Does Watching of Movies Affect Reading books

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Does Watching of Movies Affect Reading books

Post by mamalui »

I prefer reading a book to watching a movie. Because I find books are much more descriptive compared to movies and take an in-depth look at everything from the appearance of a character to scenery and emotions. Prefer books.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
olivias1082
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by olivias1082 »

Personally, the only thing that changes for me is that I no longer imagine what the characters look like unless a particular one was not mentioned in the book (like Ben from Twilight or Nancy from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief). I still enjoy reading the book very much, even more so at times. Sometimes the movie convinces me to read the book because I hadn't ever given it a thought.
I love movies. I own hundreds, but I also own 300+ books and have read the vast majority of them.
Taurus_27496
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taurus-27496.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Taurus_27496 »

Yes it does as everything is visually presented to you and hence there no room for imagination. The reader cannot sketch the characters or scenes as per the details give in the book.
hhepburn

Post by hhepburn »

Most of the Spanish movie are in reading form, so watching movies do have an effect on reading.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I think it definitely has for a lot of people. Personally (and I have friends like this as well), it has not affected my reading because I still do that much more than I watch tv. But overall, sad to say, I think it has affected a lot of people's reading
Thebookstealer
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Thebookstealer »

For me, yes. There's a certain feeling that can't be shrugged off when you already know how things will turn out.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Yes I think watching of TV and internet surfing has affected reading of books by many persons. This is so because many people prefer to see real life pictures as opposed to conjured up images.
Patricia joyce

Post by Patricia joyce »

I think that it depends whether someone wants to read or just to watch , some people just dont like to rrad and some people love to read because they created the imaginations in their mind . i love the topic it is interesting the fact that it is true because people nowadays rarely read novels and books and enjoyed watching movie as if it was the summary of the book ..
alicecarol
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by alicecarol »

To Me I Love Both Reading And Watching Television. But I Think Books Are Still Better. Because, Books You Move With Everywhere You Go!
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

Yes, it has affected reading. I know of many people who says reading is too taxing and watching is way easier and more relaxing. For my part, when I watch a movie-adaptation of a book, if I didn't like the film, I tend to not read the book anymore. I may pick up the book in the future, but it will probably take a while, especially if the film-adaptation was really bad.
manisha83

Post by manisha83 »

Yes I think so. I would like to submit that to some extent it is true that many people do not prefer to read a novel or book once they have watched the movie based on the same story. It happens, because they generally do not want to waste there time in reading lengthy contents due to their busy life schedule or lack of interest in reading. I have no hesitation to submit here that I love to read good books, and reading books gives me immense pleasure and it makes me feel good for many days. Also, if you have read a specific book and you liked it and after some months you watch a movie based on same book you would not find it as much interesting as the book. It happen with me many times. But it is also a fact that after watching a movie based on a good novel or book you would never prefer to read the same story in books that you have already known. For example millions of people have watched all series of Harry Potter but how many of them have read the books of same series.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I don't believe watching movies affect the longing for reading a book. I believe watching a movies solidifies the yearning for reading the book because movies can't show every scene no he matter how well they try. Watching the movies increases the curiosity one gets to read the book, For instance after watching hunger games I couldnt rest till I had read the book.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

Many people do prefer watching but I like reading better because it enables you to create/visualize your own character, which gives you a more special connection with them.
chipmunck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipmunck.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by chipmunck »

If I am going to watch the movie based on a book I tend to want to watch the movie first. The latest mistake I made was watching "Me before You" after reading the book. They took characters out or made an important storyline less important in the movie. I was horrified and hated the movie. I tend to like the movie if I watch it first and then read the book. I also did this with the Harry Potter books but that seemed okay, though they took a favorite storyline out of the movie so I was a little disappointed.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Yes sadly its very true.Few people nowadays take their time to read a book.The opposite applies to movies and maybe its the amount of promotions movies get.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Films and Books”