Which movies made you want to read the book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
The Canadian Witch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1329">Blue Haven</a>
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 322

Icon Which movies made you want to read the book?

Post by The Canadian Witch »

Which movies made you want to read the book?

I saw the first 3 or 4 movies of the Harry Potter series before i actually started reading the books, and have now read almost each book at least 12 times.

The mists of Avalon is a 3 hrs long movie that i fell in love with and discovered it was based on a book, so i went to my public library and lucky me, they had it. They don't have many books in english in my public library. As i live in Quebec Canada, most books in libraries are french, so i was even more lucky to find it in english. I always prefer reading the original language instead of translations. The book is huge, it takes me 7 days to read if i just do that all day.. in comparison, the 7 Harry Potter books also take me 6-7 days to read them all. I've read the mists of Avalon 3 times so far.

I still haven't read Stephen king's Rose Red but i really want to read it, as they don't have it in my city, but i've seen the movie a couple of time, which is 4 hrs long, so it makes me wonder how big the book must be haha.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

A lot of reviews of the movie Paper Towns said that the book had a very different ending, and what they said made the story seem a lot better than the film's, so I decided to read the book.

I read Dostoevsky's The Double because I really liked the movie, and I wondered how they adapted the 19th century story to modern times.

Reading Fight Club was a dissapointment after the great David Fincher film. Psycho was also similar, in that the Hitchcock movie was a lot better than the book.

Read the Night Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko after watching the first movie. It's still one of my favorite fantasy series, and the films were really butchered by Bekmambetov.

I decided to read Hunger Games after watching the first film's trailer, but I'm not sure that counts.
OllieNor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by OllieNor »

After seeing Bladerunner 2049, I went back and read Philip K. Dick's 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'. After that I also read his novel 'Ubik.' Both fascinating books.
afton_moye
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afton-moye.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by afton_moye »

I saw the movie The Choice and fell in love with it. I have yet to read the book but I can't wait and I hope it's even better than the movie!
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Not a movie but the mini series Our Mutual Friend from 1998 based on the Dickens novel with the same name made me want to read the book.

Which i did and its one of my favorite books of all time.

Damn it just hit me its almost 20 years since i read the book.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

The Canadian Witch wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 18:06
The mists of Avalon is a 3 hrs long movie that i fell in love with and discovered it was based on a book, so i went to my public library and lucky me, they had it. They don't have many books in english in my public library. As i live in Quebec Canada, most books in libraries are french, so i was even more lucky to find it in english. I always prefer reading the original language instead of translations. The book is huge, it takes me 7 days to read if i just do that all day.. in comparison, the 7 Harry Potter books also take me 6-7 days to read them all. I've read the mists of Avalon 3 times so far.
That's so funny, I did the exact same thing with The Mists of Avalon! I really just loved the story so much and anything from Aurthurenian legend gets me pretty easily.

I can only remember two other instances where I did this and it was with The Count of Monte Cristo and Just Like Heaven. Both times, ironically, I enjoyed the movie more.
princessERI
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 599">Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princesseri.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by princessERI »

AliceofX wrote: 28 Dec 2017, 12:11 A lot of reviews of the movie Paper Towns said that the book had a very different ending, and what they said made the story seem a lot better than the film's, so I decided to read the book.
I decided to read Hunger Games after watching the first film's trailer, but I'm not sure that counts.
After what you said about Paper Towns, I think I'll follow your suggestion by reading it. My sisters watched it and kind of disappointed about the ending though they accepted it.

For the Hunger Games, I prefer the books. There are more explainations that the film can't cover. Especially for me the ending part. It lacks the deeper meaning of Katniss' choices.

Though it is understandable for the books is portrayed in first person point of view.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

Harry Potter movies made me want to read the book. I honestly love the HP universe so much - I think I can never get tired of it.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
dancinladybugs
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinladybugs.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by dancinladybugs »

Alot of longer classics. Bleak House (after watching masterpiece theater adaptation), Vanity Fair, Anna Karenina
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I saw the trailer for Twilight, then I heard there were books, and I went straight for the books.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Watching Divergent made me read the whole series. Also the Pride and prejudice movie enticed me to read the Austen book.
GerganaIvanova_7
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by GerganaIvanova_7 »

The devil wears Prada. I've watched the movie long before I decided to read the book, and both are great!
whoisaida
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by whoisaida »

Beauty and the beast.

The movie starring emma watson, i found the book at the bookstore and quickly bought it. I read the story book and reread it again and didnt get bored of it.
swirlofink
Currently Reading: 'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by swirlofink »

After I saw Everything Everything I really wanted to read the book. Also Still Star-Crossed! That was a TV show and I was so intrigued and impressed by how closely they followed the book but also deviated from it.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I just watched the new IT. I tried reading the Stephen King book years and years ago, but didn't get very far because the story was just not doing anything for me. But now I wonder if perhaps I was just too impatient, and that maybe I should have stuck it out. Watching the new movie has tempted me to go back and try it again. I have a feeling I might like it a lot more now that my reading tastes have matured.

Return to “Films and Books”