The Greatest Showman

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Re: The Greatest Showman

Post by MollyEnter »

It really inspired me to learn more about PT Barnum. I also enjoyed the music!
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
prayz_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by prayz_ »

The movie is beautiful! I ensured I downloaded all the songs after, but my favorite is 'From Now On'
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I. Love. This. Movie!

I love the cast, I think they portray the charters in a memorably humane fashion, and I'm already a fan of Hugh Jackman so to see him singing and dancing like he enjoys really puts a smile on my face. I love how the relationships that are examined are so genuine . Hugh feels deeply and passionately about his family and providing for them, but also seems to values all the little things that really making a family whole. The relationship between Zac Efron and Zendaya's characters have a fairy tale luster to it, without giving too much away, their musically duet perfectly sums up their feelings for each other and how both want to overcome society's challenges but aren't sure if their strong enough to manage.

Please don't get me started on how the banished and unloved individuals of society find a home together in the most unlikely of places! Just - this movie and it feelings it gives me are so uplifting I feel like like I'm flying.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I love this movie, so much particularly the songs that create an uplifting movie. I love the fact that it set in the past, but still addresses issues that are unfortunately still present to this day, but in different ways and different magnitudes. I would say it is definitely a must see!
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

I agree that this moving is absolutely amazing. The music and set design was stunning as well! I listen to "The Greatest Show" song at least once a day honestly. It just always puts me in a good mood.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I loved this movie! The story line and music are amazing. I still listen to this album on repeat over a year later. They actually released a re-imagining of this album with new artists, but it pales in comparison to the original.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

MollyEnter wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 22:52 It really inspired me to learn more about PT Barnum. I also enjoyed the music!
Same here! I'd always heard that the circus and how it came to be was interesting, but had never bothered to look into it before. This movie made me want to learn more too. What's the most interesting thing you've discovered?
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

The Greatest Showman displays loveable characters, incredible music, and a relatable storyline. The young man, born into poverty, valiantly building himself up to the man of his dreams. Only to come crashing down to reality.

Hugh Jackman and Zac Efron are brilliant. Their duet was fun and entertaining, showing how desperate Efron's Character is and hos persuasive and determined Jackman is. The women of this movie are powerful and inspirational. The music of this movie has been covered by many music superstars and will continue to do so for many years. The Greatest Showman is a must-see for movie and music lovers.
jolener23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolener23.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jolener23 »

I absolutely loved it! It's my all-time favorite movie of 2017/18. I'm a big fan of musicals and this musical absolutely met all of my expectations.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

It was an amazing movie... I loved the songs! Amazing performance from the lead actors.
AndersonFrancis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by AndersonFrancis »

:D it is actually a life story, it took the mate about 8 years or so to get the movie going. You know the mate am talking about Hugh Jackman our wolverine
langenbrat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-langenbrat.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by langenbrat »

I love love love this movie. I was initially interested because of Hugh Jackman and he did not disappoint, but Zac Efron was impressive as well. He's definitely matured from his High School Musical days! I got a copy of the DVD for my birthday and I watch it all the time. I do look past the historical inaccuracies because what movie doesn't take liberties with the facts?
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

Letora wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 20:58 I loved this movie! The story line and music are amazing. I still listen to this album on repeat over a year later. They actually released a re-imagining of this album with new artists, but it pales in comparison to the original.
I'm still obsessed with the album too! I couldn't agree more about the covers, although I do love the James Arthur and Anne-Marie cover of Rewrite The Stars :shifty:
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
macgl2001
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by macgl2001 »

I was looking forward to appreciate the vocal talents in the cast. I already knew Zac´s and Hugh´s from films like HSM and Les Miserables. However the rest of the cast´s performance was amazing. Beautifully done.

Return to “Films and Books”