Which movies made you want to read the book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Rayift
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Which movies made you want to read the book?

Post by Rayift »

I watched the series "A discovery of witches" and it made me seek out the book by Deborah Harkness. The series just came out so it's just season 1 but the book is a trilogy and it was fantastic
OpinionatedEducator
Currently Reading: Pachinko
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opinionatededucator.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by OpinionatedEducator »

Dumplin!!

But often I find out that a new movie is based on a book so I go read the book first. That's happened a lot recently with books such as Crazy Rich Asians and the Divergent series.
PegR
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by PegR »

I do this all the time!!! The first thing I do when I watch a movie trailer is find our if it's based on a book. This give me a drive to set goal and get ready for the movie. I know you can never compare but it's a hobby I've develop when all this amazing books I dont really read on my own are turned into very good productions. I want to expand my reading list.
spellbindingstories
Currently Reading: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by spellbindingstories »

This is going to sound super cheesy, but the High School Musical and Camp Rock movies were really what got me into reading. I mean, I've always loved it but I think it was them that got me addicted. Back in the day, supermarkets and Disney World would have these short, children's paperbacks with unique stories for what the characters were doing after or between their respective movies. I absolutely loved reading them. They definitely jump started a love of books for me!
BeautySuzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautysuzy.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BeautySuzy »

Mortal Engines, the movie might not be fair but the book series sure to be spectacular.
Think outside of the books.
TigamineReader28
Currently Reading:

Post by TigamineReader28 »

Let's see,
Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility, and To All the Boys I've Loved Before.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

Again... it's not a movie but a series and its Game of Thrones I haven't read the books yet but I'm definitely interested.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Also not a movie, but I finally read The handmaid’s tale after watching the first two seasons.

I was just floored. Both by how good the book was and how glad I am I finally read it, and how good of an adaptation I think the tv series is...
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

The Harry Potter movies made me want to read the book, along with I am number four because I really wanted to know the rest of the storyline.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. I saw 3 Harry Potter movies before I started reading the books and I only knew about Percy Jackson books after I accidentally stumbled into the movie while channel surfing.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I watched whole harry potter series and i just looooved it and i then read the books and the books were just amazing. I loved book series more than the movie series.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Jimaras

Post by Jimaras »

I have read all Harry Potter s books and I have seen every single movie and I can say that I was amazed because movies had something special. The actors were suitable and they were very good.personally movies were more attractive
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

I recently saw the trailer for the movie "After" which is based on the book by the same name by Anna Todd, the movie looked good so I went and got the book to read. I enjoyed the book, but it was a bit long drawn out. Now I am just waiting for the movie to come out so I can compare the two.
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

Chyenne Massey wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 19:21 Love, Simon, The Hate U Give, Everything Everything.
I recently watched Love, Simon. It was a great film, although I wish I had read the book first!
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

Anna Bellle wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 05:35 I watched whole harry potter series and i just looooved it and i then read the books and the books were just amazing. I loved book series more than the movie series.
I agree! I watched the Harry Potter films first then read the books after. Both were amazing! I enjoyed all the extra details reading the books that weren't explained well in the films.

I've also been reading The Sookie Stackhouse Novels. The TV series True Blood is based on these books. I've already watched the TV series twice, as it's one of my favourites. I thought I may have ruined the books by not reading them first, but the books are sooo good. I would highly recommend them

Return to “Films and Books”