Mixed Feelings about Little House on the Prairie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Mixed Feelings about Little House on the Prairie

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

This concerns TV rather than films of course. If it came down to it, I would HAVE to vote for the books rather than the TV series, and especially disliked the way the Laura/Almanzo romance was treated on TV, plus, sorry, much as I like Michael Landon, Pa HAS to have a beard. But I am not as hostile to the TV series as it used to be - I have subsequently found out that in some (admittedly rare) instances it is more factually true - eg, that they family lived in a hotel for a while. I also like some of the TV only characters like Hester Sue and Nancy. And in one aspect I do wonder if the TV show is more 'emotionally true' - where Mary refuses at first to accept her blindness and smashes the mirror rather than being nothing but patient and brave like in the books. I could, of course, be misjudging her, and like I said, I still prefer the books - maybe I'm just getting mellow in my old age ..... :?
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I agree. Mary seemed to be a little too hard-headed to accept her blindness with so much complacency.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I like the book better, but I wish there was more of them. I always feel like there should be more when I finish that series.
Phantom24601
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phantom24601.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Phantom24601 »

I read the books first, when I was child and they have always been great favorites of mine. I didn't see the show until I was older but I loved it too. Yes, Michael Landon took many liberties with the source material and I have no idea what the real Laura Ingalls would think of some of the episodes. The independant, pioneer spirit of the books was nowhere to be found in the tv series. The Ingalls' stayed put in Walnut Grove for most of the episodes as opposed to continuing west. I also thought Michael Landon wasn't really a good fit as Pa. He didn't have the right look and there was always something about him as Pa that grated a little. But those things aside, I liked the series, especially the first five or six seasons. It was fun and sweet and it takes you back to a different time- usually the 70s, and I don't mean the 1870s. The men had very groovy hair.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
DougBLedford

Post by DougBLedford »

How dare you people insult Michael Landon! haha I loved the "Little House on the Prairie" television show, and, yes, the books are the better representation. Nevertheless, the show definitely has its charm, and many of the topics covered are still relatable today (racism, prejudice, drug addiction, etc.) Anywho, I do agree with most of the sentiments displayed here (Pa with no beard?), but Michael Landon is still the man. I'm guessing no one has seen "Highway to Heaven."
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I've recently been re-watching some of the series on True TV and actually it's amazing just what themes are covered in a so-called safe kids' show - a man being burnt alive, people being dragged to their deaths in wagons careering down mountainsides - maybe it should come x-rated!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
cosette1789
Currently Reading: Invisible Ink
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cosette1789.html

Post by cosette1789 »

I also prefer the book series to the television show, but the two mediums were clearly intended for different audiences. Both were enjoyable in their own ways.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

The books are definitely better. I feel like this is the case 95 percent of the time.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

DougBLedford wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 23:26 How dare you people insult Michael Landon! haha I loved the "Little House on the Prairie" television show, and, yes, the books are the better representation. Nevertheless, the show definitely has its charm, and many of the topics covered are still relatable today (racism, prejudice, drug addiction, etc.) Anywho, I do agree with most of the sentiments displayed here (Pa with no beard?), but Michael Landon is still the man. I'm guessing no one has seen "Highway to Heaven."
Did the actor who portrayed Mister Edwards also star in "Highway to Heaven"? I swear I saw him on it when one of the local channels played them back to back, but we never got home in time to watch the entire episode.

Were the series related or is it just Landon hiring a cast mate from Little House for another series?
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

After realizing Grace Ingalls married a distant cousin of mine, I read up a little on the family. Apparently, Rose Wilder is considered one of the founders of American Libertarianism alongside Ayn Rand.

She inherited the franchise when her mother died, and she willed it to a Libertarian friend after her death who was responsible for getting it turned into a TV series. What's interesting, if you watch the show with that in mind, you see the Libertarian ideals play out on screen...They don't need the government, because everyone helps each other...neighbors helping neighbors and all that. There's a sense of personal, social responsibility. People thrive off their own efforts and their own hard work, and when disaster strikes, everyone comes together and pitches in to get through the trouble.

Return to “Films and Books”