From storybook to movie series

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Walterevws
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walterevws.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

From storybook to movie series

Post by Walterevws »

When a novel is made into a movie does the deal get better or worse?.
AmandaMac
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandamac.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by AmandaMac »

What do you mean by does the deal get better or worse?
Walterevws
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walterevws.html

Post by Walterevws »

I mean is there value added to your reading experience,does it add clarity and detail to the book or does it numb your power of imagination.
AmandaMac
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandamac.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by AmandaMac »

I don't think it adds or takes away from my reading experience. My imagination will come out with a completely different character than what was described. I have seen movies based off of books and gotten upset over the actor choices because they aren't no where near what I was thinking, only to be told that the actors are as described in the book and that I was wrong. The movies are just interesting you get to see where someone else's imagination took them.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Walterevws wrote:I mean is there value added to your reading experience,does it add clarity and detail to the book or does it numb your power of imagination.
Interesting question. I have felt both ways about it, so I think it depends on how well the movie is made and how well it follows the book's storyline. I cannot stand when I've read a book and then see the movie and it's a completely different story. Examples: I read the book, "The Reverant" and then my husband went and saw the movie, which he loved. He came home eager to discuss his favorite scenes with me, but none of those scenes were in the book. There were full storylines that were created solely for the movie. Also, Nicholas Sparks' novel, "The Longest Ride." I reviewed the book and when I saw the previews for the film, the story was completely different. This is very annoying.

Another thing that can make it disappointing, is when you've read the book and have images in your mind of the character's appearance or the scenery, only to have the cast and setting not live up to expectations. I enjoyed reading the "Twilight" series, but found some of the casting to be a distraction because it wasn't how I had envisioned them. Then, it becomes difficult to conjure up your original perspectives on the book because they are forever tainted with visions of Robert Pattinson & Kristen Stewart.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

That "deal" depends on how well the book was adapted into a movie. There were successful books like percy jackson ended up as terrible movies and below average books like princess diaries made into wonderful movies.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

Most of the time I'm frustrated by the movie because it didn't meet the expectations I built up in my imagination, but occasionally it exceeds my expectations and makes me appreciate the story even more. One example of this is Pride and Prejudice. I still prefer the book over any of the movie adaptations, but like you said I felt they added to the appreciation I originally had.

Return to “Films and Books”