What is the last movie you saw, and rating?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
rupe10
Favorite Book: The Polished Hoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupe10.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: What is the last movie you saw, and rating?

Post by rupe10 »

Me too for Acrimony.

Have been avoiding watching it because I have a historic distaste, if not outright contempt, for the Tyler Perry projects I been unfortunately exposed to.

The rub is that I so do love Taraji P. Henson as an actor, so I couldn't stand hearing/seeing all the negative stuff that was floating around about this thing w/o vetting for myself.

Elated that I did.

While the 'woman scorned' archetype has been done --and poorly, at that-- to death, in this case it worked just fine.

Henson really channeled the devil that was evidently within her character (Melinda). She walked a fine line where the whole act could have derailed into slapstick. Instead she depicted one scary lady -- that did, admittedly, have me involuntarily chortling more than a few times.

It was in a sense a wasted performance, given the pedestrian nature of the rest of the moving parts in this thing.

Acrimony was visually pleasing, though, and the actor that played Young Melinda also did a solid job.

I was pleasantly surprised to give it an 8/10.

Would have been a 9 -- but the schlock ending was overcooked beyond any palate...
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

Double wedding. it starred Tia and Tamera Mowry. it's an old movie that was really interesting though predictable.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I just finished watching Death Cure and so far, it is actually good.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
Ian Preston
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ian Preston »

The last movie i saw was Pyraar impossible about a guy who develops a Software and it's stolen so he goes out in search of his thief and in the way he meets the love of his life since highschool but he has never confessed it because she is too "pretty" and "impossible" for him. At the end things fall in place and she helps him reclaim his software "Unity" back. I'd rate it 9/10 it's a Comedy movie
zamora kenya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zamora kenya »

it has to be dead pool 2 ,i give it a solid rating of 8,mainly cos of the awesome VHS effects and the movies sense of humor.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

Deadpool 2 was the most recent movie I watched. I was a big fan of the first one and enjoyed the second one. I would give it an 8.5 for it's hilarity and sarcasm.
Samantha Powell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-powell.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samantha Powell »

The last movie I watched was The Same Kind of Different As Me. That movie truly tore at my heart strings. It was funny in places, surprising, a little frightening, and quite sad as well. I know the movie is based off a book, and the book based off a true story, so I don't think my emotions could handle reading it. I would recommend watching it at least once though, especially to people who practice faith.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

I watched American Pie 1 earlier today. I wasn't impressed, I'd heard alot about it, but it wasn't that awesome.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
ObscureBookworm
Currently Reading: Hidden Bodies
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ObscureBookworm »

Well, the last one I saw was Netflix's take on Death Note. And while some things were good, others weren't. I liked it, but I didn't. I would, personally, probably give it maybe a 7 out of 10.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Deadpool 2. I laughed and llaughed. Outrageous. I rate it 8 out of 10. I would see it again.
Azlan82

Post by Azlan82 »

The Mummy (1999), haven't seen it for a long time, so re-watched it. Rachel Weisz was so hot back then....still is. 8/10.
Mhicos22

Post by Mhicos22 »

Hiii guyysss!
I just wanna share my review on my last movie Ive watched last week about 2 young couple who struggling to save their relationship. The movie is The Hows of Us. Hahahaha very inspiring especially if you have relationship and its on a critical condition. Hope you should watch it guys there are so many moral lesson and make sure you got your tissues hahaha..
Thanks
karra suhrud

Post by karra suhrud »

I saw a Telugu tragedy movie the movie name is DEVADAS there are two characters involved in that movie one is DEVA and another person is DAS
Deva is a Don and das is a doctor
In that movie he shows the doctor kind Ness changes the Don character and they become friends DEVA likes the attitude of das finally Das changed the Deva by showing mercy to das and deva fall in love and finally some incidents Deva changed that is the story
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Antman And The Wasp.
8 / 10
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

I just watched Ferris Beuhler's Day off on DVD from the library, which I'd never seen before.

I guess I'd give it like 4.5 rotten tomatoes. Great humor, song and dance.
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak

Return to “Films and Books”