Over hyped Movies

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Re: Over hyped Movies

Post by Black Jewel »

The number one movie that comes to mind for me is Eragon... Good lord was that one, in my opinion, ruined beyond all repair.

Other movies in my mind would have to be the complete Twilight mess. I have never ever cared for the chick who played Bella (I think wet cardboard actually has more onscreen personality), and she completely ruins the entire thing for me.
Starofthesea89
Currently Reading: How the Word was Passed
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starofthesea89.html
Latest Review: Let The Children Come by Tom Fay

Post by Starofthesea89 »

Frozen. Listen I have small children, but gosh I'd rather watch just about anything else than Frozen. I took my daughter to see Frozen 2 in theaters and our whole group agreed that it was way better than the first and why didn't they make that one first instead.

And I may be in the minority in this one, but I'm a little over superhero movies in general. I think we've been way oversaturated with them in the last few years. I guess whatever makes the money.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

The Hunger Games, Twilight and Divergent top the list for me. When I hear a lot of talk about how great something is but you won't tell what that is, then I'll have to pass. That last time someone raved about something and recommended to me, I was highly disappointed. They said one thing but what I saw was the exact opposite.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

annahariet wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 06:28 Let me start by saying I did not like La La Land. First, I will never understand why they decided to cast non-singers to lead in a musical. I read that the director specifically chose non-singers to represent the realities of life and people and whatnot. If he wanted to make a realistic movie, what was the point of making a musical in the first place? I liked the piano parts. But none of the songs were catchy, and the singing was weak. With these two combined, the songs were bland and unremarkable. In terms of acting, both of the leads were great, but the pacing of the story was too slow for my liking that I ended up not liking the movie altogether.

Additionally, I think The Greatest Showman was just okay. The plot was so-so, and the entire story was skimmed over. My main issue with it is how the characters were never really fleshed out, and we never really see any character development except for Barnum's, and even that was questionable. Another issue is the number of historical inaccuracies in the movie, but that's an entirely different discussion. But unlike in La La Land, the musical numbers in The Greatest Showman are spectacular enough for me to forgive (or at least ignore) most issues I have with the movie.
I do not think La La Land was overrated. The reason they cast non-singers in a musical was to show that these people weren't perfect, they weren't perfect dancers or perfect singers. The fact it was a musical was just how the director wanted to convey the world, a dream world with reality intertwined with it. I think it was a beautiful film, but I cannot bring myself to watch it more than once. At least not soon after the first viewing. Good movie, but yeah possibly a bit "overhyped."

The one movie I will always believe was overhyped was Interstellar. I love most of Nolan's movies, but this one just doesn't do anything for me. I will go as far to say that this is one of his worst movies. The music and visuals are amazing, and the first half of the movie was pretty good, but the second half loses the grandiose adventure and just becomes a movie where they had the ending in mind and had to mad lib their way over to it. The thing that most exemplifies every problem was Matt Damon's character. It seems completely unnecessary, they couldn't find a way to dismiss the character who had waited 23 years for them to return, so they created an entirely new character to eliminate him from the picture. That's really his only purpose aside from giving them "reason" to enter the black hole. Also the treatment of the character of Cooper's son is downright insulting. Good aspects and great scenes, but overall this movie falls flat in terms of a coherent story from a writing standpoint.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

thaservices1 wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 19:47
KRay93 wrote: 10 May 2018, 10:58 I feel that many of the films that are usually awarded at the Academy Awards or at several international festivals receive an exaggerated treatment from critics.

If I had to think of one in particular, it always comes to my mind 2001: A Space Odyssey. I do believe that the visual aspect of the film (special effects, style and Kubrick's work as the director) is extraordinary. Outside of that, the pace is too slow, and there are many things in the plot that are difficult to grasp merely taking into account what the movie shows and tells.
I agree with you on 2001. It is dramatic the music powerful, the visuals even today are impressive. But wow did it go slow. I saw it as a teenager and then read the books which were amazing, so a lot of the story had become squashed up in my memory with the movie. When I watched it again earlier this year I was amazed how much of the story just wasn't explained, especially in the ending visual overload sequences. Hal though, shiver! Every time I see Disney's Wall-E with the Autopilot so obviously another Hal and I wonder how many kids will never get the reference. There's no way the majority of today's movie goers are gonna sit through a film like 2001. Better luck getting them to read the books.
I am in the process of reading the book right now, but I absolutely love 2001. It is excruciatingly slow, but I still love the story and messages presented. Most of all, I love Hal and how despite the fact he is a robot, many of the things he does are human. At its core it's a brilliant movie, and certainly one I will continue to resvisit in the future.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I am sure I will get some backlash for this, however, Lord of the Rings is completely overrated in my opinion. I never found the excitement in the movies. I also did not find that the Twilight movies were up to par. Some things are better off as books.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

well, I know a lot of people might want to crucify me for this, however, I will just go in and say it. Star Wars. I have never been able to relate with this movie. it is just boring to me. sorry to all that were offended.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

La la land was definitely an over-hyped movie for me. It was nice and that's it. It didn't leave an impression on me.
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

I thought the fight club movie was overhyped, but i watched it and I realized it was really good and deserved the hype it got.
Oluwaremzy3112+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oluwaremzy3112+ »

For me, it is Squid Game, a Korean movie. It was overhyped, just for me to see the movie and found out that it was not so special. Don't get me wrong, it's good but it didn't warrant so much attention.
Bello Qudus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bello-qudus.html
Latest Review: The Lady J Experiment by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bello Qudus »

This award goes to the hunger game series
Matlhodi Nozwayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matlhodi-nozwayo.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Matlhodi Nozwayo »

50 Shades Darker, AAArrrgg! It is literally a movie about normalizing unhealthy behaviors. BDSM is okay as long as it is consented by both parties and honestly, the movie was just not it.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

Mine is Ocean’s Eleven
I am not sure when it was that directors and
filmmakers stumbled upon the idea that all a movie
needs is a great cast to grab the audience, but
someone should tell them that a film is only as good
as its weakest actor.

So many heavyweights but the storyline not goof
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I actually thought Power of the Dog, by Jame Campion was somewhat overhyped this year in the run-up to the Oscars. While it was quite a good movie, I just got a bit weary of all of the hype around it regarding how many Oscars it would win. Besides that movie, I feel that most superhero action movies have way too much hype since their promotion budgets are enormous.
Aarya Gondkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarya-gondkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Aarya Gondkar »

Jurassic Park. Maybe I'll get a lot of hate for this lmao, but I felt it was just okay. I rather like the film Jumanji.
"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."-roald dahl

Return to “Films and Books”