The Magicians

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

The Magicians

Post by Tbunde5 »

Last summer I got hooked on the series The Magicians (on the ScyFy channel). At first, it seemed like a really twisted combination of Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia. Has anyone else gotten attached to these very weird characters? What is your take on the correlation to the Narnia series?
Jabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jabriel.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Jabriel »

I love The Magicians! It's one of my favorite shows. I can't wait for the next season. Have you read the book series it's based on?
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I'm curious about this show. I've read the trilogy, which I have mixed feelings about (mostly for the characters, because a few of them are just so unlikable). I hear the show does things quite differently though, and most people I know who follow the series praise it quite highly.
Dee71
Currently Reading: Lovecraft Country
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Dee71 »

I've seen the promos for this show a lot over the last couple years. Is it one you'd recommend? I didn't know it was also based on a series of books.
I'm not crazy about unlikable characters, especially if they aren't redeemable is some shape or form. What are your suggestions?
Faithfulreader+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Faithfulreader+ »

Love the show!!When I first saw the tv show on Netflix,I thought it was some kind of weird ouigi thing!But I was wrong when I watched it I loved it!!I can't wait for more!
Jabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jabriel.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Jabriel »

Donicka wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 17:11 I've seen the promos for this show a lot over the last couple years. Is it one you'd recommend? I didn't know it was also based on a series of books.
I'm not crazy about unlikable characters, especially if they aren't redeemable is some shape or form. What are your suggestions?
I highly recommend the show. I've also heard a few of the characters are unlikable in the books, but I think I'm going to give them a try anyway. I need something to tide me over until the next season.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I certainly saw the correlation between The Magicians and Narnia, though not so much Harry Potter. It was clear that the author drew inspiration from Narnia and then made it more twisted and dark. I read the first book and was not really a fan. I suppose I just did not like the characters. However, I did feel as though the first season of the tv series on Netflix was okay (even though I still do not love it).
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I saw the ads for the TV show so my husband and I picked up the audio book to listen to while we worked on our house together. I never finished it. He did but agreed that it wasn't worth it. It just got so boring and complicated.

I watched the show afterwards and loved it.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I love this series!!!! So much that it's one of the few I make sure to watch every week when it airs. I hated the books. They were boring and drab. But the TV series has better characters and the actors really know how to make the book characters be entertaining to watch.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Bryank
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bryank »

I watched the magicians a while ago but it seem really nice and it’s excited to watch it I really enjoy watching it .
Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender’s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Post by Jennz123 »

I liked it, a bit too dark for my liking but characters were interesting
tj doxa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by tj doxa »

I also watched it a while ago and i love tje whole fantasy things in it though i was left with thirst to watch season 2. I mean since the time i watched season 1 it was last year april up to now i am unable to find season 2. I really need to know what happened in that fantasy world.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

Yeah I think it's great and there are definite correlations to Narnia, but they are not so similar that it feels like a copy.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

I am completely hooked on this series. However, it tends to get more goofy and less series as the series goes further in. I think I am going to grab the books and see how that goes.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

I watched this a long time ago. I remember loving every minute of it.

Return to “Films and Books”