Anyone into musicals?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Re: Anyone into musicals?

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I love musicals, I watched both chicago and Grease. I also watch a bunch of modern musical movie.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I was a teenager when Grease came out in the movies and loved it. Generally I like musicals, but I haven't seen one in years.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I loved watching Grease when I was younger, and I saw Cats on Broadway in the 90's. Generally, I like musicals but I haven't seen one in years.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

My favorite musical of all time is Phantom of the Opera. When the Phantom sings "The Music of the Night", it gives me goose bumps.
xuqt2006
Currently Reading: RoseBlood
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xuqt2006.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by xuqt2006 »

I love musicals! I don't care what kind it is either. Everything from Rent to Mary Poppins to Grease. I can't even count how many I have been to between local high schools (don't judge) and professional theater performances. I also have a huge collection of musical movies, it's honestly massive.....
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sirlimu01 »

I love music since it carries inpiration, sensitivity, information etc. nusical is my favourite. I love to sing. The lyric of a piece of music passes information therefore, musical is educative
capricornius16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricornius16.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by capricornius16 »

I've never been a fan of musicals much. One musical I do love is The Sound of Music!
Ruzey2404
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ruzey2404 »

I really love music and I've got talent, but dunno how to improve it
GretchenLee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gretchenlee.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by GretchenLee »

This is actually an interesting topic for me. I have a Bachelor's in Theater Studies, and I've stage managed a few musicals. Weirdly enough, I don't like watching musicals as an audience member, though I love working on them. A few years back, I stage managed for a 'younger audience' adaptation of Monty Python's Spamalot It was a whole lot of fun and I would totally do it again if I could. But watching them--I just can't get into it. The random outbursts of song sometimes gets on my nerves.
nomadmadi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nomadmadi »

Wasn't really into them, but after watching The Greatest Showman I am considering the genre and might try to watch Mama Mia or High School Musical.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

The most obscure musical I enjoy is The Slipper and the Rose... It's a version of the Cinderella story. Anyone else familiar with this one?
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
myqueen80
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by myqueen80 »

I love musicals!!!! I used to live near Manhattan so I would venture to the city frequently to see musicals on Broadway. I heard that they are making a musical version of "The Notebook" and I'm very interested in seeing that when it comes to Broadway.
There's one book which was turned into a Broadway musical, very successfully, that I'm anxiously awaiting as a movie. That book is Wicked. Casting will be very important so as to match the characteristics portrayed in the novel.
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

Yes! Musicals Please 😀, I recently watched the 2018 Mama Mia 2. It was full of love, romance and all the clichés we all like in musicals. I'd really recommend for one to watch it. It's worth the while. :tiphat:
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

DustinPBrown wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 04:24 I like musicals when they're more artistic. Think Moulin Rouge or Sweeny Todd. I'm not a fan of musicals where the music is more pop-influenced.
I agree! Sweeney Todd is an incredible show, the movie was pretty good.
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I love the classic musicals like Singing in the Rain and agreed on West Side Story. But recently, I was so impressed with The Greatest Showman, I love that musicals are coming back!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Films and Books”