Do you love watching your country movies or foreign movies?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
kyri45
Currently Reading: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Do you love watching your country movies or foreign movies?

Post by kyri45 »

Most of my country movies are of humor genre. Almost all of them. And they involve a lot of sensual theme that aren't exactly of my taste. (I'm italian) And are very few the actors that speaks without any accents, and it makes me think if there is anyone in this country that can actually speak italian. So yeah, I prefer foreign movies.
Morningstar816
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Morningstar816 »

I enjoy a good foreign film, they have such a different take on creating movies. The story lines are funny, sad, entertaining and also give a good meaning. They have a sense of awkwardness to them. In the end it makes you think and wonder what’s it really like in the country.
hana2012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by hana2012 »

I love to watch foreign movies - American, British, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and others. They usually offer plots that I have never encountered before. Local movies tend to follow similar plots, which I find boring already.
BeautySuzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautysuzy.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BeautySuzy »

Foreign movies, I am Egyptian and i just rarely watch my country movies. All of them are just copycat to foreign movies.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

I feel like certain countries do certain genres better than others. I love Japanese horror, French dark comedy, and most of Europe does drama in a way that I love. I also like British comedies, but America does comedy in a way that I can relate to as an American, so it's easier for me to relax and unwind with an American comedy than other countries' comedies.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

I like both. Foreign films tend to come into view a lot when I'm at the library. Majority of my favorites are from Europe and Asia with a select few coming from Australia.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Lately, I have been trying to get into more foreign shows/movies. Shadow was pretty good on Netflix, but then I run into ones like The Immortals on Netflix and I have no clue what is happening because there's no dialogue, no character identification. Or The Protector, where it's seriously boring with nothing really happening in the show, or at least not happening fast enough to keep my attention.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

My country's film industry is only just finding itself, despite being around for a couple decades, but there have been some gems. I'd say it depends on the subject matter, and not a lot of it interests me because it's usually stuff I'm already surrounded by. American movies overrun our media anyway, so I'm mostly watching foreign films. Anime as well and some wuxia movies.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
nahimana1Moise
Currently Reading:

Post by nahimana1Moise »

I like to watch forein movies especially those from hollywood and some France ones... i would like to watch local ones unfortunately we dont have them since our country is still behind almost in everything
Hyscy_2018

Post by Hyscy_2018 »

I prefer foreign movies. I'm a Nigerian and my country's film industry (Nollywood) are yet to understand the concept of producing good movies except for a few of them
Waylonsmommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Waylonsmommy »

I am originally from Mexico and I love watching movies from there! But I am also obsessed with watching foreign movies like Asian or Indian movies!
finebunchofnothing
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by finebunchofnothing »

I'm originally from Russia, where unfortunately the days of great movies stayed in the past. I do love some Soviet movies, those comedies that never fail to make me laugh, but I wouldn't watch most of the modern movies even if someone were to pay me for that. So I prefer foreign films, though there obviously are exceptions, too.
And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fear
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Usually American movies are my favorites to watch. Though there are many bad ones out there too sadly.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
NnamAries

Post by NnamAries »

Anything good tbh, foreign or local doesn't often factor in.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Like Water for Chocolate, Strictly Ballroom, Run Lola Run, Life is Beautiful, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - there are so many good foreign films. Of course, American films are great too. I guess it just depends on the mood.

Return to “Films and Books”