What did you think of It (2017)?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

What did you think of It (2017)?

Post by AliceofX »

Saw in the theatres last week. I thought it was a well-done horror movie, 7/10 stars. That said, I haven't read the Stephen King book, or seen any other adaptations of it, so I can't really compare it to anything else.

For those who have seen the latest version, what did you think of it? How does it compare to the source material and other versions?
Amber Nichole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-nichole.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by Amber Nichole »

I personally haven't read the book, either (shame on me), but I absolutely enjoyed it. It was only recently that I saw the original It mini-series. I would say that I was disappointed, but I laughed so hard that I suppose I enjoyed it on some level. However, the acting was incredibly tacky, I didn't find it at all frightening, and not even Tim Curry could work his magic well enough. Of course, I'm saying this as someone who watched the mini-series as an adult; I know the mini-series holds a lot of sentimental value for those who watched it at younger ages.

The new It movie, I felt, was so much better. Of course, we have improved our technology and techniques over time, so many of the scenes using CGI or blood looked infinitely more real. I did have issues with the scene in Beverly's bathroom, though, with the explosion of blood. It looked like some really outdated red filter was used to shoot that portion of the movie. However, the performances were spot on. Henry Bowers was far more intimidating this time around, the relationship between the Losers' Club felt more organic, and Bill Skarsgård's rendition of It gave me chills instead of having me laughing on the floor.

Overall, I was incredibly pleased with it, and I am anxious for part two.

I would recommend watching the original adaptation, if nothing else, at least for the experience.
Fictions Mistress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictions-mistress.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Fictions Mistress »

I haven't read the book (though I've read a lot about it) but I really loved the film! I thought Bill Skarsgard was brilliant as It, and I was surprised at how many light-hearted, genuinely funny moments there were! Amazing cast, I really loved the kids.

I like horror movies that aren't all about fear, and this one felt like a mix between horror and coming of age. Love it!
Tridibesh
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tridibesh.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Tridibesh »

Never read the book but loved the movie. Didn't find it scary though...maybe because clowns never really scared me. The jokes were very well timed and the kids... Waoh. I mean, what acting skills. Brilliant! Those guys are the reason why IT is such a big commercial success. Hats off to them!
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

I was disappointed. The CGI looked terrible. It wasn't scary to me. I didn't like that they changed Georgie's death into making it a mystery instead of Bill avenging his brother's death. And I don't like that they made Beverly a damsel in distress. I would have liked to have seen the scene in the book where she uses the slingshot to defeat Pennywise, for Mike to be the bibliophile instead of Ben, and to have not had it where The Loser's Club separated and acted too chicken to go after Pennywise. In the book. they went through it till the end. The only one who backed out was Stan.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

I have read the original version of this movie and read the book, both were much better to me than this new version. I think the hype about this movie was simply based on the trailers that mostly emphasized a more illustrated version of Pennywise. I also believe that the recent incident and hype regarding the "Clown Sightings" has helped increase interest in this film.
ABanderas42315
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ABanderas42315 »

I have read the book many times. I always think the book is better. In this case I enjoyed the new version of the movie much more then the original. I like the better graphics and the actors as well. I am a huge Stephen King fan. I liked the newer movie adaptation much more. Im excited for part 2.
Lynn Kimani
Currently Reading:

Post by Lynn Kimani »

IT 2017 is a good horror movie. I would personally give it a rating of 7.8/10. I haven' t read the book yet but unlike most horror movies, I did not find it predictable which is a good thing.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I recently watched this film, and I really enjoyed it a lot. A bit surprising, since I wasn't expecting much, but all the actors did a great job and the suspenseful atmosphere was done really well. I was afraid it was going to be too much for me (in terms of being too creepy!) but I managed :D
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

I did enjoy watching "It" (2017) the movie... has bizarre and spooky scenes that makes me jump a few times... haven't read the book though.
romance fan

Post by romance fan »

I fell in love with the new pennywise. Bill skarsgard portrayal of it made me forget that I've been scared of clowns with 2 exceptions since I was little. he made the character seem more modern for a horror film. it just felt more natural for me since I'm a horror film fan.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I think it was a good movie and succeeded on aiming to scare children in a not so subtle way but with a lesson to not let fears get to oneself.
Philosophicalbread1

Post by Philosophicalbread1 »

The movie gave it justice. I think there is going to be a second part because the movie didn’t show the stories of the characters when they were adults. Looking forward to it.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

I actually really liked it. The chemistry between the kids were good and there were a lot of good scares. There were a lot of funny moments in the movie too, especially by Richie and his comments. I watched it three times already and I still laugh at the funny moments. The clown crawling out of the projector still gets me. I can't wait for the sequel!
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I recently watched the movie and its okay. Its not scary as I thought it would be and It has a good story. Obviously the target market of the movie are children.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi

Return to “Films and Books”