Does Watching of Movies Affect Reading books

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-solomon-ikechu.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Does Watching of Movies Affect Reading books

Post by Nwoko Solomon Ikechu »

Do You think (Watching) Movies (Visual stories) have Affected the Rate of Reading books?

Most people prefer watching a story/novel and other books (may be historical books) being acted or displayed in or as a movie to reading the story or book on paper. To me, this has in a way affected reading interest rate, especially in Africa. Do you think watching movies have affected reading books? If yes, how do we carry the two (watching movies and reading books) along?

-- 09 Aug 2017, 15:21 --
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu wrote:Do You think (Watching) Movies (Visual stories) have Affected the Rate of Reading books?

Most people prefer watching a story/novel and other books (may be historical books) being acted or displayed in or as a movie to reading the story or book on paper. To me, this has in a way affected reading interest rate, especially in Africa. Do you think watching movies have affected reading books? If yes, how do we carry the two (watching movies and reading books) along?
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I think movies have affected how much people read. I think it goes both ways though. Sometimes people will love the movies based on books so much that they'll read the book, or they'll be perfectly satisfied with the movies and not bother with the books. I think it's all just about personal choice. I don't know if a lack of movies would really increase reading. I think people who like to read will continue reading no matter how many movies are made. But I guess here in the US, movies and television have been a part of our culture for so long it's hard to say for sure.
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu

I have heard people say I don't want to read this book, I have watched the movie or I did not enjoy the book when I read it or it is very difficult to understanding, but when I watch the movie I loved it, it was very interesting. I have also read books and later watch the movies and enjoy and understanding the books more because I watched it as movies. I am not advocating for scrapping or reduction of movies, but how to carry both books and movies along. Thank you so much for your wonderful contribution Mallory.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

I've noticed the busier I get in seasons of life, the more I'm likely to sit down for a movie or TV show than pick up a book. Most of the books I've been investing in though are classics: higher reading level and require more brain-work. Movies are, simply put, easier.

But I've always loved movies and books. Nothing can replace books in my heart, it just goes in spurts.

How to carry both along? Movies have really stepped up their game: graphics, plot, actors. Everything is formulated to connect with the audience, and that's something books--in a way-- can't do. Books can't offer sound or actual images (aside from graphic novels and illustrated works). But movies can't get as deep as books. I think part of a solution would be to teach the value of books at an earlier age. A lot of kids in America, Australia, Canada, ect. are playing with iPads and smart phones more than cardboard books and age-appropriate novels. I don't know how different ease of access is in Africa, though. I apologize for my limited understanding.

One thought: paper is less glamorous than computer or movie screens. Maybe if there was a way to convey that both are valuable and intelligent, the pull would be stronger for people to pick up a paperback? I'm just brainstorming here, hope I'm hitting some of the topic you intended, Nwoko Solomon Ikechu.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I believe watching a movie can both help and hurt a written book. I prefer to read the book first and then see the movie. But it depends on how much time I have. During busy times, I will see the movie first just so I can be current on any discussions. Often I find the movie and book are very different. Books can have more details as they are not limited like movies to a limited play time. They usually offer more background and details. If the movie is not good, most people will not even think about reading the book. I am the same. I will always follow a good movie with reading the actual book just to get more. Plus there is always that added curiosity as to how closely the movie preserved the authors work.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Nwoko Solomon Ikechu wrote:I have heard people say I don't want to read this book, I have watched the movie or I did not enjoy the book when I read it or it is very difficult to understanding, but when I watch the movie I loved it, it was very interesting. I have also read books and later watch the movies and enjoy and understanding the books more because I watched it as movies. I am not advocating for scrapping or reduction of movies, but how to carry both books and movies along. Thank you so much for your wonderful contribution Mallory.
You're right. I've heard people say that too. I think movies have the potential to inspire reading when they are part of a book series. They can figure out what happens next without having to wait for the movie. But that's not always the case. It's really a delicate balance. It would be nice if they were able to inspire more people to read, but you're right, I think it's more likely to make them feel like they don't need the book experience. It's like Angela said:
Angela Stripes wrote:One thought: paper is less glamorous than computer or movie screens. Maybe if there was a way to convey that both are valuable and intelligent, the pull would be stronger for people to pick up a paperback? I'm just brainstorming here, hope I'm hitting some of the topic you intended, Nwoko Solomon Ikechu.
Paper is less glamorous for sure. Technology may be more of the problem than movies themselves, especially with the younger generation. I see so many kids with tablets and iphones playing games/doing things that offer them instant gratification. I think instilling incentives to read at a young age, some kind of school program that rewards that behavior, could help. When I was younger, I got really into reading because my school had a program called Accelerated Reading. You read books, took quizzes on them and got points according to the length/difficulty of the book. You had to have a certain amount of points each month and there were competitions and prizes for the top readers. But competitions/points are something that work really well for me. I don't know. If kids are reading books before they are seeing the film adaptation, they might see the value of reading because, like Angela said, books can go so much deeper.
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu

