The Lord of the Rings

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Re: The Lord of the Rings

Post by ayoomisope »

kabanda wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 09:17 :techie-reference: i liked the moment when Gandolf was fighting with magics but i disliked Smigo because of his ideas of taking the ring.
I loved Smeagol a lot. Andy Serkis was great in the role imo.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

I really liked it and have re-watched it a lot of times.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

I re-watch the extended trilogy with my husband every year -- overall, I think they are fantastic. The level of detail and care that went into making them is impressive, for example, the chain mail made link by link, the forged and balanced swords, the lessons that the actors attended to be able to fight, ride horseback, etc., in a realistic manner. I think the story came together beautifully- the craft Peter Jackson displayed in drawing together the incredibly detailed sets, the epic soundtrack, the main story-line plus the side stories, and the revolutionary special effects, along with juggling a huge production crew, remote locations, and many actor injuries, is really impressive to me.

There were some changes, small and large, to the original story (the Balrog dying or not, the razing of the Shire), but I think that overall an adaptation is just that-- a story that is taken and refined to best fit a new medium. And in this, The Lord of the Rings trilogy is an example of excellent and considered storytelling. The changes made fit the pacing of the films.

The Hobbit is a completely different story, of course, and I couldn't figure out how Peter Jackson managed to mess it up so badly with it until I learned about what a time crunch he was on for it.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I loved lord of the rings. The scenes were both inspiring and captivating. I loved frodo's character in particular.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I loved all three films. I can't really point out a scene I hated. But the scene I loved the most would be the entire battle at Helm's Deep in The Two Towers.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I remember watching it when I was younger, but not fully immersing myself in it because I wasn't interested. However, something happened the other day, and I NEED to see it. It's about timing. So I'm ready now. :D
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I liked so many things about the lord of the rings, how noble and humble Aragon was the friendship between Legolas and Gimli, especially when they compete for who killed the most orcs, I like the comic relief by Merrin and Pimpim provided, Sam is like the most faithful friend ever and of cos Gandalf, I just love him. I didn't like how dull Frodo was at time I know its the ring controlling him but then still not an excuse. The part about the ent was boring although the book hinted this. Poor Smeagol, I cant help but pity him.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I tried watching it several times but I just can't seem to finish it. Not my cup of tea.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Breathtaking scenery/setting, amazing actors, excellent story, and great fighting scenes are the main reasons why I fell in love with "The Lord of the Rings" movie... I admit that there are scenes that are quite boring and dragging to some people... but overall, the movie kept me alive and interested.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I really loved the scenery in the movies, the details of the hobbit houses, I also liked the way they made Gollum. Least favorite part of the movie, cheesy Sam and Frodo love scenes.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

Hmmm.... those parts where they made Faramir seem more like his brother than he truly was.
Saruman's death and the way they left out the final piece with the scouring of the Shire.
Bukky Paul29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bukky Paul29 »

I can't forget the lord of d rings, d beasts in it,made d movie quite scary, I won't forget Gollum too ,d one dat lives on d mountain... well all dis made d movie more interesting...They also make use of one Gate of Moriah,which made me believe d mount of Moriah in d Holy bible...
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

The Lord of the Rings was a huge part of my childhood, and I believe it did inspire an entire generation of readers and film-lovers. My brother had the first book in the series to read for school but he preferred the film version. It was a great trip to the cinema each time to watch the latest instalment, though the length of the films left a lot to be desired!

I read The Hobbit in school as part of English class so I was familiar with Bilbo and Gandalf, and Gollum was brought to life in an extraordinary way by Andy Serkis.

The series has an amazing legacy, that is imperfect in places (as a commentator said above, the extended editions are truly too long), but I loved the addition of Arwen as the rescuer of Frodo and Peter Jackson's wish to shed more light on the few crucial female characters that existed in Middle Earth.

I have a great affection for LOTR and Tolkien's work will surely continue to be enjoyed for hundreds more years.
akor 26
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by akor 26 »

The Movie Is Highly Impressive. It's An Uninvincible Movie. Great And Unbeatable.
Kudo To The Movie.
Flick1976
Currently Reading: Two Sheldon Iowa Summers
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Flick1976 »

I loved all books & movies to do with Lord of the rings.
But the Hobbit was something else. Very disappointed

Return to “Films and Books”