Books CAN be good movies...sometimes

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Books CAN be good movies...sometimes

Post by MsMartha »

CatInTheHat wrote:To Kill a Mockingbird was a great book, and the movie was done well. There are others, I'm sure, but that's the first one to pop up in my brain.
I have to agree with you! I've re-read (and re-watched) To Kill a Mockingbird numerous times--and I'll be thrilled when the next opportunity comes along.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Jemma Haber
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemma-haber.html

Post by Jemma Haber »

I'm not sure if this really counts because it was originally a play, but I saw a movie interpretation of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night with Helena Bonham Carter in it and it was SPECTACULAR. Absolutely loved it.
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

Black mass was great as a book and movie. Each hit the details perfectly. The worst book to movie would have to be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The original movie was great but the remake was awful.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Bill
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bill.html
Latest Review: "Magpie" by Paul Jameson

Post by Bill »

The Martian was a good movie but not nearly at good as the book. Sometimes that key element just doesn't translate.
Latest Review: "Magpie" by Paul Jameson
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

My favorite examples of movies that are better than the books:
Ben-Hur
Forrest Gump

Books that are even with the movie:
Carrie
Trainspotting
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

A book that I think turned into a great movie was the first book in The Maze Runner series. They actually stuck to the plot and I think it was executed wonderfully. The second movie for the second book was still good, but they didn't really stick to the book as much.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
Wendi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendi.html

Post by Wendi »

The Help was great in both!
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

Kyle22 wrote: 06 Dec 2007, 18:37 I always like seeing books that I have read as movies. It's fun to see the story acted out on screen. Of course, I think the books are always better than the movies.
I have the same opinion. I like the movies when the actors justify the characters they are playing and when they stood up to our expectation. But that is a lot of pressure on the actors and that's what makes them give their best. So I really appreciate their work for that.
-R
AshleyFNoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by AshleyFNoe »

Not too often...
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Gerald’s Game on Netflix was actually better than the book. I love Stephen King but that book was kind of a dud. The movie was well done though and I couldn’t believe they were adapting it at first. It’s basically one character in isolation throughout the story (but with flashbacks etc). The movie got good reviews too.
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I love the miniseries The Stand which was from Stephen Kings novel. Some of his short stories like Langoliers and Christine didn't make good films though.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

BookClubQueen wrote: 04 Dec 2007, 20:41 Okay,
Here is something that has been interesting to me lately - what great books have you read that have turned into really great movies?

Or what great books have you read that have turned into really AWFUL movies?

I'll tell you mine (if you tell me yours!)

Great book to Great movie
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil book and movie are very different but both fantastic. Movie is well done - the book is a hard act to follow b/c it's so great!

Great book to AWFUL movie
A Series of Unfortunate Events (have taught this book to middle schoolers and LOVE the writing style. HATED the movie!

So what are yours?
Have you tried watching the Netflix original A Series of Unfortunate Events? I thought it was pretty well done.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

MsMartha wrote: 03 Aug 2016, 09:39
CatInTheHat wrote:To Kill a Mockingbird was a great book, and the movie was done well. There are others, I'm sure, but that's the first one to pop up in my brain.
I have to agree with you! I've re-read (and re-watched) To Kill a Mockingbird numerous times--and I'll be thrilled when the next opportunity comes along.
The film adaptation of this book is, to date, the best I have ever seen. Much was left out, but most of these things were digressions anyway and not directly relevant to the story proper; such as, the family gathering at Finch's Landing or when Calpurnia takes Scout and Jem to church with her.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Harry Potter movies turned out great of course. They actually did not disappoint
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

My all time favourite book to movie adaption is a tie between The Outsiders by S.E. and The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. In both of these cases a large amount of dialogue came straight from the books with only minor changes to plot. Maybe it was easier to adapt these books because they were both fairly short reads, but regardless I was very happy with the results and consider both the books and the movies to be in my favourites.

Return to “Films and Books”