How Do you feel about the Hunger Games series and the books?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

How Do you feel about the Hunger Games series and the books?

Post by MsLisa »

I've read all the books and watched all the movies and my opinion of the series and the books are the same. I really liked the first book and movie, the second book and movie were good but the third book and movie were boring and uninteresting. I will say though that the third movie fared better with me than the book but only by a small margin.

How do you feel about the book and film series?
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

I love all the books and the movies. My favorite one is Catching Fire, both the book and the movie. The Mockingjay Part 1 movie was really boring to me, but I absolutely loved Part 2. I really love Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, he's one of the main reasons I love the movies.
Artistkent
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Artistkent »

Suffice to say I loved the books but disliked the movies. A major reason was no Katniss internal dialog, so that threw away a huge part of the story and reasoning behind some of the actions for me. I couldn't even finish the first movie though, so I have no idea if it got better
ahmaria
Currently Reading: Beloved
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmaria.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by ahmaria »

I feel like, overall, the movie series stripped away a lot of elements that made the book series so profound. The social commentary on poverty, excess, TV culture, government, etc was too often a backdrop in the movie series for me to enjoy it fully the way I did with the books. Way too much screen-time was given to the romance/love triangle. Also, I feel like Katniss, Peeta, and Effie's characters were not translated onto the big screen well. I did still somewhat like the first, second and fourth movies though. The movies did a great job of bringing to life the Capitol, its inhabitants, and the third Quarter Quell in particular.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I really liked the movies, but the horrifying aspect of the hunger games is that they're all children. That's what stuck out in the books and when they cast teens, that got lost in translation. Don't get me wrong, the people they chose were great. I just dislike how they missed out on that. Rue was still close to the right age, and absolutely gut wrenching. That still tears me up, book or movie.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

bclayton13 wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 00:35 I really liked the movies, but the horrifying aspect of the hunger games is that they're all children. That's what stuck out in the books and when they cast teens, that got lost in translation. Don't get me wrong, the people they chose were great. I just dislike how they missed out on that. Rue was still close to the right age, and absolutely gut wrenching. That still tears me up, book or movie.
I agree where it comes to the books but personally, my reaction didn't change much when it was teenagers in the movie. The first time I was introduced to the Hunger Games it was the first movie (then I went on to read all the books before the other movies came out) and I had no idea what the movie was about except that it was based on a book and to say that I was shocked when teenagers started killing teenagers and children when I was sitting in the movie theater is an understatement.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

MsLisa wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 06:01
bclayton13 wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 00:35 I really liked the movies, but the horrifying aspect of the hunger games is that they're all children. That's what stuck out in the books and when they cast teens, that got lost in translation. Don't get me wrong, the people they chose were great. I just dislike how they missed out on that. Rue was still close to the right age, and absolutely gut wrenching. That still tears me up, book or movie.
I agree where it comes to the books but personally, my reaction didn't change much when it was teenagers in the movie. The first time I was introduced to the Hunger Games it was the first movie (then I went on to read all the books before the other movies came out) and I had no idea what the movie was about except that it was based on a book and to say that I was shocked when teenagers started killing teenagers and children when I was sitting in the movie theater is an understatement.
That's true, especially if you didn't know what to expect. The idea of anyone having to kill anyone else for someone's entertainment is shocking.
kramerj19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kramerj19.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by kramerj19 »

The Hunger Games was one of m favorite series when I was in middle school, but the movies came out years later so it was hard for me to judge the accuracy of the movies when compared to the books. For this reason, I do not have any issues with the movies, in fact, I really like them. Because it had been so long since I read the books, I was not judging the movie against them, I was simply enjoying the beautiful story.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I have read and loved the books, in a moment in time. However, I have only seen the first movie,which was fine. I don't think about the series much anymore, books or movies.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I really liked the first movie. The second was okay, and then it went downhill. I imagine the books would be similar in feeling to me. I haven't read them yet though.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

pricklypurple wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 07:17 I really liked the first movie. The second was okay, and then it went downhill. I imagine the books would be similar in feeling to me. I haven't read them yet though.
I'm sharing the same thoughts about the movie and I also haven't read any of the books. Though I have to say I was enjoyably distracted in the Mockingjay Part 1 because I was able to watch it in 4D Cinema, so yeah, that was a fun experience but I was not totally focused on the scenes.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

Of course, I loved the books more. The Hunger Games and Catching Fire were definitely the better films, and in my opinion the Mockingjay films were so disappointing and boring because they stretched it out too much. Books are far better, for sure!
Jacki Mac Iver Hill
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: the irrational mind
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacki-mac-iver-hill.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Jacki Mac Iver Hill »

ahmaria wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 11:13 I feel like, overall, the movie series stripped away a lot of elements that made the book series so profound. The social commentary on poverty, excess, TV culture, government, etc was too often a backdrop in the movie series for me to enjoy it fully the way I did with the books. Way too much screen-time was given to the romance/love triangle. Also, I feel like Katniss, Peeta, and Effie's characters were not translated onto the big screen well. I did still somewhat like the first, second and fourth movies though. The movies did a great job of bringing to life the Capitol, its inhabitants, and the third Quarter Quell in particular.
I totally agree with your perspective on the social commentary lacking in the movie. That and Katnis' thoughts, which were such an integral part of the book, were missing.

I was lucky, I saw the first movie before I read the books and partly because the movie had such a unique storyline I absolutely loved it. I never made it all the way through the other movies though. But I absolutely loved all three books.
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...
You're right!”
:doh:
- Henry Ford

No amount of guilt can change the past.
No amount of anxiety can change the future.
:indubitablysmile:
Sparks90
Currently Reading: Insurgent (The Divergent Series #2)
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sparks90 »

I found I liked the first book more than the movie, the second book and movie equally and the last movie more than the book. I felt that the first movie didnt give the same depth that the books did. As others have stated, the poverty, Katniss's internal thoughts that showed her characterisation. It was still a brilliant movie, I loved the settings and the future technology was well done. What I love most about movie adaptations is when they show another character and that is why I loved the Mockingjay movies better than the books. That being said, they are not my favourite of the Hunger Games books and movies.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

I was depressed after I read those books and u to now I have not seen the final movie.

Return to “Films and Books”