What did you think of the movie "Get out"?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
CindyAuthor
Bookshelf Size: 0

What did you think of the movie "Get out"?

Post by CindyAuthor »

As the tile says, I'd like your opinion on the movie. I might write a short story with a similar subject matter and need some pointers.
retrogh93

Post by retrogh93 »

What makes Get Out more than just a slam-bang scarefest is that, in its own darkly satiric way, it is also a movie about racial paranoia that captures the zeitgeist in ways that many more "prestigious" movies don't
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Get Out absolutely blew me away. I HATE horror films and all scary things, but so many people told me I had to watch this movie so I did. I loved it because it wasn't really a horror film at its core. It's a social commentary that uses horror to expose the pervasive racism in our culture. I was terrified and exhilarated the entire movie, but most importantly I was still thinking about the lessons learned long after the adrenaline wore off.
ALONZO44

Post by ALONZO44 »

I thought it was a good movie, I don't think its academy award worthy, there were a few flaws in the movie. Such as how did he get the ear plugs in his ears when his hands were bound?
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Essentially_Literate »

I thought it was a great movie! I'm not usually the person to watch scary movies but I was completely obsessed! A few days before I watched it, I also watched The Visit and now I'm addicted to the suspense/horror genre thanks to these two movies. I definitely hope that there will be a sequel!
SLD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SLD »

Mixed feelings. Definitely a thriller, which I normally enjoy. But a little too bazaar and over the top. Thank goodness for good friends!
Philippians 4:8
Greta Morgan
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greta-morgan.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Greta Morgan »

I loved Get Out! I didn't find it necessarily scary (I am huge horror fan) as much as just very engaging. The characters were well written, and the subject matter left the viewer with a lot to think about. There were a few ticky things (but those have haunted movies since moving pictures have started), but overall, it was a solid story. I'm a screenwriter (mostly thrillers and horror) and have often gone back to use it as a reference for my own story telling techniques. I would love to hear more about your short story. Good luck.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
b_arnall

Post by b_arnall »

I absolutely don't understand all the hype. Basically it was the same concept as The Skeleton Key with Kate Hudson but without the romatic novelesque setting or detail.
nataliecannon13
Currently Reading: An Arsène Lupin Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 1189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nataliecannon13.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by nataliecannon13 »

I loved Get Out! My favorite part was how the writers made the mostly un-tangible concept of racism the horror movie monster. The most terrifying monsters are the ones that are real.
Clwarnecke
Currently Reading:

Post by Clwarnecke »

I personally could pass on Get Out. Now Lion was great movie even if you had to read half of it.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

ALONZO44 wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 05:40 I thought it was a good movie, I don't think its academy award worthy, there were a few flaws in the movie. Such as how did he get the ear plugs in his ears when his hands were bound?
There was a part that showed he could bent double to the point his face could get near his hands.

For my part, I liked it a lot. The concept is quite original compared to other movies of the genre nowadays, and the overall theme very appropriate for the times that are lived in the USA. Still, I do feel the final act was a bit over the top and that the movie fell into some tipical horror clichés that it could have been easily avoided. As to whether it deserves to be an Oscar material, I haven't seen all of the nominees this year, but it doesn't feel so out of place. It's not like they're all masterpieces on a whole other level; among the winners throughout the decade, only King's Speech, Argo and Birdman (although the three possible endings thing, of which only one seems logical enought, was unnecesary) seem remarkable to me.
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

It was a good movie .it wasn't in the league of some horror movies I watched ,but the concept of racism made it interesting .The parody was hilariously funny.
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Nazapeace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nazapeace »

The twist was shocking... At first I didn't understand what was happening only to find out and with the fact the girlfriend was on her family's side.. Gosh I was so angry and shocked
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Is it terrible that I felt let-down with this movie? After all of the hype, I was overly excited to finally see it but then I felt that it was just a Stepford Wives knock-off with a more relevant political undertone.

Does this make me terribly overcritical!? :eusa-think:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Get out is an horror movie about racism except this guys don't hate black, in act they love black so much they want to be black. They believe those cliche' about black men being stronger, faster so they want to steal their bodies. #notcool :|

Return to “Films and Books”