Call Me By Your Name book/film comparison!

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
bweeze
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bweeze.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Call Me By Your Name book/film comparison!

Post by bweeze »

Hi everyone!!

Basically, I just finished Call Me By Your Name (both the novel and film) and am feeling a special ache that seems reserved for these kind of romance novels. What I wanted to ask though, to people who have experienced both novel and film, is which did you prefer? Did you feel the film truly expressed the desperation of the book? What do you think about the author saying he's straight and has never had a homosexual experience?

I'm a bit obsessed at the moment to be honest!! I do love these kind of romance novels and would love any recommendations for any like-minded books <3
csigman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by csigman »

I read the book AFTER I had watched the film for whatever reason. As I read the book I was kind of disappointed that they had opted out of showing the two men years after their love affair but when I watched the film again I kind of liked that they left it out because the ending of the film showed the emotion that Elio had felt and it also left it for a sequel. Overall I wasn’t disappointed!
bweeze
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bweeze.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by bweeze »

I liked the ending of the film quite a lot tbh, I felt the discrepancies in the novel/film allowed for the deviation in the ending. That said, I think both endings are very well suited for the story each of them tell. If that makes sense haha. I kind of hated the two main actors in the film, especially the one playing Oliver. Perhaps it was the directors fault, but I felt a lot of the tenderness of Oliver was done away with, leaving a macho and controlling older man.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I've been wanting to check out both the movie and book and after reading the comments I think I definitely will
David Milaham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-milaham.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by David Milaham »

I'm not very certain on this, but I think I'm fine with both. It's hard for me to decide what's best with things like this sometimes, and I guess I just don't mind.

Return to “Films and Books”