Which movies made you want to read the book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Re: Which movies made you want to read the book?

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I saw Harry Potter movies before reading the books. Even though I knew what was going to happen I still loved the books.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

For me it is not a movie but rather a TV series: Carbon Copy. I want its book by Richard K. Morgan.
Leigh__k
Currently Reading: His Dark Materials
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leigh-k.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Leigh__k »

I watched the trailer of Bridgerton and that made me want to read the novel and later I watched the TV series and I loved it can't wait to see how they develop the other books.

I saw the trailer for his dark materials and I could not get enough of it and I ended up picking up the books but I still haven't watched the series I can never really read books after watching the movie or series,I prefer to read it before watching the movie or series
L1nzGab2
Favorite Book: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Currently Reading: One Hundred Excuses
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l1nzgab2.html
Latest Review: First Love by Momi Robins

Post by L1nzGab2 »

For me it has been chicklit movies like Can you keep a secret? And Confessions of a shopaholic that made me want to read the books and I also enjoyed them too.
DianaMich
Favorite Book: Seeker 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianamich.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by DianaMich »

For me it was the Maze Runner series. I watched the movie in theaters. I was really intrigued. I have now read all of the books. They are really good, really enjoyed reading them.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

I started reading Harry Potter when I was young and after the third bbook I got access to movies. So, as a fast track, I covered the whole series. Yet I felt that the movies lacked descriptions. So I went back to reading the series
angelmuktar
Currently Reading: The Binding Stone
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by angelmuktar »

The Divergent movie made me want to read the book and the whole series. Every time I finished one of the books I would watch its corresponding movie. It was such a struggle for me to finish a book and then wait for the new movie to be released but it was fun to do.
Zoey141
Currently Reading: elephant vanishes
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Zoey141 »

I want to read Mario Puzo's "The Godfather." I loved the first and second parts of the movie. Definitely an epic in terms of screenplay, music, and acting. But I'd like to understand the Italian families and rivalries in the movie better.
buzy4books
Currently Reading: The Silence of Ray
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reading Device: B07K1RZWMC

Post by buzy4books »

There's been many, but the first may have been Interview with a Vampire.
EricaCurdy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EricaCurdy »

I absolutely love watching a movie and finding out there’s a book also! One movie I love is Les Miserables, I really want to read the book.
alohaaleii
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Touch Me Not
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alohaaleii.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by alohaaleii »

The one movie that made me want to read the book is Fault in our stars. (I currently own a copy.)
theprakriti
Currently Reading: The Glass Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theprakriti.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by theprakriti »

13 Reasons Why, Twilight
K-A-Y
Favorite Book: The Bride Test
Currently Reading: Walking Dead
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-a-y.html
Latest Review: The Finesser by Patrice Brown

Post by K-A-Y »

For me, it was The Witcher. Technically that's a show though. Thoroughly enjoyed watching it so I was moved to look for the books.
Good thing I did too cause it helped me understand the movie better as I realised the events kept going back and forth between the past and present.
Love & Light
K-A-Y 🧡
qazwsx
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by qazwsx »

I have. Many times. And sometimes the reasons are good and sometimes they are bad.

I often talk about what a great writer Stephen King is, and then I often turn around and mention how I don’t like a lot of his stories. (I don’t like the way so many of them don’t really end. My personal opinion of this is that kind of ending is “scarier” to him so that’s what he writes.)

I pick on Mr. King because, at this point, I am sure he can take it. And I am going to do so again right here, so stop reading now if you are his second biggest fan. (Not really. I’m only going to pick a little.)

(Also, in no way shape or form have I read all of Mr. King’s books, so please don’t think I am calling myself an expert!)

First, neutral ground: The Green Mile was an excellent book that made me want to see the movie which was also excellent. And, one of the few movies I’ve seen that I felt was really pretty true to the source material.

Now, a moment of negativity: Dreamcatcher was a convoluted confusing book for me. The characters worked well, but I just couldn’t figure out what the heck the monsters were/were doing/did/done/whatever. I mean, the scary stuff was scary, yeah, but … I have no idea what was going on/what happened and then it was over.

This is an example of something I think scares Mr. King, so he writes it to scare others. A good, solid way of writing horror, to my way of thinking, but it doesn’t work for me when he leaves it hanging. I like neat endings. I like to see the monster. He likes to leave frayed threads at the end that are being tugged on by invisible unknowns. Scary to him, frustrating for me.

So when Dreamcatcher became a movie, I went to go see it for no other reason than to see if I could understand the ending. I figured that they would have to explain it to the audience somehow, right?

I was wrong.

Now here’s the positive: IT. IT (2017) was a great movie. I had seen some of the made-for-tv version years earlier when it first aired, and…well…I lost interest. (I had to finish it years later, on a matter of principle. Anyway.) IT (2017) was so good, but… it had the same kind of problem: it didn’t really tell me what the monster was! However, when I saw the end of the film, and remembered what little I knew from the first version, I realized this was a very small part of the story, and that reminded me of how great a writer Mr. King really is. So I decided to tackle the TOME that book is. I hadn’t ever tried that one before. And I figured I wouldn’t really get an answer to what IT was, but I knew I’d get a hell of a story, because Mr. King is a great writer.

And I was right. He brought Derry to life for me.

(I also wanted to read The Princess Bride when I found out there was a book. I was a bit more disappointed in William Goldman’s vision. Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker didn’t hold up as well as the imagine my surprise when, years later, I found out it was written by one of my favorite authors, Alan Dean Foster!

Oh! I just thought of an interesting one! Remember Jeremiah Johnson? That one sent me off reading some really interesting books, most of which turned out to be “tall tales” about the real man the story was “based” on, but man, those tall tales were interesting reading!
Claire Vaal
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-vaal.html
Latest Review: So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

Post by Claire Vaal »

Harry Potter!

Return to “Films and Books”