Most Bizarre Movies you ever watched?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Most Bizarre Movies you ever watched?

Post by MsLisa »

I think the most bizarre movie I wished I never watched was a film by Harmony Korine called Ken Park. MISTAKE. I had seen two other films by him and enjoyed them (Kids and Spring Breakers) and I stupidly thought I might just watch any random other one cause they would be the same (follow similar storylines). I honestly, really wish I could forget it, I'm not even sure why I watched the whole thing in the first place. :lol2: :? :cry:

Another bizarre one I watched was The Lure (2015), it thinks its Polish, but I actually enjoyed it for the most part but it did get increasingly weird. I'd recommend it though.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Years ago, I randomly bought a Roman Polanski movie called Repulsion from 1965 with Catherine Deneuve. She had a fear of men, and when her sister leaves, she's in the apartment alone. So she has these really crazy hallucinations and finally goes mad. My skin crawled at certain points. I didn't dislike it, but I don't want to keep watching it.

But that doesn't stop me from searching other weird movies, so I'll look for the Lure. ๐Ÿ˜
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

Weirdest movie I watched was "The Wizard of Speed and Time", but I liked the weirdness.
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

I have seen so many movies that I think the count is in the thousands, and hands down the most bizarre movie I've ever seen is Eraserhead. It disturbed me in a way that years later I'm still uncomfortable thinking about it.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

The Fountain (2006)
โ€œI just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.โ€
โ€• Steven Wright
DATo

Post by DATo »

paigegreenpurba wrote: โ†‘07 Apr 2019, 03:40 I have seen so many movies that I think the count is in the thousands, and hands down the most bizarre movie I've ever seen is Eraserhead. It disturbed me in a way that years later I'm still uncomfortable thinking about it.
Eraserhead works if you think of it as a dream (or nightmare). Actually, I consider it a perfect dramatization of a dream sequence. Once I understood this I looked at the movie in a new way and crazy as it appeared it then achieved a certain artistic brilliance (and certainly novelty) in my opinion.
โ€œI just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.โ€
โ€• Steven Wright
Hyscy_2018

Post by Hyscy_2018 »

If you ask me, I would say it's Final Destination
Didn't get the theme from the movie although the two persons who were suppose to be alive died in the movie... The way the characters died still plays in my head most times
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

DATo wrote: โ†‘07 Apr 2019, 06:00
paigegreenpurba wrote: โ†‘07 Apr 2019, 03:40 I have seen so many movies that I think the count is in the thousands, and hands down the most bizarre movie I've ever seen is Eraserhead. It disturbed me in a way that years later I'm still uncomfortable thinking about it.
Eraserhead works if you think of it as a dream (or nightmare). Actually, I consider it a perfect dramatization of a dream sequence. Once I understood this I looked at the movie in a new way and crazy as it appeared it then achieved a certain artistic brilliance (and certainly novelty) in my opinion.
I suppose I could try watching it again with this mindset. Maybe I'd appreciate it a little more!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

To this day, I'm still weirded out by both Stoker and Speed Racer, though I really shouldn't be, considering how linear both films are. Black Swan as well.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Millennium Actress though the weirdness was expected. I was introduced to the film through the creators other work. There's a lot of flip flopping between past, present, real and unreal.

Really like how the interviewer was identified by the focal character as being her protector when they worked together. It will grab at you when the focal character gets a visit from a past encounter of whom she despised.

An unexpected weirdness came from the Hills Have Eyes.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Rubber. Ever see Rubber? Homicidal car tire, that just rolls along on its own, finding people to kill. Seriously.
sjauhar
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjauhar.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by sjauhar »

I don't know if it qualifies as bizarre, but it kind of was. The 1987 adaptation of Northanger Abbey (yes, it's a Jane Austen novel). While the novel itself is a tongue and cheek for the Gothic novels of her youth (The Italian by Radclife, The Monk by Monk Lewis, you get the picture), the adaptation went a little weird. Lots of imagery of scantily clad heroines, blood, and it has a more Gothic a la Hammer Films type feel than Gothic a la late Georgian/Regency kind of feel. It's really weird and isn't very accurate at all (lots of synthesizers being used for atmosphere I am afraid), but it's also a bit enjoyable in it's horridness. I like it more for it's Halloween appropriate feel than for trying to be an Austen adaptation. So, it's weird for an Austen film, but if one was watching it for pure campy Halloween goodness, it works.
finebunchofnothing
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by finebunchofnothing »

There is one Russian movie called Oxygen, and it was weird in every possible way... but it was the best kind of weird I've ever seen. I don't know how the creators of the movie got the idea, how they felt during writing and filming and whether they stopped to think "Jeez, it's weird" even once, and I loved the final result. But it was weird.
And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fear
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Killer Clowns from Outer Space was a weird one! Turning people into cotton candy cocoons to eat them...
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Hard Candy is a weird one. For most of the movie, it's just two characters, lots of talking and strange interactions. Although categorized as weird, it's still a movie I'd recommend.

Return to โ€œFilms and Booksโ€