Percy Jackson: The lightning thief

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
skbarrow100
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Percy Jackson: The lightning thief

Post by skbarrow100 »

The book was a hundred percent better than the movie. I was really excited when I heard it was going to be a movie, but I was really disappointed after I actually saw it. When I saw it, I actually thought that Rick Riordan had redone the book because it was way different than the movie. Now the book on the other hand is one of my top favorites. I own the first and the second series of the Percy Jackson books because they are that good. I read each one at least three times a year.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

It's a given for movies to change some of the details, and that's what I hate most about movie adaptations.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
ronmathewalx
Currently Reading: Exiles' Escape
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronmathewalx.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by ronmathewalx »

I loved the book but hated the movie. The movie had faint similarities, but ultimately, was not like the book.
anita1994
Currently Reading: One of Us Is Lying
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anita1994.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by anita1994 »

There were lots of differences, I enjoyed the first movie but the second was awful because the differences and missing parts were bigger. I was disappointed by the second movie. I loved so much the Percy Jackson Saga. I couldn't stop reading it. At every chapter's end you were so involved that you turn the next page to go on.
Free to reflect 1220
Currently Reading: The Gate
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Free to reflect 1220 »

I heard about this and also saw on television but can't watch it fully so can't say it is good or not
Megapede
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megapede.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Megapede »

I believe that the book was better than the movie as the movie disappointed me quite a bit.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

Though I'm sure the movie would be enjoyable in its own ways, I can't help but feel disappointed in the way they were made and the missed potential. They could have been a huge, beautiful franchise like Harry Potter whose films would only grow its audience, but the age of the characters and the lack of support from the book's fans caused Fox to stop producing it only after the second movie. I hold out hopes for a reboot of the franchise and an animated show!
Lisa0217

Post by Lisa0217 »

When I watched the movie, I thought it was cool! Then when I found out there was book, I was thrilled. Once I read book, at the end, book was the best! I could not stop on first book, I look for more of book that relate to this book, Percy Jackson. I believe books are better than movies.
Strangeminds
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangeminds.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Strangeminds »

I am a huge fan of movies and books. based on Greek mythology an Percy Jackson is my favourite. I've seen all of the movies but have read only one book. Do you think the book is better than the movie?
camwilliams
Currently Reading: Triple Zero
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camwilliams.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by camwilliams »

I enjoyed the movie the first time I watched it as a young teen. When I watched it again several years later I only got about twenty minutes in before turning it off. There were aspects of the movie that were done well: the costumes were pretty cool and I appreciated the locations that they filmed in. As far as story-telling goes, I think to compare movie and book only sets up for disappointment. Riordan really did an excellent job world-building on top of the already familiar Greek Mythology, but he also had no limit of words or pages to do so. Movies really don't have that kind of luxury, and it really is very difficult to world-build in five to ten minutes what an author can spend ten to one hundred pages building. That being said I do think that the writers spend much more time focusing on action-sequences than story telling. For example, the long scene in the very beginning that shows Poseidon in his god-form coming up out of the ocean. Impressive animation, very little in explaining any new backstory. Another example would be the very long introduction of Percy that shows him.... sitting on the bottom of a pool. And pretty much nothing else. Those long moments could have been setting up the back-story, maybe the pack between Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon not to have children. But beyond those narrative decisions the movie isn't half-bad if you want to watch something purely for simple entertainment.
abbyruth9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyruth9.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by abbyruth9 »

I watched the movies before I ever read any of the books. I really enjoyed both movies when watching them, but now that I've read the books I can completely understand why a lot of fans were very disappointed in the films. It was kind of like they were attempting to fit the entirety of the first 5 books into two movies. There are many major characters in the books that are never even mentioned in the books. Although there were some changes I understood (such as age - its easier to plug romance into the plot if the characters are older), I find the books to be so much better than the movies.
bruh_help

Post by bruh_help »

alright, let's be honest. The movies were, great, if you've never read the books. There were many differences, and to be completely honest it felt like an entire different story. However, in my opinion the books were amazing. they detail real life preteen-teenager problems with the right amount of humor and fantasy. :techie-studyingbrown:
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Namaya manocha wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 11:59 The first mistake : Annabeth's hair should be blonde not brunette . Second : they were twelve and not seventeen . Third :percy discovered he was a son of Poseidon in a lot less time than he was supposed to and fourth: the events were not nearly same as in the book
i couldn't agree more. The book was way better than the movie.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Post by snowbear »

I read the Percy Jackson series during my younger years and I thoroughly enjoyed reading them. I was even obsessed with them and I admired Riordan's writing so much. I believe the movie didn't give justice to the book. The movie didn't seem to capture Riordan's writing so much. It seemed too fast-paced and left out some details that are integral to the story.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

Annabeth is definitely not how the movie portrays her. She's supposed to be tan and blonde. Also, all the main characters should be 12 in the first movie. Even Rick Riordan hates the movies because of how much they deviate from the books. They're like two separate stories at this point.

Return to “Films and Books”