Angela, you have made a wonderful contribution. In Africa, over 80% prefer watching movies to reading books. The truth is that both movie and book is very important, but it is not encouraging to allow children master the habit of watching movies when they have not master the habit of reading books. This is basically the problem we face in Africa. Watching movie is easy, just sit down and focus your eyes on TV and laugh, but to pick up a book and read needs some levels of determinations. However, when one learn and acquire this determination in early age or childhood stage, it become easy for him/her to read book at all time. Building the interest of children to fall deeply in love with books or reading books is one of the best ways to carry reading books and watching movies along, because, I don't think there is anyone who find watching movies difficult. Everyone of you have made a wonderful contribution just like Angela did, thanks a lot to all of you.

-- 19 Aug 2017, 20:09 --
The Dizzy Diva wrote:I believe watching a movie can both help and hurt a written book. I prefer to read the book first and then see the movie. But it depends on how much time I have. During busy times, I will see the movie first just so I can be current on any discussions. Often I find the movie and book are very different. Books can have more details as they are not limited like movies to a limited play time. They usually offer more background and details. If the movie is not good, most people will not even think about reading the book. I am the same. I will always follow a good movie with reading the actual book just to get more. Plus there is always that added curiosity as to how closely the movie preserved the authors work.
Nice and wonderful contribution Dizzy. Thanks a lot.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Yes. I prefer to come up with a character's attitude and face from my own imagination, not by some actor who portrays them.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu

Thanks for your contribution Afuglsan
sisabeshy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sisabeshy »

I think it is , especially if the movie is a cliffhanger.
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu

Thanks for your contribution, Sisabeshy
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

I totally agree with Mallory, anyone who wants to read will read. The habit of reading has always been optional and I don't think it will ever be compulsory. I have always and will always depend on the individual.
Mallory Whitaker wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 15:52 I think movies have affected how much people read. I think it goes both ways though. Sometimes people will love the movies based on books so much that they'll read the book, or they'll be perfectly satisfied with the movies and not bother with the books. I think it's all just about personal choice. I don't know if a lack of movies would really increase reading. I think people who like to read will continue reading no matter how many movies are made. But I guess here in the US, movies and television have been a part of our culture for so long it's hard to say for sure.
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu

To grow the habit or interest of reading, I think we need to teach and encourage our young ones to read always. What we mostly have today is movies and cartoon for children which no one needs encouragement to sit and watch. So, if we learn reading culture from early stage or age of our lives, reading will always be our thing, even if we watch lots of movies. Delioness thanks a lot for your contribution.
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

While I do think that both are acceptable ways to entertain people, books do seem to be looking ground. People don't really seem to be talking about the latest books it's always about the latest movie, song, piece of technology. Instead of letting kids watch tv when their little I think they need to be exposed to books more.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
allanronniey96
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by allanronniey96 »

I prefer watching to reading, it is easier for me to comprehend what the story is about while watching as compared to while reading a novel about the same movie.

Return to “Films and Books”