Stranger Things season 2

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Ernie6988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernie6988.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Re: Stranger Things season 2

Post by Ernie6988 »

I just saw a preview for this and thought I should check this series out.
faceadventure
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faceadventure.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by faceadventure »

Honestly I was expecting a lot from the second season but I was left disappointed. I loved the first season, it was full of mystery and I loved getting to know the characters. Season two was a disappointment for me because it was mediocre. I didn't feel excited while watching it like the first season. But I did love the whole thing with Eleven finding out where she comes from and meeting new friends along the way.
Ray_27-7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ray-27-7.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Ray_27-7 »

I absolutely love the show. The secon season was epic. I dont know how the showrunners are gonna top an interdimensional being.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

I loved both seasons. They are compatibly matched so, if you liked season 1, you'll like season 2.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
chipmunck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipmunck.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by chipmunck »

I've watched both seasons and I felt they were pretty consistent with each other. I thought they did a good job of developing the characters and keeping them within the realms of reality from the first season.
Lolo Skyooz
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Hill House
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolo-skyooz.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Lolo Skyooz »

Well, I hate to tell you this, but that thing happened: That thing that happens to TV shows that are obviously great in their first season. Somehow the hype turns into pressure on the writers and directors/runners, or more money is invested by people who have certain expectations of the plot, or whatever the heck it is that causes this.

The second season is terribly rushed. Even the actors seem as though they are acting out each scene on a timer. The plot has whole threads left undeveloped and never mentioned again by the end of the season.

The naivete of the main boy character is pushed just a bit too far. The kids have little kid ways of referring to things they don't understand (ex. "the upside-down place"), and it just gets used to death. These boys look about 14. They're not babies.

The writers weren't sure how to amp up the stakes and continue a story that had already pretty much been completed in season one, so they just took the element of danger from the first season and multiplied it by, like, 1,000. It wasn't creepy, just kind of cheesy/overkill. The old phrase "don't jump the shark" comes to mind.

The whole thing where they use 80s horror conventions but then flip them on their heads in terms of gender roles...that gets more deliberate focus in season two, and it just feels somehow separate from the actual story, like some obligatory point they needed to make.

Season two of Stranger Things was an interesting watch, but not because it was all that great; more because it was like watching people ruin a good thing by overworking it in every way they possibly can.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I watched the second season, and I preferred it to the first season. I thought there was more humor and the characters seemed stronger.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

I have only seen “Stranger Things” season 1 – I finished watching this season in just 2 days. I really like the first season that’s why I’m looking forward for the next set of this series. Hopefully season 2 would meet my high expectations.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by dtb »

I liked it slightly less than the first season, but thought it was really great. The first season was more subtle and felt more mysterious to me.
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

Post by FilmStar »

I really liked it. I'll admit that I liked the first season better just because I didn't like how slow Will's story was about the Thesylhydra trying to get him and I was hoping for more of a story of his time in the upside down. I also don't like that the boys were separated from eleven for majority of the season in order to force the eleven/hopper father/daughter relationship. But I was glad that the season ended with a snow ball. I'm still excited to see season three. I hope that we don't have to wait too long in 2019 for the next season.
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

(Spoilers!)

I really liked the second season. I thought it was just as interesting as the first, and I ended up spending a few days straight watching the series because it was so suspenseful for me. I especially liked that we got to see Eleven's adventures on her own through rediscovering her mother and her "sister" Kali, as well as the father/daughter relationship that she had with Hopper. I do wish that Max had more of a part to play in this season, since she really didn't have much of an effect on the main plot, in my opinion. I hope that next season they give her a bit more to do in the group, now that she's fully acquainted with most of the members and (mostly) knows what's going on with the Upside Down. I also hope they expand more on Kali, as well as any other test subjects that may still be alive.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

Oh man El goes on such a journey in season 2, it's amazing. Same for Will! The season 1 main character seemed to be Mike, and in season 2, Will and El SHINE.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I absolutely loved the second season and how they expanded from the first. There's an episode that got some mixed reviews, but I absolutely loved it because Eleven is just the coolest.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

The character development of Steve worked really well and the dynamic between Eleven and Hopper is very interesting. The Barb story line is hopefully going to make the people in the town more critical of the scientists and their work.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:

Return to “Films and Books”