Are the books better or are the films better?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Re: Are the books better or are the films better?

Post by JuliaKay »

I have never seen a film based off of a book that I thought was better. I preferred The Hunger Games books, as I thought the movies were rather boring, though that is a matter of personal opinion.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
NerdGirl167
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NerdGirl167 »

I have always felt the books were better than the movies because the movies tend to change this to adapt to film settings and what ways it can best look on the film but lately my opinion is changing on this subject because for me, I think it depends on the film and the books. Some movies I have seen are way better than the book and often times the movie can exceed the book. I love to read and it bothers me when I see one of my favorite authors' books turned into series or films because most times, well with several movies I have seen don' stay true to the book, or as true as they can to the book, as I said above. It's really hard for me sometimes to get on board with these movies. I do agree that fault in our stars was a great adaptation of the book and there was another movie I enjoyed based on a book that I recently watch that was good. It's called Everything, Everything. It was very heart warming
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

On an extremely large majority books are always better than the films, since you get so much more in the books. You get to spend more time with the characters, see more deeply into their actions and reasoning, take the time to process what has happened and what that means for the characters and the plot. I do, however, have one book that I liked the movie for better and that A Walk to Remember by Nicolas Sparks. This is because I feel like the book was rushed and we didn't get the time to watch Landon and Jamie's relationship needed to grow, it seemed like everything just happened suddenly. While in the movie I could feel the flow of time moving more slowly.
Ekta shukla

Post by Ekta shukla »

Hey everyone,
Today's question is books and movies which one is better?

Both have their unique characteristics and benefits, although you can say that intellectually books are more beneficiary as like building your imaginative power.
Unlike movies they don't feed story directly so you need patience to read those and sometimes it is tiresome, but it increases your imaginative power.
You get to know what Writer is talking about first hand, not through some screenplay artist or director, it is your mind that makes all decisions, right or wrong.
Characters are not shown through some actors or actresses but you build them in your own mind and as they are perfectly described by Writer, no possibility of mistake.
All in all movies and books both are equally Good.
You just need to know what to like.
Being patient and building imaginative power or seeing what others thinks in just 3 hrs.
And one more thing in books is ,
The Book Stays With You<br>
Music has vinyl and writing has books, but movies don’t offer a physical object that offers an emotional connection—unless you want to count the campiness of VHS tapes. So, when you’re arguing about whether the book or movie was better, you might just be standing up for that old worn-in friend with the creaky binding that lives on a shelf in your bedroom. 😊😊😁😁
Kaylanicole143

Post by Kaylanicole143 »

I think books are better than movies because it let's your imagination flow. Books put you in your own little world. While movies are still good but sometimes it can suck when something you imagine in the book is different in the movie or the movie doesn't follow the book at all.
tarynnnnnc

Post by tarynnnnnc »

Often books allow you to make your own mental picture of the characters. This mental picture isn’t normally well met in the movies.

In my opinion books are better at giving you a mind stimulating visual, while allowing the reader to the make the world their own. Films however don’t leave imagination up to the viewer because everything is shown.

Books are better than the movies because you become a part of them, unlike watching a film. That being said, if you are not one who enjoys having to paint a mental picture movies are for you.

In the end there isn’t necessarily a way to tell if either is superior it all depends on the consumer.
JasmineH12

Post by JasmineH12 »

Me personally I prefer to watch the movies. I’ve never read any of the Harry Potter books, Hunger Games, and Twilight books as well. I feel as if once you read the book and then watch the movies, you’ll feel upset and ask questions like “why are some of the parts from the books missing?”
washington97

Post by washington97 »

The books are always better than the movies because the books are not written on budgets unlike movies. The authors are able to portray their characters far better than any movie director can. The only instance where a movie has come close to a book is the harry potter franchise.
shraddharm
Favorite Book: Beyond embarrasment
Currently Reading: The Disembodied
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddharm.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by shraddharm »

I think the books are better than the films because while reading, we can imagine the scenarios ourselves but when we watch a movie we accept what is being shown to us and that doesn't leave much for our brain to work on.
-R
E_Hardy

Post by E_Hardy »

Books are better then the movies. In books there are more details then what the movie portray there to be. Certain scenes in a book that just don’t make it in the movie.
Katie Bednar

Post by Katie Bednar »

Honestly I think it depends on the book, movie, and author. But more likely it’s going to be the book.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I too think that it is all about the contents of the works.
shraddharm
Favorite Book: Beyond embarrasment
Currently Reading: The Disembodied
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddharm.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by shraddharm »

I would go with books anytime. I don't like watching films that much and especially films that are based on books because I often get disappointed by them. My imaginations run wild when I'm reading novels but are restricted when I watch a movie. So I prefer books over movies.
-R
Alytoon

Post by Alytoon »

I prefer books, because of the details written, when i read them it feels as if I'm a part of the story. Like I live in the pages of the book along with the other characters. I feel their emotions through their words and the descriptions. Although some movies are indeed great at portraying the story of a book. I still prefer reading.

But in all honesty it actually depends on the how the book was written and how the movie turned out. That's my personal opinion of it.
Thebookstealer
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Thebookstealer »

More often than not, the books are better because there's a mind picture that words form that movie graphics just can't reach, like Percy Jackson and the Gods of Olympus, the Hunger Games and Morganville.
Then there's the case where the movie is just as good as the book, like Harry Potter.
And the extremely rare case where the movie is better, for example Game of Thrones in my opinion.

Return to “Films and Books”