adapt into a tv series instead of a movie. Some movies made it better I think, for example I like The Immortal Instruments better as a movie than as the tv series shadowhunters.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I think a TV series is the best way to go for book adaptations. You can fit so much more information into a TV Series than a movie. There are successful film franchises such as Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter but I sometimes wonder what information could have been added, how different would they have been if they were a TV Series? Some books have to be a TV Series such as Game of Thrones, there are so many different characters, plots and locations that you really couldn't fit it into a two-hour movie franchise. Ultimately it depends on how well the film/tv series stick to the best and most important parts of the books.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

tv series end up needlessly drawing out a storyline, the one-off movie is the way to go.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Azlan82
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Azlan82 »

HailKingEbi wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 16:24 tv series end up needlessly drawing out a storyline, the one-off movie is the way to go.
After the Dark Tower movie I never want to see a book made into a movie again...or 7 books made into one movie as was the case with this one.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

Definitely TV series. I enjoyed the Hunger Games movie adaptation as much as I enjoyed the book, though.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I think tv series is better option for book series. Tv series can use every detail of the book and movies cut a lot of our favourite scenes.. harry potter movies are superb but it could be super awesome if it was a tv series.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I think it very much depends on the book. Something which has a great deal of detail, and has several novels (like A Series of Unfortunate Events) would be better shown in a tv series (unless they make several films, like the Harry Potter series). I think for one-off books, especially those with a lot of action, a film could work if it's done right!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Movie adaptations are better. TV series needlessly drag out the story just to make it into a full fledged episode.

Return to “Films and Books”