Is anyone else nervous that the Ready Player One movie will be disappointing?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
lesliestokes
Currently Reading: The Diminished
Bookshelf Size: 981

Is anyone else nervous that the Ready Player One movie will be disappointing?

Post by lesliestokes »

I loved the Ready Player One book (by Ernest Cline) SO MUCH. I read it twice (and since I subscribe to the so many books, so little time philosophy, I NEVER re-read books) and listened to the audio twice as well (I adore Wil Wheaton narrating an audiobook). Almost everything about the book itself was perfect, and from the movie trailers I have seen, I am afraid the movie will be disappointing. Anyone else have this fear? Or has anyone seen the movie yet and can reassure me without spoilers??
I do think the soundtrack will be awesome (80s music!!) and I have a lot of admiration for Steven Spielberg as a director, so that is making me hopeful.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I haven't seen it but I also hope they don't mess it up! I'm excited for it
itaint_jasmine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by itaint_jasmine »

I watched it this weekend it was amazing,I believe that they did the movie justice and directing was so good
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I also listened to the audiobook - I thought Wil Wheaton was perfect as the narrator. And I LOVED this book! I am always nervous when a book I love gets optioned for a movie. But no matter the outcome, it's always fun to see the book come to life.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Annette Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Annette Smith »

lesliestokes wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 09:41 I loved the Ready Player One book (by Ernest Cline) SO MUCH. I read it twice (and since I subscribe to the so many books, so little time philosophy, I NEVER re-read books) and listened to the audio twice as well (I adore Wil Wheaton narrating an audiobook). Almost everything about the book itself was perfect, and from the movie trailers I have seen, I am afraid the movie will be disappointing. Anyone else have this fear? Or has anyone seen the movie yet and can reassure me without spoilers??
I do think the soundtrack will be awesome (80s music!!) and I have a lot of admiration for Steven Spielberg as a director, so that is making me hopeful.
I've just started reading Ready Player One today, I'm looking forward to getting into it. But i pushed it to the front of my "to read" pile, so that I could enjoy it before I saw the movie. Fingers crossed Warner Brothers don't murder it!
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

After seeing the movie, we went to Detroit and visited the actual "Ready Player One" video arcade. What a blast! And the effects in the movie are pure Spielberg!
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I've talked to a few people who have seen the movie, and they were severely disappointed. I am choosing to not watch it. I have developed a strong distrust of movies based off books after watching the adaptation of Dan Brown's Inferno. I actually had to get up and walk out of the theater for that one. I will watch movie adaptations, especially if I hear good reviews, but with all the negative reviews I've heard about Ready Player One, I think I will be sitting this one out.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Ready Player One is one my favorite books of all time, but I wasn't really that nervous about seeing the movie. I think a part of me already knew not to expect everything too much, since as a novel, RPO is one that would be particularly difficult to adapt. I think both Spielberg and Cline made some really good calls though, they probably knew they couldn't cram everything into a two-hour movie, and I also suspect there were a lot of rights they couldn't get to a lot of the pop culture and intellectual properties mentioned in the book. They did what they could, and I actually liked the movie a lot. It was fun, if nothing else. If you're a gamer, it's not to be missed.
Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender’s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Post by Jennz123 »

Parts of the movie were disappointing but other parts were pretty good
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I didn't watch it yet, but I'm definitely planning to watch it, although it didn't pique my interest enough, I'm still curious
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
OllyM
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Midwinter Turns to spring
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ollym.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by OllyM »

I have seen the movie and it's really interesting, trust me.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

im late to this conversation, and ready player one is one of my favourite books and the movie sucked. they removed the best parts and main conflict ( the break into IOl). i think a person who didnt read the book would enjoy it but i couldnt since it ruined the book.
Mishkah Simons DeVos
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkah-simons-devos.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Mishkah Simons DeVos »

I haven't seen it yet. After reading a few of the comments, I am really eager to watch the movie.

Return to “Films and Books”