Are the books better or are the films better?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
rnraa99
Currently Reading: Call Me by Your Name
Bookshelf Size: 21

Are the books better or are the films better?

Post by rnraa99 »

I‘ve always had arguments with my friends whenever we talked about this. But now after watching several movies adapted from books (eg The Hunger Games, The Divergent Series, The Fault in Our Stars) and having more discussion on this (especially in English class), I realized that sometimes the film can be much better than the book.

In my class, we were talking about how the first book in the Hunger Games was better than the movies. However the sequels were much better than the book (in my opinion) because I felt that the plot in the books was so rushed and the movie was definitely visually beautiful. It definitely portrayed the characters well in the sequels.

So have you ever thought that certain books were better than films?
yowkichan
Favorite Book: Slammed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by yowkichan »

for me not really. I guess it would really depend on a person's perspective but for me the one thing i really put into consideration when i watch movies adapted from books is the sequence of events. Sometimes they shuffle it around it more dramatic and be more interesting to those who didn't read the book. Or when they miss specific lines from the book that i'm really looking forward to seeing or hearing from the characters in the big screen.

But i can't deny that even though i mostly prefer the book version of them, it's still exciting to see character's you've read about be put to life, not only that you actually know what's gonna happen but you sit there in the cinema feeling excited even though you practically know what's gonna be the ending.
Janey Olily
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Janey Olily »

I think the books are better. Books help to develop imagination and creative capacity. So you are actively involved in the whole thing.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Books are better! Over the years with advance technology, film makers are able to do so much more with a movie than before. However, books are able to take the reader on a deeper journey in the film. For instance, I love Stephen King novels, and out of all the books that I have read by him, the ones that have been made into movies do not come close to the same experience I get from the book. With a book, some things that are better understood using words than what a movie is unable to capture.
Jenbattnyc

Post by Jenbattnyc »

Definitely books!
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I would choose a book over a movie anytime. I think books do a much better job of explaining emotion to the very last detail compared to movies. But some movies are better than their book adaptation.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Danielle_Ellis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Danielle_Ellis »

Personally I've always thought that the books are better. To me the books are more detailed then the movies. Also, they are more interesting than the movies. However, don't get me wrong I love the movies too.
kenzieh_24

Post by kenzieh_24 »

I have honestly read so many books and watched so many movies that were based off of the books and thought that the books were better. Now I say this because to me books contain a lot more information and I think it’s best to always read a book before you watch the movie. This is very debatable though when it comes to Nicholas Sparks. He is a wonderful writer and his books AND movies are both GREAT!!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I have never seen a movie that is better than the book. That said, I really enjoy seeing scenes from my favorite books up on the big screen. The Harry Potter movies are a prime example of this, especially due to the magical elements.
Nikonov36085
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikonov36085.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Nikonov36085 »

I always thought the books are better. Sometimes in movies, they bring up things that only make sense if you read the book, which we all know not everyone does. But books have so much more detail and i like to think of books as longer movies, cause they play in your head as you read. The harry potter books are genius and the movies are amazing, but there are still things you would never know by seing the movies without reading the books.
Astril
Currently Reading: The Search
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Astril »

I think it all depends on the book and the movie honestly. Some times the books outshine the movies entirely, no questions asked, but I've learned that if you're constantly comparing books and movies you miss out on how good the movie actually is. I like the books more personally because I didn't grow up with a lot of T.V./movies, so books are what a gravitated to. They fed my imagination and strengthened my ability to read and write, something that watching the movie never did. And it was so much easier to stay up past my bed time reading than it was to try and watch T.V..
roamnoor
Currently Reading: God? Very Probably
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roamnoor.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by roamnoor »

I prefer the book. It allows me to dwell into the mind of the writer. Adaptation of a book is biased. It is based on what and hoe the director or producer interpret the book. It may not be what the writer had intended it to be. Thus, I will go with the book than movie.
LadyTL67
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladytl67.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by LadyTL67 »

I think that after watching movies and reading the books, I would say that the books are better. They go into more detail and can help you easily imagine the scene and the character and it captivates me to the point that I can't put the book down.
Then when I watch the movie, I compare them and find fault in it compared to the book. I will continue to do both as I do enjoy it.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I definitely did think that Hunger Games movies stuck to the books really well and turned out good. I think that Mockingjay should not have been stretched into two movies though because there was not enough material for that. It all just depends on who is making the movie.
My_life_as_allie

Post by My_life_as_allie »

The books are way better than movies. On some odd occasion the movie is a tiny bit better. I read the whole trilogy of the 5th wave and absolutely loved it. About a week later I watched the movie and it was okay but it didn't really capture all of the emotion and love that I have of the book and I was disappointed.

Book are always better than the movies :techie-reference:

Return to “Films and Books”