Cancelled TV Series Woes

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Aliciaroseperry1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Re: Cancelled TV Series Woes

Post by Aliciaroseperry1992 »

I read the "You" series that everyone is obsessed with on Netflix. While the show is flourishing, not enough people know that the book itself is literal gold. I fear the series might outlive the books- and the series has already put a bad taste in my mouth because it has the plot all jumbled up.
SurroundedByBooks
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surroundedbybooks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by SurroundedByBooks »

KRay93 wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 12:31 Firefly is always going to be the first one that comes to my mind. Although it ran for only 14 chapters, it seems to me that the series did a great job and that it had a lot of potential. "Out of Gas" must be one of my favorite episodes of any show in general, especially Sci-Fi. Luckily, the movie Serenity gave it a very good ending. Moreover, I accidentally saw the movie first on TV, before even knowing that the series existed, and I could understand it perfectly without having seen Firefly...
I have a feeling Firefly will always be the most perplexing cancellation. Still, Veronica Mars showed there is still hope. There’s 12 years between season 3 and 4!

Almost Human with Karl Urban is another series that springs to mind.
“You know, for kids!”
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

"Pushing Daisies" broke my heart when it got cancelled.
"Eli Stone"
"Heroes" (but misquoting Sheldon, it got so bad by the end it was a mercy that they cancelled it).
White_Nights
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Came for Christmas
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by White_Nights »

I think at that point it is a trend to stop a TV show after the first season or not to finalized it. There are so many examples. I was truly disappointed when Scorpion finished in the middle of no where after so much time invested in developing the story.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I don't know anything about those series that you wrote about. I do know that Criminal Minds was just cancelled following 15 seasons and it makes me truly sad that it is off the air. I suppose all good things must end, but oh I miss my show.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

SurroundedByBooks wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 12:47
KRay93 wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 12:31 Firefly is always going to be the first one that comes to my mind. Although it ran for only 14 chapters, it seems to me that the series did a great job and that it had a lot of potential. "Out of Gas" must be one of my favorite episodes of any show in general, especially Sci-Fi. Luckily, the movie Serenity gave it a very good ending. Moreover, I accidentally saw the movie first on TV, before even knowing that the series existed, and I could understand it perfectly without having seen Firefly...
I have a feeling Firefly will always be the most perplexing cancellation. Still, Veronica Mars showed there is still hope. There’s 12 years between season 3 and 4!
Firefly is the first series that came to mind for me too. Prison Break is another example of a show that was cancelled for a long time (about 8 years) before it got picked up for another season (with the same cast).

Most other shows I watch that have been canceled got to run at least several seasons. A few that I would have liked to see more of are SKAM, Eyewitness, and The Tomorrow People.
Doodle98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doodle98.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Doodle98 »

First, I was also really upset when The Tomorrow People was cancelled and I'll never know what happens. I might still be upset actually.

Second, anyone else wondering when there are going to be more seasons of Travelers? Because if it stays cancelled I'm going to be so nettled!

Okay, rant over, bye.
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

I was upset to learn the Netflix show Santa Clarita Diet was cancelled because it was so easy to watch, but it also talked about the hard parts of life.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

I actually don’t have a tv series that has ended but it sounds depressing.
redhornet0922
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redhornet0922.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B07CHWG1Y2

Post by redhornet0922 »

Honestly, I've been so disappointed in TV series that I get into that get canceled (Jericho anyone?) that I've almost stopped watching broadcast TV with a new series I think I would like. The whole concept that "If it doesn't please either the 65+ demographic or the 20-30 age group it won't sell" is starting to get a bit old to me. If you write good programs, you'll get the viewers. And you don't have to keep the same series on for 20 years to have success. And please, don't get me started about revamping old TV/Movies for the third time (yes, I'm looking at you Charlie's Angels!).
Joshuaomollo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshuaomollo.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Joshuaomollo »

I know this feeling. Experienced it with Deception which was cancelled after only the first season. I pray it returns some day.
blackpinkpurple
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackpinkpurple.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by blackpinkpurple »

Anyone here sad about Anne with an E cancellation? It was a wonderful show dealing with stuffs no one dares to talk about albeit being a teenager show. I am not a teenager but i love it. Anne is such an inspiration; to be just you however others treat or judge you. You should never stunt your imagination and don’t change because of the norms set by the society.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I don't know if you all remember this or even seen it, but there was a HBO series with Jill Scott and Anika Rose as detective in Africa and my God, it was amazing and they canceled for no reason.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

There are many good shows out there that have been cancelled and it's disappointing. It usually ends with a cliffhanger and leaves you wondering what happens next. If a show is going to be cancelled there should be at least one episode for closure.
MilaThegoddess
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milathegoddess.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by MilaThegoddess »

I loved Secret Circle! I was absolutely devastated when it wasn’t renewed? I had no idea that there was a petition going around ‘cause I would love to sign it ❤️

Another show I cannot believe is cancelled is Deadly Class! Whyyyy?!

Return to “Films and Books”