The Hunger Games Films

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
-brintontaylor
Currently Reading: Pretty Little Liars
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brintontaylor.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

The Hunger Games Films

Post by -brintontaylor »

Hey!

So, I've never actually read "The Hunger Games" books but I've watched the films. In my opinion, the films are a absolutely spectacular and I loved every single one of them. When it was announced that Mocking Jay part 2 was the last one, I honestly cried.
But my question is - Are the Hunger Games books better, worse or the same as the films? Should I read them?

Thanks! :wink:
Taylee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Taylee »

Hey, I think that the books are so much better, but the movies are actually really great too. My favorite is the first because I like the beginning of stories the most. I feel like they portrayed the book the best in the first movie.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

The Hunger Games trilogy is amongst my favorite books of all time so I'm heavily biased towards them. I think Catching Fire was the best film, but Mockingjay, which was my favorite book, was just butchered. You know that scene at the end of Part II where Katniss yells at Buttercup? Whenever I read that part it always made me cry. In the film it was emotionless. That just expresses what was wrong with the last two films. So I would say yes, you should definitely read the books.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

The books have so much more depth to them. However, the last one is a little political for me. This doesn't detract from the fact that the books are certainly better than the movies. You should totally read them.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I think the first and second books are much better than the first and second movies. However, I was not a big fan of the third book, especially the ending. I liked the way the third movie wrapped up a lot better. It felt as though there was more closure there.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Mely918 wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 23:32 However, I was not a big fan of the third book, especially the ending.
Yeah, I have heard a lot of people say that. I guess that just comes down to one's tastes. Personally, I was dreading that the book would have the cliche "good guys kill the bad guys and live happily ever after" ending, so I really liked how the story ended.
-brintontaylor
Currently Reading: Pretty Little Liars
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brintontaylor.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by -brintontaylor »

Thanks for your replies guys! Looks like I am going to start reading the books!
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

AliceofX wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 03:12
Mely918 wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 23:32 However, I was not a big fan of the third book, especially the ending.
Yeah, I have heard a lot of people say that. I guess that just comes down to one's tastes. Personally, I was dreading that the book would have the cliche "good guys kill the bad guys and live happily ever after" ending, so I really liked how the story ended.
That's understandable. I would have disliked the book/movie even less if it had that cliche. Yeah, it does come down to one's personal opinions on whether they like or dislike the story's ending.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

You should definitely read them. Catching Fire (the film) was the absolute best film remake of a book, but the Mockingjay book is much better than the movies. These novels are fascinating, and the movies did a great job. Nothing compares to emotionally connecting to characters by reading about them, so pick up the books!
karlamuller99
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlamuller99.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by karlamuller99 »

My friends got me to watch the movies, and as you said it was spectacular. I then read all the books. Without a doubt, the books were better than the movie. The way the author explains the characters actions, feelings and thoughts, made me cry more than any other book I've ever read. This, however, did not take away any of the brilliance of the book. On the contrary, it enhanced my love for the movie franchise. I could now watch the movies and see the little details that kick the movie up a notch. So to conclude, yes read the books, you won't doubt it.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

-brintontaylor wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 15:01 Thanks for your replies guys! Looks like I am going to start reading the books!
Good call! I read them all in a couple of days when I was on holiday. Then I watched the first movie. The movies are well done, in my opinion, but the books give so much more detail. You probably have read them by now. I hope you liked them!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
lara_haelterman
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lara-haelterman.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by lara_haelterman »

Books are almost always better in my opinion! They usually come first and therefore offer a lot more details. Same for The Hunger Games.
Whitewolf422

Post by Whitewolf422 »

Hey! I read the first book the hunger game and I couldn't put it down the movie was ok the book has more details in it then the movie did the movie was good the main actresses played katniss perfect! I wish I could have read the other books! The book was great to read!
Estelle25X

Post by Estelle25X »

I couldn’t agree more , the books are better because of the detail they include but the movies do bring it to life !
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I think the first film handled the ending much better. In the book the dead tributes come back as werewolves. I thought that was dumb. The movie had the attacking ... dogs? ... or whatever they were, created by the Capitol and unrelated to the dead tribunes. I thought that was a cleaner way to do it. Bringing back Rue as a monster just doesn't do it for me.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Films and Books”