Which movies made you want to read the book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
_priyamvada_
Favorite Book: the book theif
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyamvada.html
Latest Review: Pivotal Moments by Susanne Birgersdotter
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Which movies made you want to read the book?

Post by _priyamvada_ »

The Fault in Our Stars
Irwin M Fletcher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Irwin M Fletcher »

Too many to list really, if I enjoy a movie that was based on a novel I'll usually read it. Though if I see a new movie coming out based on something I haven't read and it looks good, I usually try to read the book first. I even collect/read a lot of old movie tie-in novelizations for movies that weren't based on a book but they decided to adapt it into a (usually crappy) book. Though there are some pretty decent ones, Alan Dean Foster's novelizations of the "Alien" films and John Carpenter's "The Thing" were very entertaining. The first time I saw a movie and decided to read the book was The Shining when I was a teenager, mainly because I wasn't sure what I had just watched.
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

Name of the Rose...like Jesus Christ, what a movie!!!
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

I watched the first Hunger Games movie and I enjoyed it. Then I went to find the books and finished reading them quickly. They were page turners.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

Lord of the Rings, The Green Mile, Twilight, Alice in Wonderland, A Christmas Carol, Dorian Gray.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

Surprisingly, The Vampire Academy. Though the movie was average, I could tell the book had real potential
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

For me it was Holes many years ago. I remember seeing the trailer for the movie and then scrambling to find and read the book in time, before the movie came out.
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

I watched Ender's Game and as soon as I finished the film I bought the book, which I enjoyed even more. I also watched Pride and Prejudice recently and I'd really like to read the book sometime soon!
I'm not sure if this counts because it's a series, not a film, but after watching Season 1 of Game of Thrones I bought the complete book series and now that I've finished them I can't wait for the author to release the next one!
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

The movie It from 2017. It was so good and I loved the characters so much that I started reading the book like two days later and I couldn't stop. I'm not even a fan of horror movies but It was so much more than just that.
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
Mimigul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Mimigul »

I had read Pride and prejudice earlier and hence watched the movie, and loved it as i found the main character's sketched very well . its always happened the other way round with me, that i have read the books and then watched the movie , Alice in wonderland, Twilight,Harry potter series etc
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Post by Imperio »

This usually doesn't happen to me because if I think I am interested in a movie, I purposefully don't watch it until I read the book. With that said, though I Am Legend was an exception.

Believe it or not, I actually didn't know I Am Legend was a book. The movie was great, but the book was better. I swear to you, the book was one of those books that made me actually say "wow" out loud as I closed it.
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Post by Imperio »

Mimigul wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 22:10 I had read Pride and prejudice earlier and hence watched the movie, and loved it as i found the main character's sketched very well . its always happened the other way round with me, that i have read the books and then watched the movie , Alice in wonderland, Twilight,Harry potter series etc
That's actually so interesting because it was the other way around for me with Pride and Prejudice! I knew that I really wanted to watch the movie, so I forced myself to read the book. I'm not a huge fan of classics, but I finished Pride and Prejudice and I absolutely loved it.
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

Definitely Harry potter. I felt more connected to the book than the movie
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

I really thought The Lightning Thief is a great movie and it made me want to read the book. But, when I read the book, I realized how terrible the films are
Edna016
Currently Reading:

Post by Edna016 »

I feel like I saw there was a book first before I actually watched the book . Sometimes it was the other way around and then I would think : Which one should I do first ? It wasn't really like that though. If I could easily get the book I read it . If I could easily get the movie then I watched it. So basically if they were both available I would do both. Such as "the fault in our stars", "the notebook", "a walk to remember."

Return to “Films and Books”