Would you prefer a book to a movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Re: Would you prefer a book to a movie

Post by ZeroChill »

Yes I'll prefer a book over a movie anytime. But sometimes it also depends on availability. If a person doesn't has much free time on his hands then watching a movie may be the only option
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I definitely prefer the book. Most of the time I read the book first and the movie lets me down.
Meem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Meem »

I feel that movies change the story, cut some favourite scenes, this spoils the book for me.. so in the end I would rather read and not watch.. Unless I didnt like the book..
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Read the book. Always read the book.
Trixy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trixy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Trixy »

A book is always better than a movie, but i love both anyway. Sometimes is even hard to decide what to choose to do.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Monae3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Monae3 »

I love to read, so reading would always be my first choice. But if i don't know a movie was based off of a book before i watch, i get excited that I can compare the two. In my experience the books are better because you get to know the characters better.
Phantom24601
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phantom24601.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Phantom24601 »

I much prefer a book. Movies are well and good. There are some I like even better than their books (Little Dorrit, BBC). But usually a book immerses you in the world of the characters, providing description and depth that movies can't. Also, if a movie has a novelization it's usally well worth reading for the extra insight into the characters.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I'd rather read a book than to watch a movie. Because most often the story repeats. The characters just change. You will know the ending. Why waste money? But if the movie is really different after checking the preview then I'll watch it. Because there's a catch on sounds effect.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
JeanetteWatts
Currently Reading: Morgan
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by JeanetteWatts »

The book is always better than the movie... except for the Lord of the Rings trilogy. All that time just walking through the forest, and describing languages, and scenery, become a much better story when you can just hear the languages, see the scenery, and the walking is covered by a simple editing process called ellipsis....
Melissat0097

Post by Melissat0097 »

When it comes to books to movies. I preferred the book. Its hard because everyone has there own idea about how the characters look or should act. It takes the write a while to write the book and to try and make a two hour movie out of that its kind of hard. I always like the book only because its gives the detail that the movie missed. Here is one example of that in the movie IT. The book is by Stephen King. They had to leave out things because they felt some of the material was inappropriate for viewers. When you watch the movie IT they were able to give enough details to make the movie good. There was still details in the movie that made me feel like something was missing.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

I try to always read the book first, because the book is the original form of the idea. Adaptations are only a few people's interpretations of that original form. Of course, after reading the book, I will always want to watch the film adaptation, because I am in love with movies as well, but overall I like to read the book first. I've seen good and bad adaptations (won't get into that debate here), but they're always still adaptations.
Ally Juma

Post by Ally Juma »

I prefer movie to a book b cz is practical, u can see what u imagined in the book, u can hear voices n sounds which add more passion, n in the movie many things are added/modified do to the skill of the actor/actress. And the most of all is difficult to forget what I hv seen in the movie
TALACHUM

Post by TALACHUM »

I prefer both, but most of the time most of us prefer watching movies. I love watching movies and i love reading books but reading books takes time while watching movies can only take few of your time, and most of us have work and we only have few spare times so we tend to be practical.
Specialvizx

Post by Specialvizx »

Since is very interesting to see acting that read about it, I will prefer movie...
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I prefer books because you get more information than they can ever make into a movie. The imagination has no limitation, but technology and budgetary constraints do. Also, I find that movies are an interpretation of the book, and so they won't always be like we pictured them because everybody interprets books differently. I do however watch movies because I like to see things the way other people see them, and sometimes I am pleasantly surprised by the things they are able to accomplish.

Return to “Films and Books”