Do you follow any television shows?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 351

Re: Do you follow any television shows?

Post by Tars »

Westworld

The series is another wonderful embodiment of the idea from science fiction genius, Michael Crichton. This is not a regular senseless action movie, as it turned out to be, to the great disappointment of many, with the penultimate remake of "Vice", starring Bruce Willis and Ambyr Childers. On the contrary, it has a full-fledged plot with intrigue and development, which unfortunately couldn't have been achieved in any previous adaptations due to the temporal constraints of a feature film. Alas, the both movies referred to violence as basic human nature and not as a individual choice. Their entire plot could have been easily fit into a couple of capacious phrases: "All men are pigs" and "Every victim has the potential for turning into a monster". Since the premise is basically remained unchanged, the same definitions can be also applied to the current version, although the latter is rather a question of personal growth, not some program error.

Thanks to the serial format, the new layers of complexity were added to the original story, making it multifaceted, addictive, intelligent, and interesting. It is no longer just about a highly sophisticated theme park which offers to its rich clients a chance to visit the long gone era of the Old West with seemingly endless possibilities and only one brutally simple rule: do whatever you like to do. The TV series allows experiencing the Westworld from the androids perspective, revealing cruel details of their design and origin. It does an in-depth analysis of the psychology of victim and transformations forced on it through constant exposure to violence; confronts viewers with fascinating philosophical questions and scientific concepts; subtly explores some very valid topics, like humanity, religion, ethnic, morality, and pretty much highlights everything that is wrong with entertainment media nowadays.

A stellar ensemble of the high-caliber actors with very well-known faces does an incredible job at bringing their respective characters to life. Authentic atmosphere and high-quality scenery of both the future and the Old West worlds create beautiful visuals with fantastic music and effects added to the mix. As a result, we have another masterpiece from HBO.
john Kinyua mumbi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by john Kinyua mumbi »

Storm over paradise, terevisa
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

A lot!

The Wire and Justified are gems with beautifully created worlds.

Rectify needed more audience love and attention.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I've been liking one time or another, True Blood, Dr. House, Vampire Diaries, Lucifer, Will & Grace, Mysteries of Laura, Bones, The Big Bang Theory and many more. I usually don't have a much chance to watch TV, because kids are hogging it, but sometimes a rare moment arises to enjoy some tv fun too.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 351

Post by Tars »

Designated Survivor

Political thriller as it should be. Perhaps somewhat predictable, due to the laws of the genre, but not without unexpected twists and hence quite pleasurable to watch, as long as you don't expect it to reflect reality to an extent of being almost autobiographical. The premise is sound, creative, and measurably a true novelty considering that as a rule referring to the theme of the Capitol Hill, pop culture likes to portray President as some kind of dominant Alpha-male. Tom Kirkman is typical midlevel manager without great ambitions whatsoever who has to assume control over the country when during Annual Address to Congress a catastrophic attack kills all above him in the line of succession. He has no such experience and seems unsure at first, but gradually grows comfortable in his new position. Still, reproaches of how unfit he is for the office continue to pour on him from all sides leaving audience draw the conclusion that a good man has nothing to do in the White House. Ironic paradox of power - it is created for altruists, but attracts only egoists.

Keifer Sutherland has always been an understated actor with remarkable range and it really shines here. He left behind comfort zone of his former iconic role as the heroic martyr Jack Bauer and in this new one looks more like a school teacher than Leader of the Free World. Everything in him conveys, quite understandable, nervousness and calm fear of a man who has been thrust into terrifying position for which he doesn’t fit. Quite the opposite of his usual performance, it takes some time to get used to this more thoughtful, diplomatic, even "nerdy" character he is playing now. Since I'm pretty sure that this is exactly what the writers have intended, Keifer played his part marvellously.

