Official Review: Personal Encounters with Cancer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Re: Official Review: Personal Encounters with Cancer

Post by EmunahAn »

Nice review. I like the way the book gives the reader first-hand experience of what cancer patients have to go through. It reminds of Chasing Life, the TV Series.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Riptidemom8
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riptidemom8.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Riptidemom8 »

Cancer Sucks! This sounds like a great book to read however I am not sure I could personally handle a book like this. I lost my mom to cancer a few years ago.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Oliver Ekaso
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-ekaso.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Oliver Ekaso »

Cancers are deadly. A book such as this that gives an awareness of it and hope is to me a very good one.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book is a source of inspiration for those who are fighting cancer and for their loved ones who are helping them to come out of this trauma. In deed its a very good book. And cataclysmic Knight has fully covered the book in a review. A good review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Mercy85
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 218728">Do we know why we believe what we believe</a>
Currently Reading: Lara's Journal
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: Tecnow2

Post by Mercy85 »

Cancer indeed is a wicked disease I appreciate the autghor for the review and also, for eye opening for most of us that have no

idea his ser

-- 27 Sep 2017, 04:06 --

Cancer indeed is a vital disease and I appreciate the reopview author for the eye opening for most of us that have no idea on how terrible this disease called cancer is.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html

Post by Doaa Wael »

This is a very well written review for a such an empowering book. I believe stories that discuss the struggles of others and highlights their journey are very insightful. This book will be on my reading list, thanks to your review :)
Imagination Trumps Reality.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book revolving around the personal accounts of cancer survivors sounds very inspiring. This is not the kind of book I like to read, especially as it has some religious themes, so will pass. This sounds like a good read for cancer patients and their families, though. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Covering the struggle with cancer can be a difficult task, I can only imagine. Cancer affects everyone in one way or another, so this book can be relatable to so many!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I believe that this book is an essential addition to everyone's book shelf and that everyone grows from this book. The onlinebook.org review was amazing and should precede the reading of the book.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This is such a timely book. Because cancer has become the number one killer in the world, it is important to read the stories of those who have experienced this menace first hand.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

Cancer does make everyone's life tough, the patient's and their family. Believing in God and not losing hope is the only way to remain positive and win over cancer. Thanks for the review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Cancer been one of the hectic and the most painful disease, it not only brings suffering to its victims but also to the victims families as well! I believe a collection of data based on true facts may help anyone to get a perfect picture about what cancer is all about. It also paints a picture about how life is for them and through the cancer treatment process. The author's work is highly commendable! Thank you for the detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Chuks Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-daniel.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by Chuks Daniel »

An insightful review of a crucial book that chronicles different diagnosis of cancer disease.Cancer patients and care givers will find the book useful
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Not_half_so_happy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-not-half-so-happy.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Not_half_so_happy »

I don't particularly like stories of cancer because I always group them in the same boat as "the fault in our stars". And the novel mentioned was incredibly depressing and frankly I don't like setting myself up for fits of tears. So I think I'm going to pass on this one.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

Cancer is a dangerous disease, and can lead to death, mainly when not diagnosed on time, but death can equally be avoided, if patients follow the right treatment, and there is diagnosis on time as said. There are different types of cancer, others leading definitely to death, others no, depending always on type of disease. Today, and from recent years, sience has made much progress to this direction.
In this book, we can see the dramatic story of a women, suffering from tongue cancer! She's very sad for this, but it seems she ''accepts'' this fate, and as everybody, she feels weak, before ''power'' of this cancer. However, as author writes, she gets much support and health from her children, who try to encourage her, while their father also is suffering from Alzheimer, another kind of disease that leads to death, at an older age.
The writer is trying to point out, that cancer is not invincible! If patient receives Love from also beloved persons, as well as care and support, cancer can either delay or even cured! The author show this in his writing. And also shows, throughout book, that sometimes, we face tremendous difficulties in our life, but we have to struggle for them, at least try, showing also this way, that one should maintain his/her courage in such cases, here the children- and mainly not lose hope, in these circumstances. Everybody, here the patient, and children will strive to the end, this is reality of existentialism. Let's remember the well known Latin phrase ''Dum spiro spero''=I hope as long as I am alive''. This does not mean that we should escape from reality, but there's always hope in life for the better..

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”