Does Watching of Movies Affect Reading books

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Re: Does Watching of Movies Affect Reading books

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Yes. When I read a book, I imagine everything in my mind playing like a movie. That imagination get influenced by the movie if I watch it first. I'd like to create the world in my head first and then see it play out in front of me.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I prefer watching movies- 9 out of 10 times if there is a well done movie adaptation I'll watch it first. If it piques my interest I'll check the book out afterwards. It's rare I'll read a book before the film, that would usually only happen as a result of my being excited for the movie.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

For me, it doesn't effect my reading as there are times I just want to recline and read a book over watching a movie. If there's a film adaptation of a book I read, I may or may not watch the film; depends on the preview.
Joseph Dunn
Currently Reading: The Paris mysteries
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-dunn.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Joseph Dunn »

On the whole, I believe watching movies definitely affects reading books for the masses. Movies spend a great deal on marketing movies to get as many people as they can to watch, where marketing for books is done on a much smaller scale. Individually, we have so many options regarding content consumption, that all other media could potentially affect the reading of books. Personally, I've decided that reading books is my medium of choice, but I am constantly distracted by the flood of content available in the market.
FJCJ55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FJCJ55 »

I just realized that I prefer watching the movie first and read the book afterwards. The reason for that is because I already know the movie version will alternate events. When I read the author's version, it gives me more insight and I am somehow able to imagine the missing keys in the film.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Offcourse, I think it affects the thought process alot. The fun of visualising while reading is something I've always loved. Moreover I think that watching movies may kill your own perspectives because it doesn't let you to think beyond a certain limit.
It's pretty sad to see how people are much inclined towards watching movies than grabbing a good book.
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

I think both have an impact on each other. Whether you watch movie and then read a book or read a book and then watch movie. I have experienced both the situations. Personally, I prefer reading the book first.
Amna Khalid
Asfiya Z
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asfiya-z.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Asfiya Z »

For me, yes it does. Because when I read a book after watching the movie, my imagination isn't created by me, but it is controlled by the movie that I saw.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

Depending on the book/movie. A lot of the time, you are able to pick up more with the character development when reading that you do not get through the movies/tv series.

Return to “Films and Books”