Which do you prefer, Original classics or Remakes?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Which do you prefer, Original classics or Remakes?

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I find remakes to be substandard I always prefer the original version of a movie or even book to the remakes. Most times when they remake a movie, they change the story line and it becomes more of a sequel than a remake. What do u think?
Hannahing
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hannahing »

I cant decide sometime I like the original version sometimes I like the remakes. It depends on which one I see first or how old or outdated the original versions are. But most times the original wins this battle :D
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I usually like originals (if we are talking about movies), but there have been a couple times that I preferred the remake. Journey to the Center of the World is one of those. There are a couple I would like to see remade, such as Rigoletto. I actually don't know that I have seen to many original classics remade. There have been some movies, like A Christmas Story, that years later came out with a second part, and most of those have been terrible, in my opinion.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Ganiyat

Post by Ganiyat »

i prefer the originals too (movies) for books well most remakes or adaptations well sometimes the adaptaions are better like Going Bovine is a remake of Don Quitxote, which I enjoyed both very well.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

It depends on the case. For example, I prefer the remakes of Scarface (1983) and The Fly (1986) to the original versions. The case of Ben-Hur is unique. The original silent film is good, but the first remake became a classic, while the most recent one was an absolute failure. The remakes of movies like Robocop, Psycho (which is, actually, a very inferior copy) or Planet of the Apes are not up to the originals. On the other hand, the Americanized versions of foreign movies like The Departed, The Magnificent Seven or The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo are quite good on their own.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Usually, the originals. I would watch Turner Classic Movies with my grandparents, so I've always seen the original first. TCM is my love and my go to.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
elanaswanepoel12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elanaswanepoel12.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

Post by elanaswanepoel12 »

Very rarely do I enjoy the remake of a movie. I prefer the original. Unless the original was shot back in the day in black and white.
I saw recently that Overboard has been remade. The original, stars Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell and even though I love Anna Farris, I think the remake will bomb. Hasn't been released in my country yet, but won't waste my time on it.
As a child I spent one school holiday watching that movie up to three times a day. I still have the movie on DVD and every now and then pop it in for a good laugh. That's just one of the many originals I enjoy watching over and over.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

It depends on the quality, sometimes there are orignals that are better than the remake and vice versa.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

If the original was a classic then the remake will nearly always be bad. Sometimes you can just tell the filmmakers want to cash in on the original film's name.

I agree with KRay93 that remakes of foreign films can be good. For instance, The Ring is probably my favorite horror movie. I think in that case they can't expect audiences to recognize the name so they can't do a half-assed job and call it a day.
Ihopethisworks2018

Post by Ihopethisworks2018 »

They are called classics for a reason. Remaking a classic is basically blasphemy. But I guess it depends on what you consider remakes. I guess technically you could consider a translation a remake.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Blasphemous as it is, I liked the remake of True Grit better than the classic.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Always the original classics for me. Remakes seem to often try too hard to match the success of the original,and I think that's what makes it so that they usually turn out mediocre at best.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

Overall I agree, EXCEPT the movie Sabrina. The remake was stunning and gorgeous. It had way more emotion and heart as well.
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alena-surya.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Alena_Surya »

I really hate it when the remake's plot differ from the original. An author's original work must be respected.
selena0698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by selena0698 »

It depends on the product. If it is good and suitable the trends.

Return to “Films and Books”