Book-to-movie review: Percy Jackson and the Olympians~ The Lightning Thief

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
mattie_morrow2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Book-to-movie review: Percy Jackson and the Olympians~ The Lightning Thief

Post by mattie_morrow2 »

So I’m sure many of you have heard of the famous author, Rick Riordan. He wrote the book series, ‘Percy Jackson and the Olympians’ along with manyyy other amazingly, well written books also made into different series’. The first book of the ‘Percy Jackson and the Olympians’ series is called ‘The lightning thief’. This book is outstanding and so beautifully written like every other book by Rick Riordan, in mine and a lot of other peoples opinions. But another opinion many others would agree with as well is how bad the movie is, compared to the book itself. The movie is good but it doesn’t really match the book at all, therefore making it not enjoyable because the whole time you’re watching it you’re just screaming at the tv saying, “IT WASN’T LIKE THAT IN THE BOOK FOR CHRISTS SAKE AGH.” Books in my opinion, always, a l w a y s, overrule the movie. I have a very vivid imagination and the books words jut paint a picture in my head. So this was my review of Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief vs the Movie version. Thank you !
apINKpanda21
Favorite Author: Harlan Coben
Currently Reading: The Red Hunter
Bookshelf Size: 36
fav_author_id: 3782

Post by apINKpanda21 »

I feel you~ Even The Sea of Monsters movie adaptation was disappointing. No wonder they stopped after two installments. But I heard a fan-made film for the third book is set for this year.
Lolababs94
Favorite Author: Mariana Zapata
Favorite Book: The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolababs94.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 11762

Post by Lolababs94 »

mattie_morrow2 wrote: 11 May 2018, 21:27 So I’m sure many of you have heard of the famous author, Rick Riordan. He wrote the book series, ‘Percy Jackson and the Olympians’ along with manyyy other amazingly, well written books also made into different series’. The first book of the ‘Percy Jackson and the Olympians’ series is called ‘The lightning thief’. This book is outstanding and so beautifully written like every other book by Rick Riordan, in mine and a lot of other peoples opinions. But another opinion many others would agree with as well is how bad the movie is, compared to the book itself. The movie is good but it doesn’t really match the book at all, therefore making it not enjoyable because the whole time you’re watching it you’re just screaming at the tv saying, “IT WASN’T LIKE THAT IN THE BOOK FOR CHRISTS SAKE AGH.” Books in my opinion, always, a l w a y s, overrule the movie. I have a very vivid imagination and the books words jut paint a picture in my head. So this was my review of Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief vs the Movie version. Thank you !
:lol: I absolutely agree with you. That is the bane of reading the book before the movie. You know every scene the skip or merge into another or change altogether. The Lighteing Thief movie was good but definitely not as good as the book. I think I finished all the books in the series in less than a week.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I only got to the Minotaur scene before I stopped watching the Lightning Thief. My biggest issue is how they hired 20-year-olds to play twelve-year-olds. I understand 20-year-olds playing high schoolers, but making them play middle schoolers is ridiculous.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I only saw that movie and having not read any of the books I thought it was a decent kids movie. Recently I came across a later book in the series, The Son of Neptune and I was amazed. The book was so out there compared to that movie. It was a blast.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

I definitely agree with you! I've read all the books and certainly the movie did not adapted the book in a very good way. For me, the characters itself does not represent the characters in the book. Plus the fact that some scene were not in the book? It should have been a hit like Harry Potter if they studied it thoroughly how to make it in a movie.
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alena-surya.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Alena_Surya »

The change in plot was disappointing! Especially when book was so good and popular!
Namaya manocha
Favorite Book: Percy Jackson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Namaya manocha »

The movies had great effects but most of the scenes were not same as they were in the book . They changed most of the scenes and cut many most important scenes. The actors were too old for the characters they were playing . Most of the best parts were skipped and they were very important events . So you will see the movie and not understand most things. You will think that how can the directors of the movie do this and keep saying while watching, "IT'S ALL WRONG !!WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN !! IT'S THE WORST MOVIE WHEN THE BOOK IS SO AWESOME!!" So this was my review on percy jackson and the olympians movies. The books were an absolute treasure but the movies were not even close to the book .
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I agree. I prefer book over the movie. The first movie was okay, but, the others were a disaster. But, the books were awesome. My favorite series.
-Bookworming-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by -Bookworming- »

Yeah I really love the books writyen by Rick. The movie adaptation...however made me go eww. The book is so amazing but the movie...we all know what a blunder it was. I seriously want a new movie series with the exact same plot. Kids slowly growing with the series. I just want that.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

It's honestly so disappointing to see something so brilliantly written turned into a movie like that, where there's literally so few similarities to the original content. People love the books for a reason; there's no need to go and change the storyline and characters that drastically. And there's just so many scenes and so much character development that happens in the books that isn't even remotely touched on in the films. I mean honestly, how difficult is it really?
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

I didn't mind the movies for Percy Jackson, not as good as the books but few are.
AmateurBookCritic
Currently Reading: Rescue Her Heart
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by AmateurBookCritic »

The book were definitely better than the movie however I do feel that the movies are quite good; only if it weren't advertised as the adaptation of the novel. The movie really wanted to go another direction instead of following the novel and I feel that is what made it a box office bomb.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

AmateurBookCritic wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 17:34 The book were definitely better than the movie however I do feel that the movies are quite good; only if it weren't advertised as the adaptation of the novel. The movie really wanted to go another direction instead of following the novel and I feel that is what made it a box office bomb.
I agree with this. If you hadn’t read the books, the movies would have been entertaining and good enough. However, because of the expectations, the enjoyment is decreased. These expectations restricted the movies as well. The expectations prevented them from possibly being better because they had to stay true (or as close to it as they could) to the books and couldn’t go through with other (maybe better) ideas.

Movies and books are different mediums. Some things in one won’t translate as well on the other; each have their own strengths.
macieroark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by macieroark »

The movie and book each have their own strengths. However if you are more of a book person I would most definitely suggest the book. If you want more of a visual effect the movie is better for you.

Return to “Films and Books”