Would you prefer a book to a movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Re: Would you prefer a book to a movie

Post by DustinPBrown »

I actually don't mind the order I read/watch things. It's nice to not be spoiled in a book, but it's also nice if you've seen the movie to have those characters already imagined for you.
emmaav88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaav88.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by emmaav88 »

I love to read. I love the thrill of being able to create the characters in your mind. I do find it really difficult watching a movie after I read the book as I already have in my mind why the characters will be like. I have certain books so much that I refuse to watch the movie. Hunger Games and 50 Shades are on the list of movies I am never going to watch.
Melee3
Currently Reading: Alien in the Delta
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melee3.html
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Melee3 »

I feel the exact same way.
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
Clwarnecke
Currently Reading:

Post by Clwarnecke »

I prefer books to movie. I did not read A Long Way Home but did see the movie Lion that was based on the book. Wish I would have read book first.
ayong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ayong »

I would take d movie first
Shawnadc

Post by Shawnadc »

I prefer reading the book first, to me it gives a better feel for the story.
ekgonzales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekgonzales.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ekgonzales »

I love the book over the movie! The book allows you to imagine such vivid pictures that sometimes the movie ruins that.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

If it's character driven, the book. Movies just can't do justice to inner monologues and the depth of the character you get in a book. If it's an action with stunning locations, the book will be better as there's more to it, but I still really want to see the movie!
smythemilie
Currently Reading: The Operator
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smythemilie.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by smythemilie »

I would probably watch the movie first and then read the book. I have a bad habit of doing that but in my opinion it makes the book even better because there are unexpected scenes and you learn more about the characters. It adds a whole new level of excitement over reading the book and then watching the movie. Often times movie adaptations of books are not as good so it leads to a bit of disappointment, my way there is no disappointment but a lot of excitement.
Amyrich

Post by Amyrich »

To be honest, I think I would first read the blurb on the book. If it really intrigued me and I like the writing, I'd start with the book. Otherwise, I'd just be lazy and watch the movie. Very rarely do the movie versions of books do justice to the original, because there just isn't enough time to or scope to bring out all the details in a 2.5-hour film. However, one exception has been detailed in a Romeo and Juliet essay I read that compares the original to the various versions and adaptations of the story.
mollusca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by mollusca »

I love reading books and as well compairing it physically through movies, it sticks on my memory for longer period
ikechukwu j b

Post by ikechukwu j b »

I prefer books than movies
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Obviously a book. A movie is precise and book is detailed and as i love details, i would prefer book.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
ABM_19

Post by ABM_19 »

I would prefer a book than a movie. I appreciated more of the story if I read it, as my mind works and visualizes the events. Also, movies tend to cut/change scenes if they dramatize the story in the book; making it a bit different from the original work and may fail what I had in my mind/expectation.
lizbnandez

Post by lizbnandez »

I prefer a book to a movie because books show more detail and help you feel more connected to its plot while movies only show what the imagination of another person on screen and I like to imagine things on my own because things can look the way I want and I won’t feel bothered about the description like I would feel bothered from a movie

Return to “Films and Books”