Marvel or DC?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Re: Marvel or DC?

Post by Rwill0988 »

While I enjoy both, if only one of the comic universes were to exist (not tv shows or movies) I would pick DC. Most of their characters have rich back stories and their progressions are delightful. Plus a lot of marvel character mimic the DC characters (DC characters coming first). My all time favourite is Batman and I love how their have been different back stories and alternate realities with his character. Plus, the Justice Society of America, the Justice League and Young Justice League branches are all amazing at bringing story lines together.
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I'm definitely more of a Marvel fan, mostly because of the movies. I don't really like to read comics because there are just so many to get through, and I feel like I'll never catch up. The movies condense every superhero's storyline while giving lovable characters life through their actors. Personally, the movies are also more enjoyable.

Marvel movies are a lot better than DC movies, in my opinion. The MCU is just better developed and better structured. It entices you to come back for the next installment because everything is all connected. For that reason, I am loyal to Marvel.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I definitely prefer DC over Marvel.

Because Batman.

Honestly speaking though, DC has had a tragic history with films and this portrayal is why I believe Marvel has an advantage and an arguably slightly greater fan base. DC is not so bad on the animated films and series front but I'm not sure why there is such a huge gap in the quality of their movies versus the comics and animations. I actually really enjoy Marvel though, and the MCU films were some of my favourites by far. You didn't like Ragnorak? I enjoyed it immensely.
skbarrow100
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by skbarrow100 »

I would pick Marvel over DC any day. DC used to be good until it made The Dark Knight Rises. After that, their movies and actors have been really bad. Marvel, on the other hand, have had great quality movies and they have chosen the best actors for their heroes. I would say the Marvel and DC comics are about equal. Some are really good and some are just terrible and make no since. And also if you were to have DC and Marvel fight against each other, the Marvel characters would destroy DC's.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Marvel for movies, but I like DC characters better in general... other than Deadpool. Deadpool kicks everyone's ass.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

If we're talking about movies, I think there's no competition; Marvel would win overall. Whether the marketing, storytelling, or acting, the MCU staff invested a lot of effort into making it successful.
But if it's between everything-Marvel and everything-DC, my favourite is the Batman games, like Batman: Arkham City. The story is much more elaborated than a movie (probably because it's a game.)
alkire8655

Post by alkire8655 »

I grew up Marvel AND DC. I actually like both but there are a few characters on both that I don't care for. The Avengers movies are among my favorite. I am not happy that Spider Man has left the MCU but it is what it is.
jvillalobosm86
Currently Reading: Wellness Toolbox
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvillalobosm86.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Post by jvillalobosm86 »

More of a DC guy myself. Don't get me wrong, nothing against Marvel, they do a superb job and their movies have reached an amazing amount of people, turning them into fans.
I personally like more the sombre and gloom style DC uses, though I must admit I will always defend Batman over Superman, any day of the week.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I've always been a DC fan but I lose a few brain cells anytime a very terrible film based on the comics is made. To be honest, I actually really like Marvel too - their characters are more flawed and real to me. I'll always rep DC though, unless Marvel can come up with a character I think is superior to Batman.
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

I was always a Marvel kid growing up. X-Men and Spiderman were my big ones.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle
Thabang Amos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabang-amos.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Thabang Amos »

For the most part of my life I have been a DC fan, it's history and its characters. The legacy of it all so it has been so close to my heart.

Over the last decade however it has become apparent that Marvel is going far ahead in terms of comic characters and how they translate onto the big screen and there has been a decline in the DC world. DC has fallen short of blockbusters and that's mainly due to the directors and producers of the many movies that they make, which in my opinion they should've been far better.

The Dark Knight is the best DC movie ever created and as such, many of their movies should've followed its lead but I guess the powers that be at DC just don't understand how to effectively adjust from comic books to the big screen.
xjulirenae

Post by xjulirenae »

This is a dangerous topic. :P I am a Marvel Fan all the way. I've never read the comics, only seen the movies. I don't think DC is the worst thing ever, but I don't like most of the characters. Wonder Woman is probably the only DC hero I actually like. I like Marvel better because the world feels more real, more connected to real-life possibilities. Of course, none of it is possible, but it has that sense of 'realism' that I can't seem to find in DC movies. Plus I feel the characters of Marvel are more developed, more in-depth with flaws and weaknesses. DC characters seem quite generic, to be honest.

What do you think?
-Julianna
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Honestly, I do prefer Marvel over DC as well. I like DC, but I feel that Marvel has more characters that fans can relate to. I personally find Iron Man (Tony Stark) to be my favorite superhero. He was down to earth and open with everyone. He also took Spiderman (Peter Parker) in as his son. That is why Marvel has my love before DC.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Mudit77

Post by Mudit77 »

Life is entertainment as marvel comics movie better as compared to dc comics movies because of the cast of the movie as well as the way of presenting the movie marvel always have a twist in the movie the make and the most important part of the climax is well designed and creative as well as unexpected

But as compared to marvel comics movies dc comics movie have better animation work this point is ti be noted for the favour of dc comics

Both the comic have incomparable characters and their creators are legends

😎😎😊
comicfreak

Post by comicfreak »

I am an avid comic book reader ,movie watcher and have been collecting comics for over 40 years. I am glad with all the marvel and dc movies that have come out are appealing to everyone. But to me Marvel comics and movies seem to have a lot more action and are eye appealing. Now that Stan Lee is gone making of there movies are slowing down, but hopefully will never end.

Return to “Films and Books”