How Do you feel about the Hunger Games series and the books?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: How Do you feel about the Hunger Games series and the books?

Post by scratchcat318 »

I thought the books were pretty good. There were a lot of things that I thought could be improved, such as expanding more upon each of the districts, and some of the side characters desperately needed more attention. I really liked Johanna Mason in both the books and the movie, but I really wish she got some more attention. We don't even find out what happens to her at the end of the series. Same with Annie. But on the whole, I thought the series was enjoyable, and I really liked Katniss and Peeta as characters.

The movies were very well made, too! Out of all of them, I think Mockingjay Part 1 was the weakest since not much happens and it's basically a setup for Part 2, which could have also been better. I think the ending of Mockingjay Part 2 really irked me since it was a complete flip in tone from the ending of the Mockingjay book. However, Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and the rest of Mockingjay Part 2 were all very good and stayed very true to the source material, which I appreciated.
dianabooks
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by dianabooks »

I love both the book and the movie
meganlehmann90
Currently Reading: Jane Austen 7 Novels
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by meganlehmann90 »

I loved both the books and the movies. But I really hated the way that she blamed Gale completely for Prim's death. She ended up with Peeta simply because he wasn't tied to Prim's death in the way that Gale was. Guarantee that if Gale had known that Prim would die, he wouldn't have helped President Coin. Not that it makes it much better that he was willing to do whatever it took as long as it didn't affect him and Katniss, but she had to understand that people die in war and Gale had no idea Prim would be one of those people.
Rachel_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rachel_ »

I felt like more and more information from the hunger games could have been put into the movies like certain details from mocking jay. But then again that would make the movie much longer though it would have been great to see certain scenes from the books.
Hollyrobb42
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollyrobb42.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hollyrobb42 »

As with most things, I enjoyed the books a lot more than the movies. There was nothing wrong with the acting or the casting my opinion, I was just more engrossed with reading rather than watching. I think it may have been to do with the fact that I pictured it so differently when reading it so when watching the movies it seemed a little underwhelming in a way
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

I agree that the movie wasn't as insightful as the book but I loved in nonetheless. I think JLaw did a superb job at portraying Katniss, as with Josh with Peeta.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

it is one of the few rare instances where I love the movies more than the books.
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

I preferred the books but that's just me.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

MsLisa wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 11:52 I've read all the books and watched all the movies and my opinion of the series and the books are the same. I really liked the first book and movie, the second book and movie were good but the third book and movie were boring and uninteresting. I will say though that the third movie fared better with me than the book but only by a small margin.

How do you feel about the book and film series?
It's the same for me. I love the first book and the first movie. I still read and watch them again from time to time. The second book is still good, but it feels less suspenseful for me. Then third book is just a drag. To be honest, I can't even remember what the second and third movies are like, but I can see how the third movie can seem better than the book (less monologues, more actions).
Lexi_22
Currently Reading: Shadow in the Deep
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Lexi_22 »

I read the Hunger Games books before I saw any of the movies and loved them. The author's writing style is gripping and makes it extremely hard to put the books down, which is one of the things I loved the most. I also really loved how we are allowed into Katniss's mind in the books, we are able to understand her character at a much deeper level because we know what she is thinking and feeling. We can better understand why she does some of the things she does and why her personality is the way it is. Sadly, though, that was lost in the movies. I enjoyed the movies a lot, however, although I did find them lacking in comparison to the books. I personally think the Mockingjay movies could have been done in just one movie, instead of being dragged out into two. The cast was good, and I especially thought Josh Hutcherson did a great job playing Peeta (who happens to be my favorite character). Overall, I would definitely recommend reading the books, and if you like the books enough, maybe even watching the movies.
ferry flawless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferry-flawless.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by ferry flawless »

They are okay I guess. I don't really like the books but the movies are awesome.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I read the trilogy years before the movies came out.

I feel that the movies were entertaining and intense. However, they are better than the books in the way that we see more gore than Collins described in the books. The movies made it feel like the death match it was meant to be.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I haven't read the books to judge them, but as for the movies, I only loved the first two to be honest, watching the last two felt like a chore.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Lisathereader76
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisathereader76.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lisathereader76 »

i liked the books but i enjoyed movies as well. The imagination it most of took to build that world i respect. Josh Hutcherson was great as Peeta
TutorGirlCheyenne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tutorgirlcheyenne.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by TutorGirlCheyenne »

I love the books and movies. I do think there were some things from the books that should have been put into the movies. They could have made additional movies if they used more of the books. The supporting characters in the movies could definitely have been expanded.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.”. – George R.R. Martin.

Return to “Films and Books”