How Do you feel about the Hunger Games series and the books?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
scratchcat318
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: Soul Whisperings by Patty Weeks

Re: How Do you feel about the Hunger Games series and the books?

Post by scratchcat318 » 09 Jul 2018, 20:32

I thought the books were pretty good. There were a lot of things that I thought could be improved, such as expanding more upon each of the districts, and some of the side characters desperately needed more attention. I really liked Johanna Mason in both the books and the movie, but I really wish she got some more attention. We don't even find out what happens to her at the end of the series. Same with Annie. But on the whole, I thought the series was enjoyable, and I really liked Katniss and Peeta as characters.

The movies were very well made, too! Out of all of them, I think Mockingjay Part 1 was the weakest since not much happens and it's basically a setup for Part 2, which could have also been better. I think the ending of Mockingjay Part 2 really irked me since it was a complete flip in tone from the ending of the Mockingjay book. However, Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and the rest of Mockingjay Part 2 were all very good and stayed very true to the source material, which I appreciated.

dianabooks
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by dianabooks » 31 Jul 2018, 14:39

I love both the book and the movie

meganlehmann90
Currently Reading: Jane Austen 7 Novels
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by meganlehmann90 » 31 Jul 2018, 18:15

I loved both the books and the movies. But I really hated the way that she blamed Gale completely for Prim's death. She ended up with Peeta simply because he wasn't tied to Prim's death in the way that Gale was. Guarantee that if Gale had known that Prim would die, he wouldn't have helped President Coin. Not that it makes it much better that he was willing to do whatever it took as long as it didn't affect him and Katniss, but she had to understand that people die in war and Gale had no idea Prim would be one of those people.

Rachel_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rachel_ » 01 Aug 2018, 01:14

I felt like more and more information from the hunger games could have been put into the movies like certain details from mocking jay. But then again that would make the movie much longer though it would have been great to see certain scenes from the books.

Hollyrobb42
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollyrobb42.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hollyrobb42 » 02 Aug 2018, 16:28

As with most things, I enjoyed the books a lot more than the movies. There was nothing wrong with the acting or the casting my opinion, I was just more engrossed with reading rather than watching. I think it may have been to do with the fact that I pictured it so differently when reading it so when watching the movies it seemed a little underwhelming in a way

zarah_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by zarah_ » 09 Oct 2018, 23:21

I agree that the movie wasn't as insightful as the book but I loved in nonetheless. I think JLaw did a superb job at portraying Katniss, as with Josh with Peeta.

Return to “Films and Books”