Worst Book to Movie adaptation

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Worst Book to Movie adaptation

Post by JodyVamp »

For me, nothing is worse than what happened with Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Angry Dumbledore was completely out of character and was an unforgivable change to a beloved book. What favorite book was ruined for you when it made it to the big screen?
Bakemono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bakemono »

Mine has to be Stephen King's The Mist. But it's not the movie adaptation that was ruined. That was pretty perfect with an awesome ending compared to the vague one given in the book. Last year it was adapted to a TV show by Spike TV. They changed a lot of the story. I had to stop it and I never stop any Stephen King book adaptation.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

For me, it's A Walk to Remember. It's hard to hate on this film. Shane West was just so good! But, if you have read the book, like me, you know what I am talking about. :doh:
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
TaffHarrod
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TaffHarrod »

One for the Money, which was the first one in the Stephanie Plum series. People talk about how Cruise was wrong for Reacher but nothing compared to Heigl as Plum. The entire movie was just a major disappointment.
ericabhicks

Post by ericabhicks »

For me, the attempt at making Percy Jackson The Lightning Thief was so disappointing. Rick Riordans series was such a beloved set of books from my childhood and the directors of the film absolutely butchered the process. First of all, they casted Annaneth as a brunette, and they left out so many important aspects of the plot.
vinsam

Post by vinsam »

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

TaffHarrod wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 06:43 One for the Money, which was the first one in the Stephanie Plum series. People talk about how Cruise was wrong for Reacher but nothing compared to Heigl as Plum. The entire movie was just a major disappointment.
Yes! I love the series and was so excited for the movie, but it wasn't the book at all. While they left out some of the darker aspects, the casting felt all wrong and Grandma didn't get enough screen time. Too bad that movie bombed, there was so much more material to work with from the series if it had done well.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

TaffHarrod wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 06:43 One for the Money, which was the first one in the Stephanie Plum series. People talk about how Cruise was wrong for Reacher but nothing compared to Heigl as Plum. The entire movie was just a major disappointment.
Omg, that is too funny! I was driven nuts by Tom Cruise being cast as Jack Reacher. I was thinking more like Arnold Schwarzenegger. I have not seen or read One for the Money but I've heard really good things about the Plum series and not one thing about the movie. I think that says a lot.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 15:27
Omg, that is too funny! I was driven nuts by Tom Cruise being cast as Jack Reacher. I was thinking more like Arnold Schwarzenegger. I have not seen or read One for the Money but I've heard really good things about the Plum series and not one thing about the movie. I think that says a lot.
I was disappointed by the Jack Reacher casting. Tom Cruise did his best but it wasn't good enough for the character's justification.
-R
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

For me it had to be the adaptation of the last 3 Harry Potter books. I know that they are quite long to be really put into details but the best and important parts were changed and got cut. And i believe that those who have not read the book would really appreciate it more if they tried to make it closer enough o what was actually written in the books.

Another one would be Love, Rosie. The book actually defined me and my bestfriend's life. It ignited our passion for reading. It made us fall inlove with life, with love and with books. Then here comes the movie and everything we knew from the book was distorted. I felt terrible.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

For me it was Percy Jackson. I didnt understand how anyone could have messed up such a brilliant series.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

Gone Girl
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
Ciska C
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: Unf*ck your intimacy
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciska-c.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Ciska C »

The Girl on The Train. I felt like they missed a lot of important detail that was shared in the book when they made the movie. It actually lost some of the mystery and rounding of the main character.
smythemilie
Currently Reading: The Operator
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smythemilie.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by smythemilie »

For me it's definitely the Divergent series. They are Completely different and even all the major characters aren't included. Such a let down and the worst I've ever sat through.
Smythemilie
Asfiya Z
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asfiya-z.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Asfiya Z »

I don't think I have experienced this till now but I've heard people saying that The fault in our stars shouldn't be made into a movie because it spoiled the book.

Return to “Films and Books”