Which movies made you want to read the book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Re: Which movies made you want to read the book?

Post by strawberrysab »

Libs_Books wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 04:22 The House of Sand and Fog made me want to read the book - and I'm glad I did, but I think this is one case where the film was actually better.
OMG I loved that book and the movie too (drawn by the cast, I admit it!). Also, you're the only person beside me who seems to know it :?
Berry :wine:
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

strawberrysab wrote: 16 May 2018, 06:49
Libs_Books wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 04:22 The House of Sand and Fog made me want to read the book - and I'm glad I did, but I think this is one case where the film was actually better.
OMG I loved that book and the movie too (drawn by the cast, I admit it!). Also, you're the only person beside me who seems to know it :?
That makes us part of a select club of two, then. :) Not counting the friend who lent me the book, but hadn't seen the film.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

The Notebook. I think it is a good movie but there are the back stories that cannot be accurately shown in the movie and the character's thoughts are also often not portrayed, unlike when they are in a book.
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

One of my favorite movies is Practical Magic. I discovered the book by Alice Hoffman after I'd seen the movie. Normally, the book is better than the movie. But this time, I found that the differences between the book and the movie ended up making me like the movie more. The book was actually difficult for me to finish because I found it wordy and boring in places but I pushed myself get get to the end anyway.
MackenziePerez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MackenziePerez »

Which movies made you want to read the book?

The first movie that I saw that was a book adaptation was Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief after I watched the movie I begged my mom to get me a copy of the book, I finished it in a span of a week and I could say so for my 10-year-old self that I liked the book better than the movie.

Another movie that I watched that was actually adapted from a movie was Mortal Instruments as I finished the movie I wondered "did those things really happen in the book or what is exaggerated on the screen again?" and I agree with my 13-year-old self when I say, once again, that the book is so much better than the movie.

Nevertheless, I give both movies a 3/10 but the books a 10/10
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

I like the movie “The Lovely Bones”. Its fantastic story caught my attention and made me curious of what would it be like to read its book – if it would make me feel the same way as what I’ve felt when seeing its movie or if it’s much better reading it instead.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I watched Vampire diaries and was like,the book has got to be awesome.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

The Harry Potter movies got me to finally read the series in seventh grade. After a certain point, I found the movies confusing so I figured the best way to figure out what in the world was going on was by reading the books. Definitely did not regret that decision! They remain my favorite series ever to this day! :D
Shraddha_rc
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-rc.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shraddha_rc »

"Fifty Shades Of Grey" was the movie that I watched first and was informed by my friends that it was based on a book. That's how I came to know about the series.
AnomalousInsecr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by AnomalousInsecr »

My first time posting something in this site.
:tiphat:

There are so many movies which inspired me to read the book.

The most recent was The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I am still busy with it and so far I am thoroughly enjoying it. I love the concepts of the different characters and the overall theme behind the book. I wanted to read it because I felt the movie didn't fill my hunger for more.

Another recent was The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. This one I couldn't put down and I think that both the book and the movie was awesome.

Then there was My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I really loved this book, especially since it was so different from thr movie. The reason why I wanted to read the book was simply because of how the movie played on my emotions and how much the story line touched me.

The reason why I even started reading books by Stephan King was because of a few of thr movies based on them for example: The Shining, 1408 and Pet Cemetry.

I fell in love with thr Harry Potter fims and I suppose I just wanted to go deeper into the plot and so I read those books too.

There are just so, so many.
Lolababs94
Favorite Author: Mariana Zapata
Favorite Book: The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolababs94.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 11762

Post by Lolababs94 »

The DUFF and The Harry Potter series made me want to read the books. In both cases, I found the books to be better.
cpivie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cpivie »

Jurassic Park, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Help all made me very interested to read them. It was interesting how different Jurassic Park was from book to movie, yet I enjoyed them both. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was hard to read after the movie because it was almost like reading the script - but I loved how true to the book the movie was! I have yet to read The Help, so I can't compare the two yet. How fun it is to discover new books through movies!
-brintontaylor
Currently Reading: Pretty Little Liars
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brintontaylor.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by -brintontaylor »

After watching all of "The Hunger Games" movies - I fell in love with the characters. I decided to buy the book series but I still haven't got around to reading them!
Nina255

Post by Nina255 »

I watched the Twilight Saga, and I was teenager back then, means that I was one of the affected by the Twilight fever, when I watched the last movie in 2012 , I bought the books, to make my fantasies last longer, and I was really shocked, Stephanie Meyer is the best, you can imagine Edward Cullen without watching the movie since then I decided to read a book before watching the adapted movie
SingularityRising

Post by SingularityRising »

Most recently, Ready Player One. I always think it's best to see the film first as the book is usually better. It stops you from looking at the film objectively.

Return to “Films and Books”