Are the books better or are the films better?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Lazychan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Are the books better or are the films better?

Post by Lazychan »

Hmm. In my opinion, books are somehow detailed while the movie is being like you know, uhhh. What’s that word again— shortcut to the book? Yeah, Book is a loooong journey while the movie jumps riiiight ahead and makes everything short. So in my opinion, since I’m a lazy person, I prefer movies but when I have the mood to read, book it is. So I’m like 50-50 so yeah.
Danimac217
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Danimac217 »

Most of the time the book is better than the film, because there is usually so much more detail in the book. However, I feel like no film could ever completely recreate 100% the experience of reading a book, but many come close! Everyone has a different way of picturing characters and scenes, that a film adaptation can't ever please everybody. I felt the first Harry Potter film was spot on, but not the Percy Jackson films ;)
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

The books are always better because the movies are simply adaptations of the books. Original is better.
cc_oreos1521
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by cc_oreos1521 »

In the case of Harry Potter, I believe that the books were better than the films, although the films expressed the story in an almost perfect way. The fact of the matter is, the books just have way more detail. Someone who has any sort of imagination can read the Harry Potter series and picture everything that is happening throughout the story. The amount of detail that Rowling gives is so great, it feels as though you are a part of the story. The films take the words on the pages, and creates an almost EXACT visual version. I absolutely loved every second of both the books and the films. A job well done to J.K. Rowling and the studio that produced the films.
richasingh146

Post by richasingh146 »

For me personally, as I am more of a book person, books are much better than the films, cause while reading a book, you create a similar surrounding around your self in my imagination, you somewhere have a face for your characters, and you along with your characters, experience the same think as them, while in a film, it's what you see, it's what they show you, it do not give you the option to create your own world.
Dennisk9

Post by Dennisk9 »

It all depends on the individual and the topic, and the order they are viewed. When I read "The Shining" I could actually hear the little boy calling "shining" to the janitor. The movie did OK with representing it but it real was no comparson. IMHO the mind of the reader is more open to wilder speculations with no reservations, whereas in a movie, there is always the ratings and how far you can push the envelope where in your mind there are no restrictions........................d
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

I think the biggest problem with movie adapations of books is that they so rarely match up with your own personal interpretation of how things look and sound. Combine that with the time constraints of a movie adapation, and you have a bad time incoming.

I will say though, I've found tv adaptions of books (See A Series of Unfortunate Events, Trollhunters, Mortal Instruments) tend to be MUCH better.
Priscillatobore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Priscillatobore »

I think the movies are far much more better than the books because through the movies you get to view and experience the practical of what is being talked on or discussed in the book. But going with the book alone as a reader, you only have the imaginary thought of what the book talks about.
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

mamalui wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 11:22 I would choose a book over a movie anytime. I think books do a much better job of explaining emotion to the very last detail compared to movies. But some movies are better than their book adaptation.
I second this! No matter whatever technologies filmmakers use, they still are not able to portray as much emotions as the books.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The argument could go on forever but both have their places and positions to occupy. I like the fact that books can engage your mind directly unlike films that you only have to sit and watch.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Dennisk9 wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 15:41 It all depends on the individual and the topic, and the order they are viewed. When I read "The Shining" I could actually hear the little boy calling "shining" to the janitor. The movie did OK with representing it but it real was no comparson. IMHO the mind of the reader is more open to wilder speculations with no reservations, whereas in a movie, there is always the ratings and how far you can push the envelope where in your mind there are no restrictions........................d
True, the books allow for wilder imaginations thus also enabling us to develop some mind skills.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
annahariet
Currently Reading: Fight Club
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annahariet.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by annahariet »

It definitely depends on the book and movie. Most of the time, I personally prefer books over movies because of my obsession with detail. Through books, I am able to explore the story in more depth. I'm able to construct an entire world using my imagination. With movies, there are a lot of details left out due to the limitations of time and resources.

However, there are some that I think are of the same level as the books, if not better. Like you've mentioned, Catching Fire was great. Another series of movies I liked was The Maze Runner. In these movies, I feel like they were able to present Teresa's character more clearly and effectively, whereas the books simply brushed over her development. They were able to show her rationalization behind her decisions, which made more viewers sympathize with her.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

If I got to choose, films are better if my favorite stories from the books could be watched on big screen and portrayed by good actors and actresses and with good director also.
What goes around comes around
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

I've always enjoyed the books. Movies normally highlight or modify the story for economic reasons or they think the plot is boring. The book gives you more insight into the characters and what really happened. For example, The Ten Commandments , starring Charlton Heston as Moses, depicts The Bible horribly. When Pharoah chased after Moses and followed him into the Red Sea, not one Egyptian survived. In the movie, after all his men drowned, Pharoah returns to Egypt and sits on his thrown in dismay.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
Aqsa awan

Post by Aqsa awan »

:) I think books are better, because while watching movie you get a lot of disruptions and don't enjoy that much in some cases. But while studying a book , your whole activeness level remains on the books and you feel yourself a part of that book . that's why reading is better than watching film.

Return to “Films and Books”