Lord of the Rings TV Show

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Lord of the Rings TV Show

Post by KatSims92 »

How are my fellow Tolkien fans feeling about the upcoming Lord of the Rings series? I'm on the fence, personally. The books and the films are so beautiful already.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

Can't wait for this series. I have read that we will see more of the boy Aragorn and I am definitely looking forward to that.
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

I wasn't aware that there was a television series coming out! I'm a little hesitant about how it's going to pan out, since the movies are pretty close to perfect, in my opinion. Interested to see where they're going to take the series!
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

scratchcat318 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 20:45 I wasn't aware that there was a television series coming out! I'm a little hesitant about how it's going to pan out, since the movies are pretty close to perfect, in my opinion. Interested to see where they're going to take the series!
I had no idea either! I've only seen the first movie, which I don't really remember. But I do remember not disliking it. I'm so used to seeing the characters played by certain people. It would be interesting to see who they're picking and the style.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Sgt_Pepper98
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sgt_Pepper98 »

KatSims92 wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 14:55 How are my fellow Tolkien fans feeling about the upcoming Lord of the Rings series? I'm on the fence, personally. The books and the films are so beautiful already.
Wow! I had no idea they were making a tv show. I hope they choose wisely when deciding on the cast because characters such as Aragorn and Legolas (they’re my favorites) were so great in the movies!
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

scratchcat318 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 20:45 I wasn't aware that there was a television series coming out! I'm a little hesitant about how it's going to pan out, since the movies are pretty close to perfect, in my opinion. Interested to see where they're going to take the series!
Same here! I did not know that there is a television series of lotr. I am already happy with the movies already. I don't know if the series can surpass the movie, considering its made into perfection.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
tanchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanchett.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by tanchett »

I didn't know there was a TV series in the works. I think it may be okay if they focus on aspects of the story that weren't featured in the films. Honestly, though, the films were so great and so well cast, I can't imagine enjoying other actors portraying my favorites. Imagine someone other than Elijah Wood being Frodo or Viggo Mortensen being Aragorn.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I am so nervous! I really don't want them to mess it up.

I heard they were going to be focusing on the Fall of Gondolin. Supposedly Aragorn wasn't going to be featured at all.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

Hey, i am a fan of it..They really nice.
racelaine
Currently Reading: Dangerous Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-racelaine.html
Latest Review: Aftermath by Charles Williams

Post by racelaine »

I'm very interested to see whether they cut the same things. It would be really cool to see some of the characters who didn't appear at all in the movies. That being said, if they take the exact same path and tell the exact same story, I think it could fall flat quickly. The movies are so loved, and did such a good job of capturing the same feeling as the books. That's rare enough as it is. Lightning rarely strikes the same place twice, y'know?
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

KatSims92 wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 14:55 How are my fellow Tolkien fans feeling about the upcoming Lord of the Rings series? I'm on the fence, personally. The books and the films are so beautiful already.
Agreed: on the fence. The movies transcended my expectations, and while there have been some truly spectacular TV adaptations of books and graphic novels in recent years, new stories derived from such classic material could either be brilliant or mar Hollywood's legacy with Tolkien's material.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius
cassibear13

Post by cassibear13 »

I have to admit, I am on the fence as well. I have loved the movies and books so much so the possibility for the T.V. show to be a let down is large. I think that T.V. shows can sometimes loose certain elements when they are based off of a movie and book series. I am nonetheless excited to watch the T.V. show and hope that it will be good. I am waiting for the cast list to come out so I can see the casting choices, I am finding it hard to envision the characters as anything but the movie actors.

My younger sister (12) hasn't read or watched The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit but she is saying that she is ready to watch the T.V. show, so I am hoping that the T.V. show will reach out to the younger generation.

All in all, I am excited about the T.V. show and am ready to watch it but I know that I will always hold the books and movies a little closer to my heart.
E_Sethna

Post by E_Sethna »

I'm excited to see the LOTR TV show come to life--though a part of me is telling myself not to get too excited, just in case. They recently released a teaser trailer that showed off the staff working on the production. All big names that have worked on other big movies and series. Seeing that, I couldn't help but think that they are trying to gain our trust (that the series will be awesome because of all those great people working on it)...yet I'm hesitant to trust them :eusa-think: .

However it turns out, it will be nice to see some new content--especially from the Second Age!
DragonElf

Post by DragonElf »

I thought that the books was a lot better than the movie, the books explained more where the movie changed everything around.
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

I’m on the same side as you. The series was written so immensely original at the time that it blazed the path to modern fantasy books. Without Tolkien, fantasy would not be the way it is. I hope that the new show lives up to the books. It will probably be pretty popular either way.

Return to “Films and Books”