Perpetual opposition brawn vs brain notwithstanding, the concept of starting a government again with a very common man in charge is quite intriguing no matter how far-fetched it is. However, I must admit there are certain scenes that just wouldn't happen no matter who's in charge and what alternate universe you fell to. For one I find it unbelievable that a person with even meager experience at power play on any level of the political arena, could remain so naïve. No government in the world could ever afford to put morals first and foremost in every way. When location of the terrorist is confirmed and taking him out with drones comes at the risk of killing civilians, they don't abort mission. They calculate collateral damage and bomb the place. And certainly they don't delay to the last possible moment, thereby aiding his escape, to save an undercover agent who has been sworn to duty and hence prepared to such turn of events in his line of work.

What I did like is continuation with recent trend of breakaway from stereotyped antagonists. No one wants to believe in insider subversive activities when it's easier to blame strangers and for as long as I can remember it always were Russians, Islamic extremists, IRA and ect. I can't help being glad that writers have chosen to switch from external enemies to internal - conspiracy theory leads to much more dramatic action. What it lacks is a little bit more information about the real problems that would have come with re-starting government and social structure reorganization. It could have been educational to a general public which, in these times of identity politics, knows precious little about their country. This TV series could have shown people rules of power, sophisticated diplomatic maneuvers to preserve alliances and prevent opportunists extract advantage from temporary weakness of decapitated country. But as it stands this show is pure fiction, entertainment that is meant to capture the audience and in no way represents true government or politics. A good way to unwind at the end of the long day, while having dinner, which I hope will last for quite a few seasons.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I never watched House, I just started. Also, I've never seen Grey's Anatomy. I know, where have I been all these years, right?
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

My new favorite show is Wynonna Earp. It's on Netflix and it's delightful. Yes, it's trash, but it's fun trash! I would describe it as a more grown up, wild west-themed Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The titular character is a hard living, hard boozing girl forced to come back to her home town where everyone despises her in order to lift a family curse by ridding the town of Purgatory of the 77 demons that plague it. I really hope someone else here watches it, because I love it so much and have no one to talk to about it.
Ami_Violet
Currently Reading: #staymarried
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ami_Violet »

Dexter... just a shame it ended so poorly. Rescue Me, I adored. Six Feet Under I thought was an extremely well written series that was beautifully ended in a way I've yet to see another show top... :romance-heartbeating: For current television I'd have to say The Good Place is so clever! Lovesick on Netflix is sooooo good, I can't even describe how it makes me feel! :lol2: Television shows are actually what inspire me to write. Not books, not film. I don't know why that is... but it's a fact!!
akirov30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akirov30.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by akirov30 »

I'm a serial binge watcher and love Netflix, especially in the winter. I've just discovered The Frankenstein Chronicles with Sean Bean as it's just appeared on there. Was shocked to discover it actually came out on TV back in 2015 as I'd never heard of it. As the title suggests, it's based on Mary Shelley's book - or rather around her ideas - and she appears as a character in it. Wonderfully Gothic, with some genuinely creepy moments. The antagonist was a bit predictable and I guessed who he'd end up being fairly early on but the twist at the end - oh boy, I didn't see that coming but in hindsight it was perfect.

Other series I love - Game of Thrones, Black Mirror, Stranger Things, Buffy, 24, Homeland, Marcella, Hinterland, West World, Deadwood, so many more. So much more immersive and developed than a movie.
yasuhisa

Post by yasuhisa »

Just completed Altered Carbon and it was amazing!
Coychino72

Post by Coychino72 »

I like watching MacGyer the old one and new one also Big Bang theory and The Goldbergs.
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

Currently following The Flash and Arrow.
They are both very interesting movies.
gabriel kamax

Post by gabriel kamax »

yes I have followed a couple of TV shows including : helix, 12 monkeys ,scorpion, Salem, scream, whispers and many others. All I found to be very interesting but the one which captured my attention was the 12 monkeys since it involved science of time travel which I found to be very interesting.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

Game of throne, walking dead, supernatural.
I like stranger things, orange is the new black and Riverdale on netflix.
Plus the normal TV ones like supervet, masterchef, great British menu, the apprentice when they're on.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I love BBC's Sherlock and I love Doctor Who.

Return to “Films and Books”