Game of thrones or A Song of Ice and Fire?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Tridibesh
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tridibesh.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Game of thrones or A Song of Ice and Fire?

Post by Tridibesh »

I know this topic has surely been discussed a lot of times but why not? To me the books are better because what predominantly made game of thrones the biggest TV series in the world was its unpredictability but now it feels a bit predictable.

But when you consider the books... Its still pretty much open. Raegar's son ( from his first wife ) is alive and according to the chapters released by Martin has already taken Storm's End (Baratheon's headquarters) , Sansa is still on Vale, Blackfish still alive, Lady Stone heart aka Catherine Stark wants Jaime's head and if the chapter of dance with dragons be considered then Brienna is taking it to her, Bran is stuck on some weird vision, Tyrion is with the second sons with Jorah and the little Penny , Stanis is still ki king and if reports suggest is doung quite well for himself and... Jon is still dead! So many cliffhangers in a single book with the chances of taking off in so many directions. Really what's not to like?

But what about you guys, which one do you think was better, the book or the TV series?
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I wouldn't know which to decide from because I just recently purchased the game of thrones since they were incredibly cheap. I have never heard of A Song of Ice and Fire.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Tridibesh
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tridibesh.html

Post by Tridibesh »

ebethina wrote:I wouldn't know which to decide from because I just recently purchased the game of thrones since they were incredibly cheap. I have never heard of A Song of Ice and Fire.
The first three books are more or less the same as the TV shows but what truely gets exciting is from book four. Continue reading it and you will see the difference.
Greyhound
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Greyhound »

Littlefinger is my favourite character shame they killed him in tv.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Until the fourth season, it is a fairly faithful adaptation of the books; there are some minor changes, but most are acceptable (except for Littlefinger's impossible trip to Harrenhal along other inconsistencies of time and distance in the writers' eagerness to place
certain characters in certain places at certain ocations). In the fifth they rushed many events and erased many secondary plots with new characters. It's not like all of that was necessarily a bad thing; for instance, switching Sansa for Jeyne Poole seemed right, just as Jon Snow's fate in the series in contrast to that of DoD given the conflict between the wildlings and the crows in the wall felt forced. From season six onwards, the lack of source material is very noticeable. Although some moments have been very well achieved, one can see the lack of building up towards them and the repetitiveness in the situations and dialogues between the characters.

You have to take into account that this opinion comes from someone who felt somewhat disappointed with A Feast for Crows, and who also felt that A Dance with Dragons draged a little too long considering the plot. I think the story got lost too much in secondary characters and new locations considering how it began around the conflict between the Starks and the Lanisters plus the ghost of the Targaryens. The development of the last seasons in also an obvious consequence of Martin's delay in finishing his last two books; even so, I think they could have adapted FoC and DoD in at least three seasons to compensate...
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I'm A fan of A Song of Ice and Fire for the rich descriptions and the character's voices. But probably most of all, I can't stand watching/hearing any sexual assault. When I read about it, it's easier to ignore by skipping over those scenes.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

GabbiV wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 23:05 I'm A fan of A Song of Ice and Fire for the rich descriptions and the character's voices. But probably most of all, I can't stand watching/hearing any sexual assault. When I read about it, it's easier to ignore by skipping over those scenes.
I was thinking very much the same thing about reading unsavory scenes versus seeing them. All the gore and sexual content is easier to handle in a book format. I can censor my own visuals but when it's on the tv I end up peaking through my fingers until it ends.

I really enjoyed the seasons I saw of the show but the books are just so captivating.
Ritch_Bentley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritch-bentley.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Ritch_Bentley »

Books, hands down. Although I will say I hadn't heard of the books until the 1st season of the HBO show, then went out and bought them all and read them before season 2 aired. In my opinion the show has butchered Dorne and it's characters, and that's my biggest fault with it. It also screwed up the Iron Islands. But the show has done things better than the books, like giving more play to Varys, Littlefinger, Bron, and the Hound. Those four characters are really good for secondary roles (at least until season 7).
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I love Game of Thrones its actually my favourite series. But I haven't been lucky enough to read the books. That's something I have been looking forward to for quite a while.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
David Milaham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-milaham.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by David Milaham »

I'm not very certain on this, but I think I'm fine with both. It's hard for me to decide what's best, and I guess I just don't mind.

Return to “Films and Books”