Tolkien to the big screen

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
KatelynMia90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Icon Tolkien to the big screen

Post by KatelynMia90 »

One of my favorite writes is J. R. R. Tolkien. I have read The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit several times. And each time is more magical than before. How you feel the movie adaption really was, in comparison to the book?
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Honestly, the Lord of the Ring movies are one of the few movies that I liked better than the book. While I did enjoy reading the books, I was not a big fan of Tolkein's writing style. The movies helped teleport me into the world of middle-Earth better than the books did.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is my all-time favorite book series. I read them as a kid as the movies were coming out, so I grew up on the movies as well. I thought Peter Jackson did an excellent job with LOTR (The Hobbit trilogy, though, was money-making garbage.) LOTR films were well cast, and I loved that he used Alan Lee, the artist who has been illustrating Tolkien works for decades, to help with the visuals. Andy Serkis's portrayal of Gollum was perfect.
LJmayol27
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LJmayol27 »

Honestly, in line with Harry Potter, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are unforgettable. While watching the movies, I feel that I teleported to another world. Also, dying to be part of the movie and help the characters. This affect my entire life.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

I can watch these movies also the time. I just love the entire Lord of the Rings movies.
The Hobbit just as much also. Except the third movie. I hate watching Fili, Kili and Thorin die.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I adore both so much. I was only 9 when Fellowship came out, so I read the books later on after declaring the films my favorites of all time. I'd say they're both my favorite films and books. Tolkien was a genius.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

gkgurley wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 12:50 The Lord of the Rings trilogy is my all-time favorite book series. I read them as a kid as the movies were coming out, so I grew up on the movies as well. I thought Peter Jackson did an excellent job with LOTR (The Hobbit trilogy, though, was money-making garbage.) LOTR films were well cast, and I loved that he used Alan Lee, the artist who has been illustrating Tolkien works for decades, to help with the visuals. Andy Serkis's portrayal of Gollum was perfect.
Same here!
CJHeigelmann
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by CJHeigelmann »

All the movies in the series were outstanding, and an example of the few times the movies were as good or better than the books. Phenominal.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

The two ingredients which I feel make up a good novel are: one, the story itself; and two, the style in which it is written. Tolkien's creation of Middle Earth and the Ring series was a masterful creation, but for me his writing style left much to be desired. Tolkien was a professor and in my opinion his writing style was somewhat reminiscent of that - flat like a college lecture.

Peter Jackson's vision of the entire project was, once again, in my opinion only, an improvement on Tolkien's thesis. I enjoyed the movies far more than I enjoyed the books. First of all the casting of the characters was perfect ... and the settings !!! .... could there ever be a better representation of The Shire for instance?

Many have taken Jackson to task for eliminating Tom Bombadil from Fellowship, but I feel that this would have been an unnecessary waste of time given the expense of each minute of screen time. Also, people complained that the ending did not include the Battle Of The Shire. Give me a break! After the Battle Of Minas Tirith another fight would have been grossly anti-climactic.

I was not as enchanted by the Hobbit movies. They were good, but not on the same level as the Ring Series.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I think Peter Jackson made an excellent job in the movie version of lotr. I loved the movie more than the books because the way it was shown is so breath taking especially the landscapes shown in the movie.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi

Return to “Films and Books”